Back to the cinema - will / have you ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Johnny Action, Aug 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I will go back. Seats are very spread out so you won't be close to anybody and masks must be worn except when eating/drinking. Probably safer than being in a bar, a school or a crowded workplace. This is Canada though, not US.

Oatsdad likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Car: four people .. two in the back restricted view.

3. alexpop

Good news nothing I want to see.
    Bad news... anything half decent cinema won’t accept $$$ notes.
    Then there’s more bad news Covid-19, lurking somewhere/ someone. : (

4. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

Exactly. I haven't been to a drive-in movie in probably 25+ years. In the Sacramento area (where I grew up), most of them shut down 20+ years ago. I don't even know where the closest drive in theaters are to where I live now.

5. Big Jimbo

Big Jimbo Forum Resident

Per Center for Disease Control since February 1
    45 Americans under 15 have died with covid. 13,088 died of other causes
    11,371 under 45 died with covid (most with other comorbidities ). 189,592 died of other causes.

my doctor tells me I am high risk...65 and obese although everything else is fine so I have no interest in going out now. Besides living in the New York City suburbs anything I go to like the opera, ballet, sporting events is closed until January.

Maybe some people weigh the risks and decide they are low risk enough. I am not going to tell them one way or another what they should do. But I am old enough to remember in 1968 Hong Kong flu killed 100,0o0 people and nothing got canceled. Three days in the mud at Woodstock...far out...groovy...bring on Sha Na Na!

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I would not go to a movie theater right now.

7. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

And depending on the design of a regular walk-in theater the height of the ceiling will prevent direct circulation of air on patrons to diffuse any aerosol particles. I'm going by the recent study of AC vents in small restaurant venues that blow air directly onto patrons in close proximity to each other thus increasing the chance the virus lands on their food and body.

My 12 screen cineplex theater has VERY HIGH ceiling vents about 20 feet above the seats.

jlocke08 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. alexpop

More concerned with young people in crowded beaches governments have to get their proverbial act together. Shouldn’t be allowed ..help spreading the virus .. never ending.

Though cinemas are pretty low in the Covid o meter... so far.

9. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

There is absolutely no way I am wearing a mask for the length of a film, which seems to be a requirement here, so no.

I have a very respectable home cinema. I don't feel I am missing out on anything really!

10. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

My local theater requires wearing a mask before entering but if in the theater and there's very few people they say it's Ok to take off the mask which I've done watching "The Invisible Man"and "The Rental". Both times there were hardly anyone in the theater which is also a big plus and quite pleasant. My theater has the adjustable recliner seats and swing away table to put snacks on. It's like movie viewing nirvana. All the cold AC air I can stand.

jlocke08 likes this.
  11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

Of course I'll go back to the movies when they open back up,it'll be different but folks will go back,this is America an Americans love the movies.

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'd already been moving away from going to the movies anyway. COVID was the nail in the coffin. Other than the last SW trilogy, there's been nothing I couldn't wait 6 months to see in the comfort and privacy of my own home theater where soda and popcorn costs pennies rather than $20.

13. alexpop

All I can say my 1.600 dvds blu rays aren’t going anywhere. A solace in these times. Miss new film / media releases though.

14. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

where do you live that won't take paper money?! that's frickin' ridiculous. very glad that has not become an issue where i live.

15. alexpop

Some shops, not pret a managers Starbucks fancy coffee places.. Supermarkets take paper money ( good to eat ..Hallelujah)...but not Cinemas, ones that are open. Paper money = Covid.

16. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

been twice to one about 40 minutes from my home. great experience even with a film i've already seen. will go again if inspired by selection.

17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

cinemas because....? and what area is craziness in?

18. alexpop

Paper money = Covid

See Starbucks etc

19. alexpop

I wouldn’t go to a cinema for free now.

Maybe an MCU film.

20. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I barely went before the pandemic for all the negatives others have already stated, these days, no way. But I'm enjoying my 4K TV very much thanks!

21. alexpop

Wouldn’t like to go to the cinema in Paris now, as is ..you have to wear a mask in the theatre and out walking in the street. No mask on outside /street ..six year jail sentence ( latest news). The worlds gone mad.

22. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Alexpop-Money does not equal any more covid chance than any thing else. and Starbucks still takes cash where i live. Jesus people let's not over react.

From CNBC-Despite reports that the World Health Organization was pushing people to use contactless payments, a spokesperson for the WHO tells CNBC Make It it has not issued any warnings or statements about the use of cash. Instead, it reiterated that you should wash your hands, including after handling money, especially if you’re eating or touching food.

For starters, COVID-19 doesn’t spread by penetrating the skin on your hands, Michael Knight, assistant professor of medicine at the George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, tells CNBC Make It.

“Getting coronavirus, or other respiratory viruses like influenza, on your hands only leads to infection when it is transferred from your hand to places like your mouth, nose or eyes,” he says.
    Additionally, if you stick to contactless payments but don’t wash your hands after touching your phone, credit card or a payment terminal, “you are still susceptible to potential infection,” Knight says.

jrice and brownie61 like this.
  23. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

i'm front of the line with all precautions as soon as something new-Tenet?-hits the screen.

24. alexpop

Not in the UK.

25. alexpop

Normally I’m a cup half full guy.
    With Covid

Cup half empty.

Better to be safe than sorry.

So the cinema is a easy one for me. Nothing appealing to see( all subjective)... so I’ll happily give them a miss. Wish new films at least big budget films ie MCU I’d prefer if them came out on media ..I’d pay double the price for them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.