Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality: "A Swingin' Affair" - 1957

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jan 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

The silence is deafening in the advance publicity from UMe and FSE for this album.

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Bob, Newbury Comics is running a 25% vinyl sale today through Sunday on new and used titles (sale items excluded). Usually the city stores and Norwood are decent about carrying Sinatra on release date.

Bob F likes this.
  3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Thanks, Bryan. I may head over to Norwood, but I was hoping someone would report on how it sounds before I pull the trigger. Where's @Ronald Sarbo when you need him?

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  4. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Nothing yet here....if they are coming from Europe it might take another week.

5. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Ya know, I was sorta feeling the same way, but I am just so hopeful that they did what they did with SFSL that I will go get it Sunday morning...unless ol' Elephant Ears @MLutthans hits a record store 1st and bears bad news.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

I'll be surprised if it's not the MFSL files transferred to vinyl -- but if we've all learned one lesson around here when it comes to Sinatra releases, that lesson is: ASSUME NOTHING!! :agree: Hopefully it turns out nicely.

bozburn, CBackley, aza14782 and 2 others like this.
  7. teag

teag Forum Resident

I see Amazon now says in stock June 19th.

8. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Amazon delivered mine today. It sounds very nice so far. I haven't done a close A/B to anything else, and I don't know this material near as well (to say the least) as some of you. But I'm happy with how this LP sounds. And my copy is perfectly centered, flat, and dead quiet.

bferr1, Bob F, bozburn and 1 other person like this.
  9. CBackley

I really like how The Lonesome Road sounds on my system on this LP. It really comes to life.

My daughter (2-years-old) was dancing to Night and Day earlier. It's a keeper. (The record, I mean. She's a keeper too.)

10. CBackley

Again, I'm no expert on this album. I've listened to the Norberg version a few times. I love the MFSL SACD. And now I have this new reissue LP. I love the bass on it. It sounds very lively. Lots of thump.

AxeD, paulmock, bferr1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

12. MLutthans

There's an odd cutoff (the ending is very slightly clipped off) on "At Long Last Love" on the MFSL CD, and it is replicated on the new LP. Likewise, there is a (to my knowledge) unique little audio hiccup near the end of "Oh, Look at Me Now" on the MFSL hybrid that is replicated on the new LP. The waveforms, for what it's worth, look the same, too.

IMO, the new LP, which sounds very nice, is related to the MFSL hybrid disc, as appeared to the be case with the Songs for Swingin' Lovers releases. A-okay by me, as the resultant sound is very nice, with the source tapes happily re-assembled (digitally or otherwise), clean, dynamic, etc.

I have not A/Bd in any significant detail, but since the recent SFSL was certainly in the running for "best sounding LP release ever" for that title , I suspect the same will be true for this one, as well.

(Thanks to @AxeD for sending data for waveforms, audio clips, etc. Much appreciated, and it made my life a little easier, to boot.)

I'll get some clips posted, but it may be a few days, as I'm a little swamped right now. Bottom line, I agree with AxeD and @CBackley: The LP sounds very good. I can't imagine anybody being anything but happy with it. Go grab one.

Capitol Scorecard updated: Capitol Scorecard

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    TLMusic, aza14782, DLant and 5 others like this.
  13. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Got my copy yesterday. It remains unopened until cocktail hour this evening. Glad to hear the good reviews. Boy, they don't hide the fact that it was made in the Netherlands any more.

DLant and MLutthans like this.
  14. CBackley

I'm relieved to hear that my assessment wasn't way off base. Whew!

I gave the new LP a close listen on headphones yesterday. I like it just as much as the MFSL SACD, which makes sense if the source is the same.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

OHHHHHeeww! Playing it now. I forgot I have a near-pristine D1 Scranton OP of this bad boy. I played the 1st 3 tracks of that and quickly switched to the UMe. THIS IS IT! The UMe is shade brighter but that may have to do with minor groove wear. Nonetheless, the Lord can take me now. As far as I am concerned, barring any unearthed treasures, my Sinatra collection is now complete.:love::love::love::love::love::love:

Bob F, AxeD, CBackley and 3 others like this.
  16. teag

teag Forum Resident

Nice!!

But are you saying the new UME has groove wear?

17. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Good to know they are using again the MFSL SACD master for this. I hope Rob and Shawn get some extra bucks for their wonderful job.

18. MLutthans

Yes, but how do you REALLY feel? :laugh:

CBackley likes this.
  19. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Please forgive me if I was misleading there...I think the UMe sounded a tad brighter than the D1 Scranton OP due to the possibility of the D1 copy having groove wear. The D1 sounds great, but the UMe does beat it for sound all around.

teag, MLutthans and CBackley like this.
  20. teag

teag Forum Resident

Paul - I was wondering if you have compared the new release with the MFSL Silver Box version?

Trying to decide to buy or not to buy.

I've read the various online opinions on this album and decided to do my own shootout between:
    - Dell box set version
    - MFSL Silver Box version
    - MFSL SACD

This is the first time I have listened to these mono LPs since getting a dedicated mono cartridge for a 2nd tonearm.

To my surprise, the MFSL Silver Box easily best the other 2. More balance, vocals are smoother, better bass content and definition. I don't usually like to compare LPs with CD/SACD's but in this case the MFSL SACD got rave reviews so I included it.

This is one FS Capitol release where i don't have an original pressing so could not include it. But the MFSL Silver Box version sounds quite good to me anyway.

21. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

The very fact that the UMe uses the proper dry tapes is worth the price of admission. The Silver Box and Dell copies are both very, very good. But this one seals the deal for me as did the UMe SFSL.

MLutthans likes this.
  22. MLutthans

^^^^^^Yup.

Regarding "wet tapes" (reverb added) in the MFSL Silver Box version from 1983, here's an old post:
    I think that 1983 pressing is pretty good, but the new release is made from the correct tapes (or, more likely -- but I can't say with 100% certainty -- digital copies thereof).

That 1984 UK Dell LP is such an oddball, as it's tonally very different from other releases in that series, and sounds to me very similar to an original-release pressing. I'd love to know the story on that one.

23. teag

teag Forum Resident

Interesting, and I agree the MFSL silver LP really is not very "wet" at all. To me its hardly noticeable. This is one sweet sounding record. Also all analog and to me that means something, although I do agree the recently released LPs from digital have improved quite a bit. I still would rather they not go that way and spend the time to go all analog like MFSL did.

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

Understand. It would be interesting to see if you think it actually sounds better after comparing the 2.

25. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I held off till Sunday, but when I saw A Swingin' Affair! still in the racks in Norwood, I pounced on it! Sorry!

Bob F likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.