Bob Dylan Live 1965 (USA tour)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BlueJay, Jul 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just noticed a new post by Harold Lepidus on the Searching For A Gem website saying that recordings of two of Bob Dylan's acoustic/electric concerts from December 1965 which were not included on the 1965 50th Anniversary download are about to be "made public". No word yet on the format but this sounds interesting. Could we at last see a general release of these early electric shows?

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

This could be monumental, depending on the recording method/quality of the tapes! Probably monumental either way. Fall 1965 needs more documented live stuff!

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Oh, of course. As will I. :)

4. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Carnegie Hall has always been rumored to exist. Supposed to have a live "Can YOU Please Crawl Out Your Window."

5. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I was at the Worcester, MA Auditorium show in October of '65 and would love a sounndboard from the tour.

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Yes it would be great to get some more fall 1965 live Dylan in listenable quality. The solo Visions recorded by the late great Allen Ginsberg would be lovely to hear. A few years back some super photos of Bob and The Hawks were on the Expecting Rain website. They are playing some small hall (sorry I forget where). Bob is at the piano in one photo.
    We do not really have as much information on this period as it probably deserves. There is supposedly a rehearsal that has never been heard and folk are still debating when The Hawks Can You Please Crawl Out Your Window was recorded.

7. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Presumably it's the tapes at Stanford listened to by RandPink. If so, very exciting!

jlf, jay.dee, notesfrom and 4 others like this.
  8. subtr

subtr Forum Resident

Came here to say exactly the same.

Though @RandPink asserts (very possibly correctly!) that in fact the San Jose show is known to us already as the Berkeley Dec 4th show. The electric set only has circulated, I think, and this might present the whole show to us. I'm excited to see how this will come about.

HominyRhodes, RandPink and Lars1966 like this.
  9. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Very exciting news! I just hope this will be a physical release and not download only. With BS 13 already slated for November release, one wonders when this could happen. Fingers crossed anyway that it will happen at all!

10. BlueJay

A vinyl release would be nice, something akin to last year's 'Live in Sydney' album. But saying that these shows are being "made public" sounds more like a download to me. Still, almost anything would be better than the highly limited download release used for the other concerts on this tour.

Lars1966 likes this.
  11. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

I doubt that any of it is good enough sound quality to warrant a physical release. Maybe a Copyright Extension Extension download though? Or maybe just some fun new bootlegs to NEVER EVER BUY. :)

signothetimes53 likes this.
  12. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

This would be great. Also, I still can't believe we don't have a nice official bootleg series soundboard release of something from the '65 UK tour. It might be my favorite Dylan tour of all times.

mpayan likes this.
  13. BlueJay

It seems odd to have released live albums from 1964, 1966 and 1969 (even 1968 if you include the Woody Guthrie tribute) but not from 1965. Perhaps this will fill the gap.

Joey_Corleone and Blue Note like this.
  14. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

Would like this 1965 live release.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Are there any live recordings with Levon, before he left

16. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Not a P.A. feed. Listenable though.

HominyRhodes and DeeThomaz like this.
  17. Percy Song

Do you have any memories that you'd like to share?

CCrider92 likes this.
  18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I do! Thanks for asking!! My then girlfriend and I had seen Dylan go "electric" in Newport that summer so we were fully aware of what the Worcester show was going to be like. We had front row corner balcony seats just to Dylan's right so we were very close to him. Bob wore a snug fitting suit, brownish in color - perhaps the houndstooth one. First set was acoustic; second set was electric - lots of interplay between Bob and Robbie > we were able to hear this set as opposed to Newport where the PA system made the performance indiscernible. Songs from both sets were largely drawn from the Home and Highway LP's. Bob said a few words at the break - his only contact with the audience - I don't recall any thank you at the concert's close - I'm now 74 so my memory is not what it used to be. Both sets were well performed. The audience was a very varied mix of ages and clothing styles - many were still dressing in jackets and ties as were his "Band." The hip era was still in its infancy though hair was longer on the guys.. The acoustics in the Aud were superb because that is what it was designed for. I remember my GF being upset at his closeness to Robbie - she said "I think he wants to jump him!" A side note - when I went back to college I told Father Paul who was a huge Dylan fan that I had seen him again - I'd seen all his Newport performances in '63, '64, '65 - and Paul wanted to bring Dylan to campus for a concert and contacted his management. We were a Catholic all male campus, and Bob's management made it clear to Father Paul that there should be some women available for Bob. Needless to say that Paul was shocked, and he did not get Dylan to our campus.

19. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Father Paul presumably didn't know about Dylan wanting to give Brother Bill his great thrill...

Great story, and thanks for sharing your memories!

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

You reminded me of what another priest/professor once said to us when he was asked in a philosophy class if he had any thoughts on guys reading/looking at Playboy magazine - "I see nothing wrong with it as long as you guys don't think every girl has 2 staples in her midriff."

majorlance likes this.
  21. Percy Song

Great memories, thanks! The $64 million question is.... did you boo at Newport '65?! If so, was it because of the indiscernible sound? If you didn't boo, why not?!

As far as I'm aware there is no record of a set list for this show on 16 October. bobdylan.com draws a blank on the set list and the show is not mentioned on Olof's site. A long shot, but do recall any specific songs? I'm guessing it won't be too far removed from the 02 October show at Newark and I imagine he played both Positively 4th Street and LARS as the last two songs. Do you recall if there was an encore?

CCrider92 likes this.
  22. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Today is the 52nd anniversary of the Newport '65 show. What is the best source for this material?

CCrider92 likes this.
  23. Percy Song

Here is the San Francisco Press Conference broadcast on 03 December. Allen Ginsberg asks a couple of questions. Bob is cool throughout. A couple of notable quotes towards the end:

"I mean, they must be pretty rich to be able to go some place and boo. I couldn't afford it if I was in their shoes."

"Sometimes you get people rushing the stage, but you know...turn 'em off very fast... kick 'em in the head..."

JoeF. and the pope ondine like this.
  24. Percy Song

I'd say this DVD, released about 10 years ago.

[​IMG]

#

ajsmith, funknik, Lars1966 and 3 others like this.
  25. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I do have it on CD, a soundboard, but it's out on loan. It actually shows what a great electric performance it was, but through the PA system we couldn't even make out what the songs were except for the 2 acoustic encores. We were facing the left side of the stage about halfway back - 20,000 attendees from what I understand - and no one in my area could figure out what he was playing/singing. We were all stunned at the sound quality and not that he was plugged in. I did hear a lot of commotion down towards the front left side of the stage and stood up on my seat to see what was going on. I saw a group standing with their arms flailing in the air.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.