Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I don't think she has made many recordings ...

2. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Ain't that the truth...I've liked pretty much everything I've heard of Hogwood's, though I am partial to The English Concert and Trevor Pinnock. I have a CD of Haydn Sturm und Drang symphonies of theirs that I love.

3. coopmv

I have the Pinnock's set for a few years and it is also an cxcellent set. Unfortunately, complete Haydn Symphonies cycles were all performed on modern instruments. I have the complete set by Adam Fischer on Nimbus as singles ...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    zen and ToddBD like this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

And apparently even fewer photographs.

5. coopmv

IIRC, they were mostly recorded after 2010 by Carpe Diem, a small German label, which obviously would not have bothered with parallel release, i.e. CD only.

6. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

I also like some of Slatkin's interpretations with the Philharmonia, on RCA.

7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    I've enjoyed everything I've heard from this fine singer. The ECO is conducted by Georg Fischer, who was also her husband.
    Recorded in Abbey Road Studio No. 1 & Kingsway Hall, 1/67. Producer: Peter Andry. Engineer: Robert Gooch. CD from 1988.

8. coopmv

You should consider getting her Icon set, which I bought two years ago ...

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Stokowski's performance with the London Symphony Orchestra [originally on the "Phase 4" series] been my go-to performance for decades. The Sound Quality goes downhill in the final movement but otherwise is pretty good, not great. Stokowski hits all the marks, more successful at the Toscanini/Furtwängler synthesis than HvK. The Adagio is reminiscent of Bruno Walter's playing with the NYPO and Stokowski all but owns the Scherzo. I've got it in one of the Stokowski/Phase 4 boxes.

[​IMG]

The "Weekend Classics" edition sounds about the same, there's another CD version with a different cover but the same mastering.

10. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have about half the symphonies (with multiple performances of most of the late ones). I was listening to Marriner and ASMF yesterday.

11. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Now listening to "Lamentations" (from various composers) by the Tallis Scholars.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

I suppose, if the goal is a "high resolution" Beethoven's 9th, Furtwangler technically qualifies--somebody or other (in Japan, if memory serves) has issued one of his performances on a mono SACD. To be honest, considering how less-than-stellar the source material's sonics likely will be, I'm not sure that I see the point, but I've never actually heard it, so I suppose it could be an improvement over prior incarnations. If you're interested, it can be found on Amazon, I think at generally rather an elevated price.

I'm quite fond of Kurt Masur's account, currently available on Pentatone. I bought it on an East German Eterna LP (used) to give my brother as a gift decades ago, and when I played it to make sure it didn't have any hidden skips, I was so taken that I kept it and bought him something else. Maybe I should play it for my daughter, who's never heard it (and just popped up at my shoulder and said, "hey, can you write something about me?")

EasterEverywhere and ToddBD like this.
  13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

One more. RR-82.
    http://www.referencerecordings.com/minnesota.asp#rr82

Hawkman likes this.
  14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Judging from the name, u want newer one with great sonics.
    I think this one is 'better'.
    http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/4136

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

As I recall, the Furtwängler performance is his last with the Philharmonia and sonically is nothing to write home about. Creeping forward, Karajan's 1960's performance with the Berlin Philharmonic is a good one in good sound and has also been transfered to multiple High-Rez formats. I'm not so familiar with later performances so I can't say anything about recordings that are all-digital and all high-rez. But that Vanska performance looks intriguing.

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The 1960s Karajan is probably my favorite 9th. The intensity really boils over on that one.

Mr Bass, jukes and Robin L like this.
  17. coopmv

:righton:

18. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

One of my greatest experiences with Beethoven's Ninth was in late seventies: a direct satellite live transmission from Chicago (Solti & Chicago SO). I recorded in on c-cassettes and listened them several times. Because it was an early satellite transmission, there were few problems also. I was even able to hear a fraction of some telephone discussion! Luckily it wasn't like they're going to kill you, Pierre, tomorrow evening in the train... ;)

To my taste, there's too often too much echo in those Jesus-Christus-Kirche recordings they once made. A stone church and a symphony orchestra with nearly 100 players isn't a good combination. With slowly progressing religious choral music those sites are great, but I'd prefer the instruments and sections of the orchestra not to intertwine sonically so that the result is a mess. Yet, I like very much von Karajan's early Beethoven set as SACD's. However, my latest fvourite is Paavo Järvi & the Deutsche Kammerphilharmonie Bremen (SACD) set.

Today listening to the Mozart (first day no football in ca. 2 weeks!): Symphony no. 22 in C played by Mozart Akademie Amsterdam, dir. Jaap ter Linden. A bit too brightish, this MAA Mozart set. But clearly articulated renderings.

kevinsinnott and bluemooze like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

I don't often do those "now listening to" posts, but this one I can't resist: Now listening to--my 9-yr.-old daughter playing a Czerny etude on the piano. It's not her first love (she's an athlete first and foremost), but she has a lot of talent. Right now, I can't think of a thing I'd rather hear. :love:

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

A shout out to DRH and his daughter: Something she can probably play on the piano.

Erik Satie: Piano Music (Vol.1) Ciccolini, EMI UK

[​IMG]

Joe071, bluemooze and ToddBD like this.
  21. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

For Beethoven's Ninth, I have been listening to Ferenc Fricsay's version on DGG with the Berlin Philharmonic and it is one that I enjoy.

[​IMG]

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  23. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

This is the first record of piano music I ever bought!

Mr Bass and bluemooze like this.
  24. coopmv

I bought the following set in 07 ...

[​IMG]

25. coopmv

This is the ONLY recording by Fricsay I have in my CD collection, though I may have a few in my LP collection ...

dale 88 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.