Great Discogs experiences - share yours!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Strat-Mangler, Sep 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I had enough of the negative Discogs threads. Share your positive experiences here.

Aside from most of my purchases being properly graded, I also had one who had used some terrific outer sleeves for the albums and when I inquired about which ones they were, he volunteered to send me 10 free of charge!

Also had a couple of sellers bundle additional records in the same genre that I had ordered for free. Though they weren't to my liking, it was a nice gesture.

Had a number of sellers going out of their way to ensure I was satisfied with the purchase. Those types of sellers are usually the ones who grade their records accurately but it's nice that they follow up.

cwitt1980 and GentleSenator like this.
  2. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

I had a fantastic experience with two different sellers on Discogs. I visit one of the sellers' brick and mortar store occasionally, so knew what to expect. The other seller I had never bought from before, but they had a ton of 70's/80's LP's from a jazz trumpeter, while sort of well known, isn't found a lot of places. Certainly not with so many albums all in one place like this. This seller's communication was top notch. He contacted me shortly after placing my order to let me know that one of the 40 year old albums was still sealed, and due to that, he couldn't confirm the exact matrix numbers or guarantee the condition of the inner sleeve. Offered me the opportunity to pass on that one if I wanted. Same seller also sent me an update on one of the titles after he pulled it from storage to let me know of possible ring wear/splitting on the outer sleeve. I thought that was pretty impressive. Once received, all the grades and descriptions were right on the mark.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  3. joachim.ritter

joachim.ritter Senior Member

Got my 1000th positive seller feedback there yesterday. Needed a little bit over a year for it. So far almost all buyers have been nice, some actually very understanding (mistakes happen).

quicksrt likes this.
  4. TwiceFan

TwiceFan Forum Resident

I bought two brand new albums (current reissues) that were both seam split on top. I asked for a "partial refund" and the seller offered me a third brand new album. I picked Neil Young "After The Gold Rush" which also arrived with a seam split! I still felt this was more than fair.

5. IllinoisCheesehead

Do forum rules allow naming of sellers within a thread like this one? I would personally find a lot of value in seeing with which specific Discogs sellers people have had great experiences. Not individuals selling one-offs necessarily, but the larger sellers with huge catalogs of used vinyl.

Although I suppose that would eventually devolve into an argument between people who had contrasting experiences with the same seller...

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

I think this thread is representative of the general leaning towards negativity.

As mentioned, most of my experiences have been positive and I'm sure it's the same with most; otherwise the platform would quickly go bankrupt... however, there's a bunch of negative threads and seldom any participation in this thread.

Hmmm,...

joachim.ritter likes this.
  7. IllinoisCheesehead

I'm definitely a little guilty of that. I am more inclined to pass along a negative experience than to proactively share a positive one. I think some of that is just human nature. Still, it's disappointing that this thread hasn't had more activity.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Discogs as a seller has been a lot like getting onto eBay in the early years before they added so many rules and jacked up the fees so high. I've been a Discogs member for 10 years, but sales were never great and I (previously) did not continue to sell there. But last year I started again because I saw the database is much more complete than it was even five years ago. And due to covid I had the time to list, and more time to deal with it.

A good size percentage of my buyers have less than 10 feedbacks, often 0 or only 1. So it is a brand new market for many buyers. And this is what reminds me of the early years of eBay. I'm doing my best to give them a superior buying experience. I had an order this morning come in with a message that said that the item is a gift and to please not include a sales invoice or receipt. I happen to have some really good gift wrapping paper - nice foil with an illustration of deep seafloor which I am going to gift-wrap this LP in before I pack it up. That should be a nice experience for my buyer. The LP is also a solid NM.

9. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No really, if you bought an LP for your girlfriend or boyfriend as a gift, and it arrived looking like this without even asking for gift wrap, wouldn't that be nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

What if they are allergic to fish?

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

That question is for the other (negative) threads, not this one! :p

cwitt1980 likes this.
  12. JustGotPaid

JustGotPaid Forum Resident

My last purchase the seller turned out to be local. He dropped off the records the next day at my house and reduced the shipping fee just to cover gas and his time. The 28 year old lp's were mint too.

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I stopped automatically giving feedbacks to buyers, to see what would happen, and how many would leave me FB first. I am getting 5% of the folks leaving feedback now. before when I was leaving it first I was getting 40% with 60% leaving nothing for me. I will give everyone FD very soon, but just wanted to see how many buyers would do it first.

