Nick Lowe Getting Six New Deluxe Reissues From Yep Roc Records

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mlew, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Thank you ! How is the SQ ?

2. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Admittedly, I'm not much of an audiophile...I mostly just use my car CD player or my iPod, but I think they sound clean...not too much trouble with "loudness"...correction on dates JoC was 2008 and Labour was 2011...didn't realize so much time had passed already...

Christopher B likes this.
  3. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Deserves a knighthood. "Sir Basher" has a nice ring to it.

4. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

The first two CD reissues arrived from YepRoc the other day.

The bonus tracks on The Abominable Showman are:

13 Pet You And Hold You [live] 03:22
    14 Crackin' Up [live] 03:13
    15 (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace Love And Understanding [live] 03:36

"Pet You And Hold You" is not listed on the YepRoc website

5. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

It's not even listed on my CD... is it yours?

Coppertop Tester likes this.
  6. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

No. It must have been a last minute addition, a mistake, or a hidden bonus track. :D

It's not correct in the Discogs listing. I wonder if it's on the single that goes along with the vinyl reissue version.

7. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Anyone seen their copies of Cowboy Outfit and Rose of England yet?

8. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

August 25th is the release date. Eclipse first, Nick Lowe reissues later that week. ;)

Craig likes this.
  9. highway chile

Yes, but if you pre-order the entire set they are shipping early. I received Nick the Knife and Abominable Showman about a week ahead of the release date. The yeproc site says the next 2 releases will start shipping in late July. Obviously they didn't make that.

10. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I disagree. Big Hair, Black Lincoln Continental, Wishing Well, Crying In Sleep.. what a great record. Part of a long streak of amazing pop albums that have not yet received their due.

11. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Labour Of Love has one bonus track.

12. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

You are correct...I misspoke...

13. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I played Pinker and Prouder not too long ago and I really enjoyed listening to it. It's not going to make me throw away JoC , Labor of Lust, The Impossible Bird just to name a few, but it still stands on its own. I'm looking forward to the reissue. There's no such thing as a crappy Nick Lowe album.

noahjld, Lemon Curry and Dennis Metz like this.
  14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

good for you, ymmv obviously. When he did Crying in My Sleep at the Little Village show, so many people went to the loo it was funny. Wife looked at me like 'THIS is the guy you think is fabulous??' Fortunately she's seen him many times since and has changed her tune.

15. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I can't speak for the show. The recorded performance, with it's retro sonics, is a gem.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  16. highway chile

Just received Cowboy Outfit and Rose of England. As with Nick the Knife and The Abominable Showman in July, there are no liner notes.
    Another slightly perturbing note is that Yep Roc has been tweeting that these are now available from Deep Discount for considerably less than the pre-order from Yep Roc. I guess what one gets for their extra cash is the lunchbox (eventutally), and you get the releases a few days before they hit the streets.
    Sonically, they are certainly a significant improvement over the Demon CD's. Maybe not Vic Anesini good, but very good. Most definitely worth picking up!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  17. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Mine aren't here yet, but thanks for getting me angry ahead of time...LOL...I hate when labels pull stunts like this...maybe they'll start to wonder if we're willing to stop pre-ordering...nah, didn't think so either...

highway chile likes this.
  18. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Forum Resident

Interesting. Last time I got mine a day or two before release.
    This time, they haven't even shipped yet...

19. highway chile

That's a big fat drag!

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  20. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Yeah - I'm kind of antsy hearing about others getting theirs...

TheLoveDrags likes this.
  21. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

22. Cambot

Cambot Forum Resident

They failed to ship the lunchboxes prior to the start of the school year - fail! My kid was gonna be the coolest 2nd grader in town!

I am serious.

rswitzer likes this.
  23. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

At least you can take it to parent-teacher conferences where they make you sit in the little desk.

24. I love Nick. I'm glad these are back in print. I'm glad to see them add bonus tracks to the set. I'm just not going to buy these again for a couple of songs per album.

25. Quincy

Quincy Senior Member

I'm with you there as I've made that same decision many times. With this I'm righting a 33 year old wrong of where I taped my friend's copy of Cowboy Outfit LP. :laugh:

There was about a 15 year stretch beginning in the '90s where I went on a jazz bender, so when the tape decks broke in the house & then the car not having this album was missed, but not to a degree where cheapness or laziness could overcome that, along with all the other competing interests.

I long loved how the album began but the back end was far better than I remembered. I have no idea why but this has been a big year for all era Nick Lowe appreciation. Most playing time has been in his grey & white haired era, so perhaps visiting the early-middle period feels like a youthful jolt too.

I still can't believe such a humongous sticker was put over him on the cover.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.