Discogs experiences-postive and negative*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opiumden

opiumden Forum Resident

Pretty much what everyone else said before.
    Stick to the 100%/99.99% rated sellers, and if you have to deal with a new seller - communicate before you pay, to make sure the seller knows what he's dealing with.
    Read the negative and NEUTRAL feedbacks and while doing so, keep an eye on the date.

ausgraeme likes this.
  2. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I always research sellers and if possible always buy from those with 100% positive feedback. I also only ever buy NM/NM vinyl.

However, my success rate with receiving NM/NM vinyl on Discogs and Ebay is still only 25% tops. Most of the time I receive total tat. In fairness the vinyl is OK 75% of the time, it's the sleeve that is massively overgraded. If I'm paying for a NM sleeve then I expect a NM sleeve to arrive.

Very occasionally an absolute belter turns up and I'm overjoyed but those occasions are extremely rare. Most sellers send me records that leave me feeling both disappointed and cheated.

3. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

Discogs will remove this retaliatory feedback if you report it.

Dave likes this.
  4. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

You can't evaluate the sound of a record based on the appearance of that record. Unless the record is play graded all you have is an educated guess.

SpeakerLabFan and Dave like this.
  5. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Dear used record dealers:

Any record sleeve that has a cut corner, ring wear, punch hole, seam split or edge wear cannot have a grade starting with the letter 'M'. These are not your children - grading is not personal.

6. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I've had my fair share of over graded records from the UK, especially. I finally started asking questions about the condition of the records as I find that records commonly graded as VG+ in the UK might get a G+/VG- over here. But even records graded as NM are seldom truly NM that I find. I foolishly dropped about $200 on a UK seller a couple years ago on a bunch of records that were all graded NM. Out of the 12 records, maybe 2 of them were NM, the rest were G+/VG- and a couple were borderline VG+. But again, it was my stupidity. When I go back and read the descriptions for the records that are NM, the seller says: "there are some surface marks visible on the vinyl when held up to the light but they don't affect the sound quality apart from some light pops/crackles". Well, if there are surface marks and light pops and crackles, the record can't be NM, can it?! So yeah, I'm much more careful now and tend to ask lots of questions. I don't want to have to deal with getting a coaster and having to ship it back overseas because the seller didn't properly grade it.

7. PM 1331

PM 1331 Well-Known Member

Positive with the Exception of a couple of "Artist's" on there!

8. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Recently, I've had some "interesting" experiences as a buyer using Discogs. So I began asking for verification of condition on pricier M/NM items - for me that's $40 and up - and it usually goes like this:

"Hey there - I wanted to verify that xxx is in the condition described - just wanted to check with you, prior to purchase...thanks for your time!"

The responses have ranged from answers in the affirmative, photos & offers of needle drops, to re-grading and counter offers. Yesterday I received a response from a seller, via the Discogs contact seller form:

"Location number please. Item # is not searchable. As a caveat to this question even "Still Sealed" items have been disputed between buyer and seller let alone the grading scale used usually mutually exclusively. You need to look at feedback. Thanks for your interest in xxx."

I was annoyed at first - why not just answer the question honestly, or tell me you don't have the item, if you're unable to find it? Anyway, I referred to my DBAA rule, and just passed.
    What would you have done?

9. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I would definitely pass, unless it was something that I was dying to have and wasn't available from other sellers.

I think I've posted this up-thread, but there are definitely great sellers on Discogs and great deals to be found (e.g. "VG+" records for four bucks with almost no surface noise to speak of), so it's not worth wasting your time with anyone who can't assure you that you're going to be happy with what you buy.

In a case that's slightly similar to your example, I was looking for one of those good-sounding VG+ records and sent an inquiry to a seller. My usual spiel of "Can you verify that this matches criteria of 'Defects should be more of a cosmetic nature, not affecting the actual playback as a whole" and only 'very light scratches that don't affect one's listening experiences'."

I got a response that basically said "You're going to be happier if you find a NM copy of this album".

