Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #4)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jay F, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I presume you are talking about single-disc and not box set?

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Correct. Now in the tray my favorite recording of Appalachian Spring:

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

Most expensive single-disc CD must be one of those early music CD's on the Gimell label at $16 or $17 a piece ...

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I was wondering if it was just me, or if others had had problems with ImportCDs. I'm about to file a claim with Amazon concerning an order I placed with ImportCDs over six weeks ago. They sent me a shipping notification on 11/19, and I've yet to receive the item, which as luck would have it was a $50 box set. I'd placed a couple of orders with them previously and didn't have any problems, but so far, out of the three emails I've sent them regarding the missing set, they've only responded to one of them, and that was to tell me to allow 30 days for arrival (which it already had been by that point) and to verify my shipping address (which was correct).

In contrast, the handful of times I've had to contact Newbury regarding a problem with an order, I received a prompt reply apologizing for the problem and promising to rectify things immediately, which they did.

5. coopmv

Now playing

Attached Files:

6. coopmv

So far, I have not had problems with either ImportCD or Newbury. Around this time of the year, it is probably the USPS that has screwed up due to the massive holiday package volume. Unfortunately, when a package gets lost, it is often the expensive order according to Murphy's Law. That is another reason I have so far hesitated to order from MDT. If tracking down domestic order is like doing root canal, imagine trying to track down a lost international package.

7. George P

George P Notable Member

At last, this 10 disc set (brand new) arrived today from Newbury Comics (packaged safely in a box and thick bubble wrap inside)

[​IMG]

Boy am I gonna have fun with this set. Transfers by the great Ward Marston. I think I'll start with disc 10.

More info for those who are interested: http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/r/rca61265a.php

8. coopmv

So this is RCA Gold Seal, I suppose. Are any of the CD's in stereo?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

No, it's all mono (1919-1942) and yes, Gold Seal. The transfers are much more preferable to the overfiltered ones in the later release. I provided a link above with more info http://www.classical.net/music/recs/reviews/r/rca61265a.php

10. coopmv

I still prefer listening to monaural than listening to faked stereo. Listening to faked stereo is about as exciting as watching colorized movie ...

11. coopmv

At least Newbury charges $30 less than Amazon ... :righton:

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Newbury is the nuts! :righton:

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'd suggest starting with the Edison recording of Liszt's 2d Hungarian Rhapsody. Unless you have another transfer, I guarantee that you have heard nothing like this before.

The Edison recording of the variations mvt. from Mozart's "Turkish Rondo" sonata is also a delight, being very, very much NOT in the mold of current scholarly thinking about how Mozart should be played. :D

14. coopmv

I am sure Newbury did not sell the set at a loss. It is just willing to make a small profit after it pays Amazon for listing the set ...

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Fake stereo is atrocious. Always. Fortunately, it seems to have died away sometime in the '70s or so. Unfortunately, every copy I've ever seen of Friedrich Wuhrer's account of the Beethoven 1st Concerto is in fake stereo, except for a couple on eBay coming out of Europe or Russia and costing WAY too much to be feasible.

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Just started. Thanks!

(Coincidentally, it sounds like it just started raining, too) ;)

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member Thread Starter

That's cute.

18. coopmv

The CD sounds this noisy! :winkgrin:

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Much of it is, yes. I have heard much noiser though. Besides, the playing is superb! Besides without the noise, a lot of the piano tone would be lost. A lot of EMI's historical stuff sounds like the piano is underwater. :shake:

20. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Latest purchase:

Beethoven: Symphonies 2 & 4, Furtwangler and Vienna Philharmonica (EMI References)

21. coopmv

The era of the non-stop background noise on the master tape ...

22. imagnrywar

imagnrywar Senior Member

Yeah, I just ordered the Naxos Historical issue of Wanda Landowska's Bach: Well-Tempered Clavier from Amazon UK because the standard US RCA CDs are in fake stereo. Gross. The Naxos discs are needledrops, but they were done by Mark Obert-Thorn and are in true mono.

23. coopmv

You are experiencing Sergei playing the piano in your living room ... :righton:

24. George P

George P Notable Member

...in the pouring rain, even more romantic than what he heard while playing it live. :D

25. coopmv

Is the Goldberg Variations by Wanda Landowska on EMI in true mono? I have that CD which I have not played in ages ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.