Discogs Collection Value Estimates Dropping

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Leonthepro, Aug 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic Thread Starter

Has anyone else noticed this lately?
    Ive seen all the estimates dropping and by a good bit too. Discogs has started to shorten the number of listings on the Sales History for most releases, maybe this is the reason?

2. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

No, I haven't noticed this at all. My collections value jumped about £10k early into lockdown and has held there +/-£3k ever since. It has trended upwards for years now, maybe that's down to how much music I buy :laugh:

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I haven't tracked my value estimates there but judging by the increase in cost for buying LPs, I would think they would be going up not down. Maybe it's just because of what I like and buy in music, things I buy are not real common and there for increasing in value.

Leonthepro likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Im buying more all the time, but the estimates just keep going down for me. Very strange.

5. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

I don't understand, could it be currency related. How is the Krona going against major currencies like the $/£/Euro?

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

My wife, “What difference does it make? You’re never going to sell them.”

She is of course correct.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Mine has gone up.

8. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

This is why I’ve not even bothered to attempt an estimate of the value.

However, I guess it could matter for insurance purposes...

9. I'm a little scared to do it. Worried that I might be tempted to liquidate if I saw the real value.

Big Blue likes this.
  10. Johnny Action

Johnny Action Forum President

Is this the beginning of the end of the Vinyl Renaissance?

...could be...

troyvod likes this.
  11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Are you an LP or CD buyer

12. Leonthepro

Good question. I thought it was doing a bit better recently, but I may be wrong.

13. Leonthepro

LPs only.

14. Leonthepro

15. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

Okay, there goes that theory. I was suspecting, like myself, you might be a CD collector and the lowering value of CDs would explain it, but I'm wrong.

16. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

:laugh: Bingo!

17. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

In my case, I’m too lazy to bother selling them off, and wouldn’t want to, anyway, so I would just have the painful knowledge of how many dollars’ worth of records and CDs I’m sitting on...

18. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I know if I click on my collection page, the price listed for each item is different than is listed under the sales history on the release page. I think the release page sales history, and price given there, must represent a different time than is shown on the collection page? Or something...

My total value hasn't gone down any. It's too high! o_O I'm not tempted to sell it en masse but I know what you guys mean by saying you wouldn't want to know the real value....

19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It's not too important. Many of my albums are priceless to me as I associate memories of what was involved in buying and listening to them.

Dave and Rosskolnikov like this.
  20. Leonthepro

Its starting to go back up again now, I guess it was just a slump in the market value of much in my collection.

21. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Why in the world would this be surprising? The value of physical media has been declining. Vinyl's peak was probably about a year ago and will enter a period of slow decline. The value of CDs cratered, and even the less common stuff is in slow decline now, for the most part. I would expect that in ten years, the value of most collections will be around half of what it is now.

22. Leonthepro

Geez, the Max has increased over 1000$ just today and its still going up every time I look.

23. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have been noticing that everything does indeed drop except the top-shelf stuff. And the stuff that does go up in value from a $10 items say to a $20 item ten or fifteen years later has not really gone up that much due to the value of the dollar's decline.

I am getting $8.99 to $14.99 for many CDs I am selling which sounds ok, until I think it is in the range I paid 20-30 years ago, and inflation. Whatever I have lost on them I have made back on other titles that have gone for higher amounts. It's likely a break-even ordeal only because I held onto the nicer more rare items, and am only now letting them go.

Vinyl started to drop ten to fifteen years ago. There were a lot of hard to find psych titles that have now come out as reissued on LP and CD. Sundazed has been responsible for the drop in the value of many American psych and garage type LPs. It is bad enough when a rare one gets an LP reissue, but when a CD comes along it really drives down prices on originals.

Folks who bought carefully, and kept their stuff in immaculate condition will do fine. This is the type of collector who kept shrink wrap on LP covers and stored them in poly sleeves. When one offers their items for sale, this is the type of condition buyers are looking for if they have money to spend.

24. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Recently I've been noticing a drop in my collection value min and med. I think my max has stayed about the same or increased slightly.

25. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Haven't noticed, because I don't really care, but I have noticed how in some box-set listing, say for the Kinks mono set, someone will be selling just one album from the set, for say $30, and that will go towards the average price for that box-set's listing, lowering it quite a bit. They shouldn't allow listings for single items from a set.

Dave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.