Anyway, the positive FB that does come in has been really great, and leaves me feeling good about Discogs. I have much inventory to sell (later), and need to build up FB now, so later I can get top prices for the nicer items which I will eventually unload.

samples of FB that has come in recently:

By far the best purchase I've made on this platform. Excellent quality, communitive and reasonable prices. Records were in the exact condition as described by the seller (if not better) and packaged securely.
    feedback left on: 21-Oct-21 04:51 PM

The album is great! In the condition that was described. Like new and sounds fantastic!
    feedback left on: 19-Oct-21 10:43 PM

As described, safely packed, and shipped fast! Highest recommendation!
    feedback left on: 18-Sep-21 04:20 AM

Awesome seller, thank you so much!
    feedback left on: 13-Sep-21 01:43 PM

ULTRA CLEAN COPY
    feedback left on: 10-Sep-21 04:55 PM

Quick turnaround. Impeccable packaging. LPs meet and exceed the stated ratings. Thank you very much.
    feedback left on: 31-Aug-21 01:22 AM

Excellent Communication ! Very Fast Service Interesting Inventory ! Have a Look You Will Not Be Disappointed ! Recommended !
    feedback left on: 13-Aug-21 02:15 PM

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just had what is potentially turning out great!

I sold a classic piano concerto just now. The album is signed on the back cover by the performer, and is dated "1978 England." The person with no prior feedback is the performer on the LP. So the signee is the person purchasing the LP. How funny. And it's sweet.

Lost In The Flood and MC Rag like this.
  15. Oscar Calero

Oscar Calero Member

I bought a record for $50 and it wasn't what I expected but I received a 40% refund

16. GimiSomeTruth

GimiSomeTruth Forum Resident

those are people that have anger/ control/ entitlement issues, and feel justified to constantly vent their grievances on line or demand to ‘speak to the manager’. I don’t think these people even really like music for the most part as much as they like trying to control and belittle people.

17. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

very "My name? oh yes, it's J.R. Hartley."

18. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

Karen's are gonna Karen:laugh:

o/t but not - saw some hilarious shouty reviews for a leaflet/booklet/zine printing company once , people who had no problem with the product they'd actually paid for, but were totally outraged/ personally offended the company had added a note + a friendly bonus of a tiny packet of jelly sweets that WEREN'T VEGAN, how dare they!!!11!!! :rolleyes:

GimiSomeTruth likes this.
  19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

I once ordered a 30th Anniversary White Album and got sent a 2009 by accident. Luckily enough the seller only lived about 30 miles away. I met him halfway and had the 30th within 3 hours after getting the wrong one in the post.

20. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

That's a nice thing to do.

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

Nice would have been bringing it directly to my house

22. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I just bought a batch of 45s from a seller in Australia. We'll call him Dave. I asked him a question about shipping to the US. He actually answered with complete sentences in paragraph form. I call that a win and placed the order.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Had a great experience with Discogs themself. Sold a CD to a buyer that was angling for a partial refund to reduce their cost basis. Claimed the CD jewel case was broken even though I pack CDs to survive being dropped off the second story. I wanted it to be done with so offered to refund the cost of a new jewel case (this release has a standard clear tray jewel case) or accept the return including paying return shipping as I just had that gut feeling this is not what the buyer would do. Never replied to either of my offers and left negative feedback saying "seller only offered $2 refund for case, I don't know how to replace a case". Reported the feedback to Discogs saying I was willing to work with them and buyer never replied to my solutions and they quickly removed it.

Also had a buyer ask if I'd be willing to discount on a $18 CD and I did offer a discount. Then asked me if I could email them pictures of the playing side even though I graded it NM and all my feedback says I grade accurately. On a hunch went to check their buyer feedback and pasting this "There were definitely issues with this buyer but we did get it done. Thanx." Went straight to the blocked buyer list.

24. Detroit Rock Citizen

The next time I have an actual positive experience with Discogs Seller (other then a transaction that went according to how it should go) I'll post it. I've been having bad luck lately and bad faith sellers aren't making it any easier.

25. mstoelk

mstoelk Well-Known Member

So you are saying the a transaction that goes exactly as it should and results in you getting exactly what you expected is not "positive "?,

Is your definition of a positive experience buying a VG+ album at VG+ price and getting a NM vinyl instead a positive experience?

Do you feel obligated to pay up for that positive experience and "tip" your seller for over delivering?

A transaction going exactly as it should, should 110% a "positive ", your expectation that you should get more than you paid paid in order for it to be positive is an issue, with you as a buyer

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.