I'm mastering 1969's "CROSBY, STILLS & NASH" this Tuesday for AF. 4 Guests picked*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

Cool! Thanks Steve!

Looking forward to finally hearing a good sounding version of Suite: Judy Blue Eyes!

2. DJ Phoenix

DJ Phoenix New Member

Cool thing: I'm about a 10-15 min drive from the place, it'd be awesome to do something like this.

3. Purplerocks

Purplerocks Forum Resident

I'm curious to understand Steve, when you state that this "should be a painless" process what you mean...how do you expect this one to differ from other sessions? Any further insight is very appreciated.

4. direwolf-pgh

direwolf-pgh Well-Known Member

too cool !! will be there in spirit. ohm-a-ra-batsa-ne-di-di-di

5. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Glad to hear that. As much as any album ever, this one is perfect just the way it is.

6. dmt

dmt Forum Resident

I would love to go!

When I got the tweet, I was at the Journey concert @ The Hollywood Bowl when Night Ranger sang "Sister Christian", and I got the magic tweet.

A magic time indeed!

7. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Post pics, Steve!

8. emkay

emkay Senior Member

Oh, if only you worked on the East Coast!:D

A generous offer indeed...

I'll be looking forward to hearing what this one sounds like. Great album!

9. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I Can See By Your Face My Friend You're From The Other Side...

... the same month as Young's second Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere and The Who's Tommy.

Glad to see the pure beauty of this stunning debut album not marred by any extra bogus tracks...

I'm very happy AF keep faithful to the original albums and presentation and just makes it all sound even better.

I'll be more than happy to buy three copies fo this CSN baby once it gets put out...

By Christmas maybe? :confused:

Can't wait to hear "Wooden Ships" and "Helplessly Hoping" and "Guinnevre."

cheers,
    mrbill

10. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

wow. if i had the money i would seriously take the time off from work and fly across country to sit in on this.

enjoy!

11. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Now this has got my juices flowing. Great news.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The guests to attend our mastering have been selected and notified.

So as far as it stands now, we have four SH Forum members who will be attending. Yes, it will be a tight squeeze with three of us mastering people and four of you. Take a bath before showing up..:)

Guests, security at Marsh Mastering is really tight so be on time (11:00 or 10:45 at earliest). There is a call phone at the front entrance. Just dial up Marsh and someone will come to get you..

Our invited Forum guests may or may not wish to remain anonymous so I'll leave it to them to talk about this experience..

A lot of things can happen before Tuesday so if something comes up and any invited guests cannot make it I will be contacting others on the list who requested attendence. Also, you will be on the short list for next time we do this (which I guess will be sooner than I thought).

I wish we had room for a bunch of people but that's just not possible. We'll do it again soon.

13. kozy814

kozy814 Forum Resident

I can't wait for this one!

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Congrats to the people selected, should be a great experience!

15. Have fun, guys...wish I could join you myself!!!:wave:

16. Steve Hoffman

Well, the HEART mastering. Came from a bunch of different sources, each with a different studio sound, alignment, etc. Terror.

This should (key word is SHOULD) be a lot easier.

We have the true masters that come from Stephen Stills, 15 ips non Dolby - edits all over the damn place (but they're holding just fine). All I want to accomplish is to add some breath of life to this album. Many of the songs on it mean a great deal to me in my life and I want a disk that I can play which will bring out the "aliveness" in the vocals for once..

I've done the pre-production homework, compared pressings from all over both analog and digital and I'm ready. I've even begun to sing Helplessly Hoping in an Elmer Fudd voice which is always a good sign for me..

17. Boy, howdy...this sounds like it's gonna be a fun mastering session for you guys, and a fun listen for the rest of us, Steve!!!:goodie::goodie::goodie:

18. Steve Hoffman

Analog masters.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Between this kind of information, and the classifieds, and the general good vibe I get here...this is easily the best place to be online.

:cheers:

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wish someone could video record the session.

21. Maybe one of the Forum guests will bring along a point-and-shoot camcorder, Grant...Steve did say pictures were allowed!!!:D

22. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Good thing the session's not being held at a used record store or you might be asking a bit much. ;)

23. olsen

olsen Senior Member

Exsqueeze me?

24. Steve Hoffman

Last time I offered, a few months ago for James Taylor "SWEET BABY JAMES" only about 15 people seemed interested.. This time it was over 100..

25. ddhd

ddhd Forum Resident

The enthusiasm on my part is from afar since I'm on the other coast:(

A webcast might be well received

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.