Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #69)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have 2 volumes of these Locatelli performances but have not played them in ages ...

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I believe Zinman does. It's one of my favorites too

Robin L and PBo like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have a few, but only a few, nearly all on 78s. That Borodin Sym. is one, which I have as RCA Victor set 1225, 3 12" records. Several of my sets are early Columbias--R. Strauss's Till Eulenspiegel, the Bach 3d Orchestral Suite, a Symphony in G attributed to Haydn, billed as W. 63, P. 41 (G.A. Doubtful no. 31. Probably by Jirovec). These are all with the Brussels Royal Conservatory Or. The rest are with the CSO, for the most part late Victors; among those, besides the Franck (coupled in the same album with Psyche) and Borodin, are a Mendelssohn Vln. Cto. with Elman and a Prokofiev Scythian Suite. Curiously, I have him in two recordings of one work, one with each of those orchestras, and it's hardly the sort of thing one would expect to be duplicated: Gretry's ballet suite from Cephale et Procris (arr. Mottl). The CSO version, although recorded in 1945, I have on an LP issue. Actually, I have one also on LP: the Scythian Suite was reissued on Bluebird as LBC-1057, and I have it in both forms.

geralmar and ToddBD like this.
  4. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wasn't the big deal about Norrington's set of the syms. from way back when that supposedly he observed the metronome marks?

PBo likes this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD4 - At Carnegie Hall, All Prokofiev Program from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  6. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I think there's a Lark Ascending out there that I prefer but you can't beat this selection of pastoral pieces.

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Romantic Favorites For Strings" performed by the New York Philharmonic led by Leonard Bernstein on CBS.

• Barber - Adagio For Strings Op. 11
    • Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis
    • Vaughan Williams - Fantasia on "Greensleeves"
    • Tchaikovsky - Andante Cantabile
    • Mahler - Adagietto

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and john greenwood like this.
  8. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Thanks for these suggestions!

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Vivaldi - The Four Seasons" performed by the Freiburger Barockorchester led by Gottfried von der Goltz and The Harp Consort led by Andrew Lawrence-King on DHM.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and john greenwood like this.
  10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Zinman, Tonhalle. Modern orchestra, close attention to classical era articulation, bowing, tempi and other conventions. If you like this sort of thing, you'll like this sort of thing. Well recorded, dirt cheap.

jukes, PBo and dale 88 like this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Yeah, but he didn't really manage to cover all the notes in the recordings, said recordings being a rush job, and some of that enterprise has some of the most howlingly bad edits it has ever been my displeasure to hear. Norrington's done a lot of good things, the 2/8 that kicked the cycle off is great, but otherwise Zinman covers a whole lot more notes more convincingly.

12. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Rubinstein, Heifetz and Piatigorsky playing the Ravel Trio. I wish Ravel had written more chamber music.

bluemooze, John S, Mik and 2 others like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Ok, we are out of space.

Let's continue here. :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.