Duelund 16ga rca cables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DaleClark, Jan 4, 2019.

1. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident Thread Starter

ive heard some rave about cables made with Duelund wire on various forums. Just curious if anyone here has used interconnects made with the wire?

dunkyboy likes this.
  2. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Just as speaker cables right now (they're quite good). Maybe later this year.

Bill Why Man likes this.
  3. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

Most of what I have read about Dueland wire is on Jeff's Place website, he has experimented with multiple gauges for speaker wires and crossover wiring, not sure if he has used as interconnects...

Duelund – Jeff's Place

4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've used the Belden 8402 cables Jeff talks about, but not Dueland. A thought here though - how different would one brand of vintage tin plated copper sound then another? This isn't like modern wires that right or wrong claim exotic materials and construction. I mention this as it seems the Dueland costs more money.

rhing and 33na3rd like this.
  5. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

I have both the Duelund 16 Ga and the Belden 8402's. To me, they sound very similar. Both are very flexible, the Duelunds especially so, even when built up with shielding. Both of these cables have a "warmish" presentation that sounds great in my current set up, but was too warm in my previous set up.

dunkyboy, jusbe and JemK like this.
  6. JemK

JemK Active Member

I'm using duelund speaker wires and interconnects. I changed up my speaker wires (12s) first for a couple of months followed by phono to amp interconnects (20s) then turntable to phono (26s). Each change was refreshing and very enjoyable to me.
    I do admit they are pricier than the 8402 which I've also tried (after trying duelund) and found little difference but I was already wired up with duelund. So there wasn't really any point in me changing the lot to belden.
    No regrets though. They're very good cables imo.

Rolltide and 33na3rd like this.
  7. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

I’m using Dueland interconnects, unbalanced and balanced, in my system and they’re great. Reasonably priced, no complaints. Gig Harbor Audio in Gig Harbor, WA built them.

dunkyboy and 33na3rd like this.
  8. DaleClark

How would you describe their sound?

9. jhenry

jhenry Forum Resident

Everything I want to hear is there! Neutral? The music is free-flowing and detailed. Open. Frequency range is balanced. I don’t think about them much, and to me, that’s a good thing.

dunkyboy, gakerty and jusbe like this.
  10. I use the Duelund 16ga for speaker wire—bare-terminated. When I replaced my Brand X generic wire with the Duelund, it sounded like someone replaced my record collection with an entirely improved version of my record collection. From a McIntosh MA5100 into Klipsch KG4’s, they sound airy, detailed, dimensional, and warm. The improvements stunned me. I couldn’t wait to dive back into my music. It’s one of the most satisfying audio purchases I’ve ever made.

dunkyboy, jonwoody, Sugar Man and 3 others like this.
  11. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

Interesting. I also use Belden 8402/Switchcraft interconnects throughout and had read that perhaps the Duelund might perform even better as interconnects in place of the 8402. Yours is the first voice suggesting there's not much in it. That's welcome. I guess I should try for myself but I have other (major) changes to make to the system first.

DaleClark, I also agree with the description of the Duelund sonics. There's probably enough demand around such that you'd make an easy sale of them if you decided you didn't like them.

dunkyboy and 33na3rd like this.
  12. DaleClark

Yes, some nice shielded ones custom made on ebay look tempting. I may buy three pairs

jusbe likes this.
  13. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Can any of you comment on using 16 gauge wire for interconnects? That seems like a large sized wire for an interconnect where 24 or 26 gauge wire are normally used.

Scott

dunkyboy likes this.
  14. JemK

JemK Active Member

I believe the reply before mine from 33na3rd suggests the same thing. It's not that there isn't difference a difference. To me it isn't vastly different. Would definitely love to hear your impressions after giving them a try!

jusbe and 33na3rd like this.
  15. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Be aware that adding shielding to the Duelunds raises their capacitance. Others have said that this affects the presentation of the highs. I have only heard the shielded versions myself.

16. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Jeff Day, of “Jeff’s Place” offers that the larger gauges of the Duelund have more powerful bass, and that the smaller gauges have “airier” highs.

I got mine from Gig Harbor Audio, and they recommended the 16 gauge over the smaller gauges.

dunkyboy and jhenry like this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

How are you guys managing the look of those Dueland speaker cables? I hooked them up but couldn’t live with the scraggly way they looked.

Edit: do you tape the two (+ and -) runs together?

18. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Pretty much mirrors my experience. I am using the 12 ga unterminated for speakers and the Belden 8402/Switchcraft interconnects

jusbe, Bill Why Man and 33na3rd like this.
  19. jusbe

jusbe Modern Melomaniac

What's wrong, not manly enough for you? Dig out your inner John Wayne! :laugh::tiphat:

But seriously, doesn't bother me as it mostly runs behind racks, but if it did, I might seek out either some loose cotton sheathing or a fibre wrap of some sort. Taping together is, for me, too likely an opportunity to get all OCD on maintaining the same distance across its length (like DNM, Nordost or Mapleshade) - though that may be more of an issue with single strands/solid core than litz.

Alternatively, perhaps a gentle (ie, not too many) helical wrap might work. As you'll know, the wire is relatively stiff and probably wouldn't appreciate being 'worked' too much.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  20. JCBROOKLYN

JCBROOKLYN Well-Known Member

The 16 gauge is perfect sound fantastic

21. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I'm using a pair of 16ga Duelund, balanced not RCA.
    Like them very much.
    Also have a pair of 16ga Duelund RCAs which I haven't tried yet.

If you need shielded may I suggest looking at
    Connex "The Natural One" from Parts Connexion?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  22. Samoyed

Samoyed Well-Known Member

I have a custom made 12 gauge set of speaker cables and love the sound. Look for member grannyring on audiogon. They are relatively cheap, and sound great with my Nord Mk ii, Kinki ex m1 and Rotel b1590.

23. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

The two pairs of ICs I have were made by grannyring.
    Thinking about getting the 12ga speaker cables.

24. Samoyed

Samoyed Well-Known Member

The speaker cables are very pleasing. I alternate them with Transparent music plus cables. I just can’t decide....

25. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Duelund speaker cable here. Belden 8402 interconnects. I’m considering using Duelund for my cartridge headshell leads, but I haven’t been in a fiddly enough mood yet.