Parting with CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Adam9, Aug 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlecA

AlecA Forum Resident

Hmm, just read the article and I agree that he didn't seem to be telling anyone what they should do, just what he did.

Perhaps it helps that I have gone through similar purges. I used to work in the publishing industry and had way too many books. I purged most of them (even the signed ones) and haven't once missed them. I'm no minimalist, but I also abhor clutter.

All that said, I have purged a few thousand CDs and would like to purge a few thousand more. Like losing weight, the first few thousand were easy to part with--it's getting harder, now. Streaming services have helped greatly. I still worry that the streaming market will shatter, silo, and then become as pricey as cable TV (which I got rid of years ago), but I haven't gotten rid of anything I really consider essential. Of the things I have gotten rid of, I haven't regretted a thing.

I like that after years of collecting, I am now curating my collection. It feels good and worthwhile to me. But that's just me. I wouldn't think twice about someone who had a different opinion. As eric777 said above, collect if makes you happy, purge if it does the same. One size does not fit all.

2. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

'Live Forever', by any chance? If so, I had the exact same experience.

Mbd77 likes this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I get the impression that the majority of people have no filter on their buying habits; which I can totally relate to. However, if living on the edge due to your collection, it probably doesn’t allow you to afford a dwelling capable of housing all of it. This, the desire to downsize.

4. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I guess I wouldn’t call what he had was a “collection”, but to each his own.

Howard Bleach likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't think he's telling anyone what to do, but it's this kind of rubbish that annoys me:

"As physical objects, they are utterly unlike their vinyl predecessors in that they inspire little or no loyalty or sentimentality. They don’t age in interesting, organic ways. They’re essentially unlovable aluminum coasters in uninspiring packaging".

and

"How many people even still keep a CD player anywhere other than in a neglected corner of their garage?"

There's too much recently trying and sometimes succeeding in making people who still like a very good format for music look like backwards dinosaurs, even though I know what's out there and chose CDs and vinyl out of genuine preference. I understand people downsizing, it makes sense and I do it regularly myself. I'd never want to be a hoarder with loads of music I don't like, even as downloads. I like a lot of music though.

6. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Um, I hate to break it to you; but it seems like you feel asleep for a verrrrrry long time :D

ARK, Mbd77 and Man at C&A like this.
  7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I love having access to CDs, LPs, etc.

8. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

Unlike TV, internet give voice to every idiot in the world, like the author

wrappedinsky, Pop_Zeus and Man at C&A like this.
  9. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

Can't do it. Won't do it.

Mr.La Page likes this.
  10. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Just read the article. The only main complaint I have is the notion that CDs are "unlovable" and there's no "CD experience". I've bought around 150 records since first getting a turntable a few years back. Right now, all of those records are sitting in a crate downstairs. I don't even know which box my turntable is in, let alone the receiver, EQ, speaker cables, etc. And I don't feel like looking, either. The only difference between records and CDs for me is that I can't leave the room. They're fun to collect, but I'm not getting very much out of them. I get the feeling that's the same way this guy feels about CDs, but worded less aggressively. He doesn't care about the format - he just bought them because he wanted the music. There are other ways to get the music now and the reason he bought them to begin with has become invalid.

Apart from that, though, I don't think the article really warrants too much thought. He's moved and he needs to downsize and he got rid of something he realized he didn't need anymore. CDs are a really easy target for that kind of writing. "You can just stream it", "they don't have the big artwork like LPs", "they take up a ton of space", "you never play them in a CD player", all these things. Streaming has crappy quality, I don't care about big artwork, any collectible takes up space (never mind that LPs, being bigger, take up even more space), and I don't need to use them in a specific manner to enjoy them. But I'm getting sidetracked. This article isn't an attack on CDs - just a former CD collector rambling about cleaning his house.

RSteven and kiddo4 like this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Irony?

12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Why do people want to share such mundanity? At least posting here most people are like minded to some extent, but I don't understand why someone would think that's worth sharing with everyone.

13. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I like the realization in the article that what was once hip ain't worth a nickel these days. A few biggies such as Stones and Beatles will still get ya a couple of bucks but good luck with those Spin Doctor disks. That just means my CD's are worth far more to me than they are to others. So with me they stay. He who dies with the most CDs wins!

Jam757 and Pop_Zeus like this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

The outrage shown because some dude has different views is so childish. Probably the same people who are happy that the used CD racks are full.

dkmonroe, ARK and eric777 like this.
  15. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

There just seems to be a trend in the media towards making "not owning" stuff the desirable route to take. It makes you "ready" for the "future", to quote a current advert for some ISP or other. I'm not sure it's as innocent as just sharing an opinion; it may be that person's experience, but either he's been asked to share it for a reason or else it's not his opinion and there's an agenda for writing it in the first place.

Owning stuff used to be the aim of the various industries, and fuelled by the media.

Now it's the opposite...well, not exactly the opposite, because they want you to still be in thrall to *something*. It's just not owning so much of those *somethings*, now it's about access and content and all that data/marketing control BS.

How dare we listen to the music we want on our own equipment, unconnected to the cloud. What kind of loser chooses that? I mean, CDs are ****, right. Disposable, ugly things with lousy music and cases that kill the planet. Ugh. Just the thought of it all makes my hipster beard curl. Can I get a shot of vegan soya latte NOW?! Alexa??!!!

EG.

ShawnMcCann, SKBubba, Sear and 4 others like this.
  16. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Are you referring to the article, or my novel about the article? I can't speak for that author, but to the second point... delusions of grandeur? :winkgrin:

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I thought them hipsters were buying vinyls and cassettes

Lost In The Flood, mr. suit and ARK like this.
  18. Lasting Spaces

Lasting Spaces Forum Resident

I really doubt the writer will "age in interesting, organic ways."

d3adf1sh likes this.
  19. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

They are, hence their disgust at the very thought of a CD.

EG.

d3adf1sh likes this.
  20. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Yeah, but they'll still that have sweet music control.

Just in that quirky ironic way that makes hipsters so cuddly and lovable

21. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Well put, couldn't have said it better myself

Pop_Zeus and InStepWithTheStars like this.
  22. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Assuming they actually play those vinyls and tapes, and don't just sit and stream everything on their phones ;)

EG.

23. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

I ain't getting rid of mine! I do think there are those who share the author's sentiments.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.