List of Hendrix tracks with Buddy Miles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonA, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Thanks, however is "Baggy`s" the name of the rehearsal space ? It is the meaning of the word "Baggy`s" that I have the question about.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Baggy's Studios was a the rehearsal space in Manhattan they used to rehearse for the shows.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, the instrumental version was on the original 12" back in 1984.

This was the press release when Doriella du Fontaine re-appeared on a CD single with Experience recordings Fire and Touch You:

Doriella Du Fontaine (Jimi Hendrix, Buddy Miles And Lightnin' Rod)
    To celebrate and support Record Store Day 2011, the newly re-launched and Karakos-powered Celluloid Records presents a limited repress of the classic "Doriella Du Fontaine". The project began in late 1969 with famed producer Alan Douglas recording the unmistakable Jimi Hendrix and legendary Buddy Miles in rolling and groove-laden musical backdrop. Fast forward 4 years and Lightnin' Rod (aka Jalaluddin Mansur Nuriddin) adds in his distinctive vocal soundtrack. Rod calls it "spoagraphics" (spoken pictures) but to most listeners hear it as the roots of an early form of rap. Rhythm, spoken-word and the art of the storyteller all wrapped up into one. The two meld together to create something new and unheard in 1973 and something still sounding fresh in 2011.
    7" single
    Label: Celluloid Records

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Got it now, thanks !

5. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Oh
    Oh how I wish EH/Sony would release this on vinyl like they did with the previous two Dagger studio albums, "Hear My Music" and "Burning Desire".

Hep Alien and John Fell like this.
  6. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Oh I never knew this. So the vocal was without a doubt done in 73? I found this on crosstown which makes me question the claim:
    "

Personally my guess would be that Jimi and Buddy recorded their parts together with LR/Alafia Pudim/Jalaluddin Mansur Nuriddin because the instruments really follow the vocals, as pointed out elsewhere on CTT (can't find the exact link:apathy:). The story that LR added his vocals in 1973 dates from 1996. Maybe LR did overdubs?"

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2016
    kees1954 likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Isn't the jury still out on that one? The Last Poets guy says he was in the studio recording with Jimi and Buddy.

Picture Snatcher likes this.
  8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It is a weird contradiction. Was the Lightnin' Rod just fibbing that to bring himself some attention?
    In the book Ultimate Hendrix (2009), which is THE reference book on Hendrix sessions from Experience Hendrix, it does say that Rod was at the session. When the CD single came out in 2001, the story had changed! Had they discovered that the previous story was a sham?

Hep Alien and DTK like this.
  9. Picture Snatcher

well theres one thing....ddf doesnt sound like any other hendrix song...he's playing is completely different here (and the best imo)...i cant imagine this as a straight upf unk instrumental but i can imagine jimi recording this riff for rod

10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have never really analysed the instrumentral track of DDF, but I was always under the impression that it was tape-looped by Douglas. Anyone know if this is the case?

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Sorry, "Doriella du Fontaine" was a stand-alone re-released track and not on the Fire/Touch You CD (Cat Talkin' To Me with Mitch's 1987 vocal overdub was the bonus track on that one). Here's the page about it at Celluloid's site:

Celluloid Records || CEL166: Jimi Hendrix and Lightnin' Rod - Doriella Du Fontaine ยป

Hep Alien likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I contacted Celluloid Records asking them who had given them the important information that Lightnin' Rod had added his vocals in 1973.
    Their response: "It was Alan Douglas".

Hep Alien likes this.
  13. Picture Snatcher

interesting...i wonder how many post jimi overdubs claims come only from him

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.