Phoenix, AZ best used record stores?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Revolver, Sep 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident Thread Starter

I will be heading to Phoenix in a couple of months and am trying to figure out what record stores I should be heading to. I will have limited time. If they are close to kid-friendly places where I can ship the family off to to buy me some time, that would be great.

Specifically looking for 60s/70s soul, 1920s-1960s blues, and maybe some 50s rock and roll or 60s psych/garage rock.

Thanks for any replies!

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I am going there too next week so I am interested also. More in CDs as they are easier to transport.

Revolver likes this.
  3. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

4. NightHider

NightHider Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    GentleSenator, Revolver and Adam9 like this.
  5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Anything in Scottsdale?

6. NightHider

Not sure about anything in Scottsdale but the Mesa/Tempe Zia stores are very close and get a lot of the Scottsdale/ASU trades and are usually well stocked!!

Adam9 likes this.
  7. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

8. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

For vinyl:
    The In Groove
    Record High
    Ghost of Eastside Records
    The Record Room
    Stinkweeds
    Revolver Records

For CD's
    Zia Records (many locations)
    Half Price Books

Except for Record High, all the vinyl stores above have CD's in limited offerings.

Adam9 and Revolver like this.
  9. NightHider

Wow, the old Eastside Records was the BEST!! Wasn't aware that the Ghost had returned!! Must.Check.Out!!

10. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Zia is good, but they use a lot of tape on all four sides of CD cases, even multiple layers. It's hard to remove.

LordThanos1969 and Adam9 like this.
  11. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Haha, I know. So annoying. Those guys are really paranoid about theft.

Blue Gecko likes this.
  12. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Eastside Records is now known as Double Nickels. It is run by Eastside, but other vendors also sell on consignment there.

If you are into vinyl, go to The In Groove first. They have the best selection of audiophile and collectible records in the city by far. It is also the cleanest, most organized record store I have ever seen.

13. Revolver Records has gotten even better with a second Phoenix location on East Thomas Road. While the Arcadia store is a fine extension of the original — clean and stocked CDs, audio gear and with some higher-priced (befitting the location) items (like Japanese audiophile pressings), nothing beats the downtown location's atmosphere: dirty, dusty, and dingy, a place that feels more like an old shed than a record shop. But that works here as the emphasis is clearly on vinyl — and there is plenty. (There are CDs and DVDs too, but this is a vinyl-first outfit.) Revolver may have the best jazz selection in Phoenix. While not the biggest, there were plenty of hot '60s offerings from guys like Monk, Coltrane, Miles, Hawkins, Blakey, Sanders, Mingus, and others of a similar ilk. A number of crucial reissue titles (in all genres) are found at reasonable prices, along with some appropriately priced rarities behind the counter. The rock section was sort of, well, overwhelming, but it was well-organized so it was easy to aim for specific items. Beatles records are reasonably priced, which is always a good sign. Revolver also features a big funk and soul/R&B sections, a nice DJ/electronic zone, a carefully sourced classical section, though maybe a bit too much easy listening and country. Bargain hunters should start and finish here. With thousands of marked down items beginning at $1, it’s hard to go wrong. Revolver’s nice mix of genres, with good prices and helpful clerks, makes this my first stop on future vinyl safaris.

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  14. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

When was the last time you were there? I live close to both those stores and rarely ever go to either one because I almost never find anything there anymore. I used to like the Arcadia Revolver, but there is ongoing construction going on in the area that makes the drive a pain.

Next time you are in town, check out The In Groove, which is down the street from the Arcadia Revolver, away from the construction. They recently moved into a new, larger location. That store puts both Revolver locations to shame.

15. markaberrant

markaberrant Forum Resident

Hit up In the Groove today. Very nice store, and nice to overhear the knowledgable staff give great advice to customers looking to buy turntables, speakers and vinyl sleeves. I am so used to hearing garbage advice given on gear from record stores.

However, I didn't buy a thing. I don't really care for mainstream stuff like Beatles, Hendrix, Zep, etc. They had gobs of that, but very little of the stuff I dig - cool garage, glam, goth, punk, etc. If I had a few hours to really dig, I probably could have eventually stumbled onto something. We have better stores on the Canadian prairies, and it certainly doesn't hold a candle to the shops I frequent in Denver and Austin.

16. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

I live in Kansas City. Went to the In Groove in Phoenix. I bought over 140.00 in used and new records. They had multiple copies of records I hadn't seen since I was a teenager back in the 70's. My biggest find, a new copy of the Beatles Let It Be...Naked on vinyl. They had just got it in and hadn't even put it out for sale. I was only in Phoenix that day as we were traveling to Sedona for a five day stay in a rental cabin. A yr before we were going. I checked online to see what record stores were in Phoenix. In Groove wasn't listed. Tried again six months later and it wasn't just listed, it was the second best record store in town. Every used vinyl copy I bought was in NM- or better. Hope this helps

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Heading to Scottsdale for the weekend! Will have plenty of time to peruse vinyl.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’ll be exploring a few of them this week:cheers:

LordThanos1969 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.