I could have gotten into an argument with the guy about how I was asking him about the "VG+" guidelines given on the site, and how I'd bought other VG+ albums by the same artist that I was very happy with and all that crap but I figured that the bottom line was that this guy was telling me (in an indirect way) that his record was overgraded and I was just going to be happier if I replied "Thanks" and moved on, which I did.

GentleSenator and cporcp like this.
  10. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Exactly this. I also took their non-answer response as a warning to move on.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  11. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Just had a "Mint, sealed" CD arrive that was neither. Polished CD and very worn jewel case. Grrrrr. This has really only happened twice, but I'll never buy from that person again. I'm not the only one, as his feedback occasionally mentions.

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Hopefully, you'll leave him appropriate feedback.

13. John Buchanan

The only other time I did that (for the same thing - I threw that CD in the bin), he retaliated that I was lying. He had sent me a not-even-close-to mint CD that wasn't even the one stated, FFS. I left feedback and so did he. My feedback rating was affected and Discogs wouldn't get rid of his non-true counter-feedback. I searched through the new one's feedback and it looks the same - "buyer has tried to replace the CD I sent with his damaged one and returned that one to me" type responses. I just ordered another copy from someone else and ate the costs in both cases. I know Paypal would have sided with me, however.

14. JR63

JR63 Forum Resident

I purchased the Kinks, “Come Dancing” SACD via Discogs and when it arrived, it turned out to be a standard-issue CD (which I already owned). When I contacted the seller about the incorrect listing, he hemmed and hawed, but reluctantly agreed to refund the payment; however, he indicated it would take a couple weeks because he had to wait for the funds to be available in his PayPal account. I disputed the transaction and PayPal eventually refunded my money, but the seller left me negative feedback and accused me of a “bait and switch” scam. I contacted Discogs and they removed the feedback.

GentleSenator and Strat-Mangler like this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Why didn't you file a dispute, then?

GentleSenator likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I just discovered Music Direct's " scratch-and-dent " store on Discogs. A copy of their 45 rpm Pearl, with a corner ding to the jacket, and a visual mark on one side of the vinyl. I had asked about the cost of Priority Mail, and play-grading before retiring for the night, last night.
    Today I awoke to a message addressing the shipping cost, news that they ship from Chicago around noon, and a full playgrade would delay shipping by a day.
    I responded with positive comments about my other experiences with MD, passed on the playgrade, and placed my order. When I received the invoice, I of course paid immediately, as I always do, and I guess all of that bought me some good will, as they decided to playgrade after all, and assured me it wouldn't affect shipping today.
    I believe I'm on my way to my 55th of 55 successful transactions on Discogs.

Bobsblkwax likes this.
  17. John Buchanan

I may do that. The first time, I was so angry I threw the CD in the bin. This time..... yes I will.
    Just checked- I had deleted the messages relating to him over a week ago and they are now gone permanently. Sigh.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. Strat-Mangler

Your transaction is nevertheless recorded on their website. You don't need Discogs to start a dispute. Log onto PayPal's website, find the transaction, and start the dispute process.

19. Quakerism

Quakerism Lean into what frightens you.

I realize this may be off topic but I’m currently experiencing problems logging in to discogs and shooting out a query as to any others having similar problems.

20. Strat-Mangler

Did you use the Forgot Password link?

21. Quakerism

I can’t get to the page for logging in. There are a few ads on the page I can get to that seem to be out of ordinary. If I search a title it will give me the result but I can’t use the features that require logging on to your account.

22. Quakerism

So update. I created a new account and now can use all the features but I lost access to my catalog. Weird. I’m thinking some type of malware is stuck in my iPad from the site.

23. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Have you asked them about your login troubles?

Quakerism likes this.
  24. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I think it's highly unlikely that Discogs related malware is targeting your iPad. Certainly when you can use a new account to access the site. You should contact Discogs support to help you solve this issue.

Quakerism likes this.
  25. Quakerism

I’ll reach out to discogs support. The new account has no advertising from the UK. The inaccessible account does. I’ll let you know how this all resolves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.