ELO/Jeff Lynne Fans MUST Check Out New CD "L.E.O."

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Groovy, Nov 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow.

What a fantastic record. A bit of an indie "supergroup" starring Andy Strummer ("Jellyfish") and Bleu put together an amazing pop album of ORIGINALS meant to sound like ELO/Jeff Lynne.

I am thrilled with this album.

Plenty of those ELO harmonies - like "Evil Woman" from a different universe.

Those snapping late '80s Lynne/Petty/Harrison/Wilbury drums... and even some almost-authentic Harrison slide guitar work.

And almost all are incredibly catchy pop songs that stick in your head the way "Don't Bring Me Down" and "Sweet Talkin' Woman" do...

Check it out at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...r/104-6036659-0549536?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance

Listen to samples here. Especially check out tracks 2, 3 and 5!

http://cheaplullaby.bigcartel.com/product/l-e-o-alpacas-orgling

Curious what people think! Oh man, I love this album so much!

Jeff

2. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Thanks for sharing! You got me curious...

3. Electric Bozo

Electric Bozo Holy Synthesist

I got to hear some of these songs way in advance as Bleu sent files to me. I was thrilled to finally see the album come out. Other participants include Mike Viola (Candy Butchers, voice of "That Thing You Do"), Jason Scheff (Chicago), John "Strawberry" Fields, Hanson (yes, those guys), and Scott Simons from The Argument. Brilliant work, but as a fan of Bleu I expected no less.

4. Captain Groovy

I'm working with Fields right now on the new Willie Wisely album (they got back together after 10 years - it's been a blast).

So, yes - Fields is the one who gave it to me.

And although most of his other production work doesn't sound like it, Lynne (and Todd Rundgren) are his favorite producers.

I popped in the L.E.O. CD finally after he kept asking if I'd heard it, completely preparing my "Gee, really cool, but not my style" speech that I give to almost everyone who hands me a movie script, but I'm surprised and I LOVE IT! Phew - don't have to lie.

Jeff

5. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I rented an API console from him about ten years ago. He's a cool dude.

I ordered this CD weeks ago. Is it shipping yet?

6. Captain Groovy

It should! He said "It just came out" about two weeks ago when he gave it to me...

Let me know if you don't receive it within a week or so!

Jeff

7. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Groovy, man! :D I've definitely gonna get this. Thanks for the post. :thumbsup:

8. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

9. bhazen

bhazen ANNOYING BEATLES FAN

Thanks for the tip - I gotta have this one! I love ELO and anyone that aspires to ELOsity... ...which is next to Fab-ness...

(and how could I possibly ignore a recommendation from a guy named Captain Groovy?;))

10. Sounds like ELO Part II.

11. ChristianL

ChristianL Senior Member

Right You are!

Actually, it sounds more ELO-like than Zoom. Some really exiting moments.

12. bhazen

Captain (I may address you a Captain?) - thank you so much for this; I never would've known.

It's the very best, and most creative, sort of tribute: it uses original songs. Only the production technique has been emulated to illuminate the source of inspiration.

Cheers,
    Bruce

13. yellowballoon

yellowballoon Senior Member

I was disappointed that Andy Strumer only shows up on 2 songs. It's nice to hear his singing voice on the one line or two that he sings solo. When the hell is Andy going to put out a solo album?!!!!

Chris

14. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Dude, he's way too busy putting out those KILLER Puffy Ami Yumi albums. So, this is like an ELO Rutles?

15. bhazen

It's more sincere tribute than affectionate spoof, but you're in the ballpark - these guys have the Jeff Lynne production style down cold.

And that's a good thing!

16. Rando

Rando Active Member

I picked this up on emusic.com ... love it!

:edthumbs:

17. Rando

Rando Active Member

18. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

A friend of mine just loaned me his copy tonight.

I like what I'm hearing so far.

19. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Holy mackeral! They have it down pat!!!:eek: Awesome stuff. Thanks!

20. bhazen

...and of course, a tribute to ELO/Jeff Lynne is, indirectly, a tribute to the Fabs.

21. Captain Groovy

I ordered one from Newbury Comics just to get the proper CD version (and because I like to support artists) because my copy was a dupe of Fields'.

So mine arrived today. You get yours yet?

Jeff

22. jdmack

jdmack Forum Resident

Wow, these songs are great! But do my ears detect a bit of pitch correction on the vocals? There's a weird mechanical quality to the harmonies.

I think The Rutles comparison is accurate. "You Had Me Going" is certainly a parody of "Evil Woman." "Make Me" references the guitar from "Do Ya" (that's as far as I've listened so far).

J. D.

23. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I detect some on the lead vocal too. Still, sounds pretty cool.

24. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I played it through and liked what I heard. Interestingly, most of the fans on the ELO list serv ravaged this CD. They seemed to feel the same way about it that I feel about Tori Amos as a Kate Bush fan. Sometimes imitation is flattery, and sometimes it's insulting.

25. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I picked it up at Borders this afternoon. I wish the songs themselves were better. The production is definately very ELO. I'd say 1/3 of the songs are written as ELO clones from the ground up. The rest come off as kind of previously written leftovers these guys pooled together and gave them the big ELO production. The backing vocals are definately fun but the lead on the first song is heavily pitch corrected. Like I said, I wish the songs were better. They've pulled off the sound but not the songs. I'll keep playing it and see if I change my tune.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.