Black Sabbath - 2012 LP Boxset

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Deuce66, Nov 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

I agree it's frustrating, but I don't find it ridiculous. They are a business first, which means major labels with deep pockets still opt for the cheapest route possible sometimes. Unfortunately for us, that's the case with this box set. Although I must reiterate I am bummed out this set is sub par, it "looked" great...

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

I find it hard to reconcile that a major with deep pockets prefers to cheap out while some indie labels/bands with little to no funding can afford to go all out on their vinyl releases, go figure. Quality that is backed up by good word of mouth sells and creates goodwill (fans will want more), in this case it's Black Sabbath the music is known and loved by millions so why cheap out on the manufacturing of a deluxe 1 time vinyl box set? believe me I'll think twice and then some before I purchase anything vinyl related with the Universal name on it.

EL34 likes this.
  3. EL34

EL34 Forum Resident

No argument here. :righton:

4. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I'm really glad I got those Vol 4, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage vinyl releases from Warners; The ones that came out a year or two ago. They sound great! Does anyone know if they were digitals?

5. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

The problem is they had a right to expect good quality fom GZ. The Elbow pressings done there are generaly top quality as well as other Back to Black reissues - Layla and Abba titles. Not to mention the 60's Stones box. So GZ are not generaly total crap. Looks like QC went wrong on this box or at least on some pressings. I would say that Optimal or Pallas are better choices but are probably tied up with other product especialy the former with most of Warner and EMI output. I will admit I have had to return the occasional bad copy of a GZ pressing but that goes for practicaly any other plant. Their quality is in another league to Rainbo.

6. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I'm glad I got the original WBs...maybe they're not to the level of the original UK pressings, but they sound damn good to me! And in the case of 'Sabotage,' same damn mastering (cut @ Sterling.)

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I am sucker for Black Sabbath (Ozzy era)... so I purchased this box set. My set is in perfect shape, and even though the vinyl is pressed at GZ - all the discs I listened to so far are in great shape. A few ticks and pops here and there on first listen, but a cleaning removed 99% of the noise.

I haven't compared these pressings to any of the other vinyl versions I own (and I own the most recent Warners, and a few other reissues over the years - don't have the originals anymore (US versions) due to the fact they were destroyed in a basement flood), but in their own right they sound pretty good. So no complaints from me.

(Just to show how Sabbath crazy I am I also have multiple CD versions of each album up to Sabatoge (domestic and import) as well as all the SHM-SACDs issued (as well as a few of the SHM-CD issues and the deluxe CD editions). WHEW!!

8. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

Really, I had the German Original Swirl of VOL 4 and I still have the Kevin Grey RHINO-reissue...honestly and without any sarcasm, these two sound RIDICULOUS
    compared to the UK 1st pressing "Porky/Pecko"...unbelievable...

Each for its own sounds very good, but once you heard the UK 1st...OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. motorcitydave

Ok, thanks man. I'll be on the lookout! I doubt I'll find it for a good price, but you never know. :)

10. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Problems are numerous - super valuable tapes such as the Sabs catalog, while not the Beatles, are not likely to be let out of whatever vault they are stored at; the actual tapes may/may not require different playback machines to match original machines with known differences, Dolby reductions, etc., much less the whole idea of pressing expensive sets in multiple countries (and shipping)

Most labels now prefer to work from hi-rez masters and not put additional spins on the real thing.

11. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

not agree.
    I also have the 1st uk (pecko/porky) of vol4 and the rhino vinyl is equal or better.

12. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

if you have the rhino vinyl don't bother , you'lll pay a lot and the sound is almost the same

13. motorcitydave

Actually, I have the original green label WB. I got it signed by Geezer Butler himself in Detroit after his solo gig. So, there's no way I'm getting rid of it. Anyway, your opinion please.

14. copter76

copter76 Forum Resident

the og green label comes from the same master that rhino used for the new edition.
    Sounds very close both , a little more bright than the uk one but with better bass to my ears, more open...,
    I prefer the new rhino vinyl ...

marcelbr and motorcitydave like this.
  15. motorcitydave

Ok, that's cool. I might buy the Rhino then. However, I have an aversion to buying multiple copies of the same album. I've already done that with 'Rock n Roll Animal' by Lou Reed and 'Appetite for Destruction' by Guns N' Roses just to name a couple of titles.

16. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Good point. Thanks for your reply :)

17. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Lately I've got the feeling that they don't manufacture records to be listened to anymore, they seem to be more concerned with making them look good.

18. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

I strongly disagree.

The Uk 1st pressing of Vol 4 is in my humble ears much much better than the Rhino. I have both and the difference IMHO is very substantial.

The Rhino is polished and nice, but not as "airy" or "analoque" (sorry with the clichés) and the soundstage is much smaller on the Rhino...at least on my turntable...(Transrotor Dark Star with Ortofon Valencia through NAIM Superline Phono-Pre).

But each to his own, your own ears must decide.

I thought the same, but when I got a NM copy of the UK 1st, I will maybe even sell the Rhino...

I have now the first 5 as UK 1st pressings and I will sell my Rhinos soon on Ebay ( Rhinos of: S/T, Master of reality, Vol 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath).

Neilson77 and Ctiger2 like this.
  19. guitarget

guitarget Forum Resident

Totally agree, good advice

20. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

That was a great show. I was up front thrashing and at the end of the show he thanked me shook my hand and gave me his pick.
    I wish i would have taken something to get signed.

motorcitydave likes this.
  21. motorcitydave

Well, that's one Hell of a turntable, really. So maybe the differences are more pronounced on that.

I for one, am not getting rid of the original WBs that I have. They sound great to me. However, I did replace the WB green label 'Paranoid' with a WWA black label pressing, and got a UK Vertigo spaceship label for 'Never Say Die.'

22. motorcitydave

Really. This was the tour in the fall of '97, true?

That's the one I was at...

23. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I guess ? He only ever came here solo one time ? I know the Tour for sure It was the GZR record with the fly on the cover.
    Fear Factory guys as his band. Can't tell you the club but it was a medium size place maybe the majestic.
    Were getting old Dave :)

24. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I only have a couple Sabbath in multiple copies to compare, To my ears my German vertigo MOR easily beats my WB olive label.
    German Attention Black sabbath V.1 easily beats Black sabbath s/t off white label (late 70's early 80's ?). The songs that are the same anyway.
    They Substitute a couple tunes for paranoid and iron Man. Those tracks beat the two on my Olive WB Paranoid.
    I think you could buy the Two volumes of Attention and have the first album cheaper then a German vertigo s/t
    would cost you maybe. Its hard to remember whats what sometimes without pulling em out.

25. luxen

luxen Forum Resident

I just listened to my recently arrived UK 1st pressing of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath".

I really have to say that compared to what I just heard, my Rhino and the German Spaceship are laughing stock, utterly ridiculous and I hardly can believe the difference.

Out they will go too...:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.