List of early vertical loading CD players

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Peacekeepr73, Jun 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member Thread Starter

Today I picked up a Soundesign 5055BLK Vertical loading CD player from 1989 for 10$ and I am thoroughly enjoying the sight of my CDs spinning about so considering the cheapness of Soundesign I have decided to look for a better vertical load CD player on the Bay. Saddly searching "Vintage vertacle load CD player" I come up with nothing. What I would like to do is with the help of everyone on the forum compile a list of all the early vertical loading CD players so that I may search each out individually. Also it would be a great resource of anyone doing the same. Please include pics.

2. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

JVC XL-V1

[​IMG]

TENSAI TAD-2000

[​IMG]

PIONEER PD-1

[​IMG]

KENWOOD L-03DP

[​IMG]

SANYO DAD-8

[​IMG]

HITACHI DA-1000

[​IMG]

LO-D (HITACHI HIGH-END IMPRINT) DAD-1000

[​IMG]

DENON DCD-2000

[​IMG]

KYOCERA DA-01

[​IMG]

AKAI CD-D1

[​IMG]

NEC CD-803

[​IMG]

MICRO SEIKI CD-115

[​IMG]

3. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

Nice! The Pioneer and the Kyocera are good looking.

domfjbrown and tmtomh like this.
  4. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Bang & Olufsen have done a few vertical loading CD players that let you see the disc spin.

5. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Mitsubishi DP-101 also known as Diatone DP-101 in Japan
    Extremely rare unit.

Happen to own one courtesy of a former Stereo Review magazine writer who bought it new back in 1983. Retailed for $1200 back then.

I made a nice YouTube Video of my Mitsubishi in action. Still works after all these years!

Attached Files:

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Excellent work there, MacGyver.

7. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Those are cool players. I haven't seen one in years, but I'd love to own one that works.

8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I was just going to post this - Beosound 2300 circa 1991

Attached Files:

9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

My "garage system" has one. :winkgrin:

[​IMG]

domfjbrown and tmtomh like this.
  10. Peter314

Peter314 Forum Resident

Don't want to come across as some kind of spelling Nazi, but if you search for "vintage vertical load cd player" you will get better results. :)

domfjbrown likes this.
  11. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Phase Linear made one back in the day...we used to call it "the toaster"...

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Dual CD-120

Here's a Dual entry in the sweepstakes. A word of caution: it generally will not play past the 70 minute or so initial time limit; in other words, more recent 80-minute discs give it trouble. In fact, if memory serves, even discs exceeding 60 minutes can be problematic. I don't know how many of these early players share that limitation, but you may want to be careful if you plan to buy one and use it for more than decoration.

Attached Files:

13. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

I had an Emerson around 1986.

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'm positive there was a vertical-loading Technics player around 1982-1983, but I'm not positive if it was ever released in the U.S. I believe I shot photos of one for an early issue of Digital Audio magazine from a Chicago CES in that era.

Those did look very cool. I think the only reason they fell out of favor is that everybody figured out that the mechanisms cost too much to manufacture, plus it was possible to make a really thin CD player that would more easily fit average people's systems.

Here's an early Philips prototype:

[​IMG]

15. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I reckon they were difficult to load, too. With drawers, it's easy to handle a CD by the edges and drop it in. With the vertical loaders, it must be harder to do that.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, they weren't hard to load. I always stuck my finger in the center spindle hole and carried them around that way, then slipped them into the slot. No big deal. Getting them out was harder.

Ultimately, the drawer-loading horizontal transports made more sense and were easier to load. But not as interesting-looking as the vertical-loaders.

One of the nicest-looking machines I ever owned was the Technics SL-P1200 -- the slanted-load DJ-style machine:

[​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.
  17. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Ah, this one was on my wish list for a long time. IIRC, it was heralded for its sound quality, and was featured on the cover of either HIGH FIDELITY or STEREO REVIEW.

I occassionally troll eBay for one, but since this model was a DJ favorite, I assume most used units have tremendous mileage on them.

18. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

The KYOCERA DA-01 is the one to look for, they show up every now and then, the most modern of the breed, classic high-end Japanese looks and sound to match :thumbsup:. The microprossessor's can be an issue, and good luck finding parts.

Would look and sound great with some vintage Luxman or Accuphase gear.

If you want a total vertical system the Mitsubishi is your only choice with their vertical linear tracking turntable :)

excellent research and pics Mac :edthumbs:

19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Here's a list of players tested in the german Audio magazine from March 1983, which indicated vertical/horizontal.

Some of these players were technically identical.

Attached Files:

20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I have a Goldstar one lying around somewhere.

21. tps

tps Forum Resident

The first year that CD players were on display at CES in Chicago, this was the only one; not even Sony or Philips had CD players on display that year. I remember standing at one corner of the big hall trying to ignore the thump of the boom cars, listening to Bob James & Earl Klugh's "One On One" through headphones, the first CD I ever heard.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Yes, like you need another CD player. ;) :D

23. sacsongs

sacsongs Senior Member

Although not an early unit, the recent Beosound 9000 from B&O still uses this alignment. It can also be stand mounted or wall mounted. I saw one in their store in SoHo, NYC. Cool but very pricey.

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/beosound9000

24. MacGyver

MacGyver Forum Resident

TECHNICS SL-P1200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tmtomh likes this.
  25. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You're killing me! The first two photos are real beauties. None of the units I've seen on eBay look remotely as nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.