Small Faces "Autumn Stone" Box Set Coming (Soon?)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Oct 24, 2017.

1. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You've never heard of The Doors? ;)

2. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Still at least there's tons of good quality live stuff (not so with the Small Faces) and they did have more albums :)

D.B., Tristero and GuyDon like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

They did?:cheers:

4. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

Was going to post exactly the same thing :)

GuyDon likes this.
  5. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Doors had 6 albums with the original lineup..I only count 3 with the Small Faces as far as original albums and not posthumous compilations.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  6. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Agreed. The Doors have six great albums, give or take, and lots of interesting live performances. The Small Faces have three or four, plus a lot of additional singles, b-sides and outtakes, but no significant live material outside of the BBC sessions. The Small Faces catalog has been rehashed to death, re-releasing the same (great) songs again and again, tossing in the occasional rarities or alternate mixes in here and there to sweeten the pot. The early indications with this new Autumn Stone set are not too promising. They seem intent on milking the fans to the last drop.
    Four if you count From the Beginning, which is a worthy enough release despite it's illegitimate provenance.

Hep Alien and peachyg72 like this.
  7. Dok

Dok Senior Member

I can see how the fan would see it that way but the remaining band members probably don't. They didn't see any royalties until the last few years right?

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm not even pointing the finger at the band but rather the exploitative manner in which their relatively slim catalog has been rehashed by the various parties over the years.

peachyg72 likes this.
  9. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

Apparently it's all of his solo albums (including the two albums he made with Ron Wood and Pete Townshend), plus some new rarities and some live stuff. By my reckoning that'll probably come to around 8-10 CDs if they're also including things like the BBC sessions and Rockpalast CDs that came out around the turn of last century. It'll be nice to have everything together in one box, but the clincher for me is how much rare/live material there's going to be (I'd like to hear the whole of that Victoria Palace live show they plucked 'Stone' and Ronnie's cover of 'Sweet Virginia' from for a compilation, for starters). The box doesn't even have a title yet though, so if it does come out in 2018 I'd think it'll be more likely towards the end of the year.

I was thinking that 3 LPs doesn't tally with 3 CDs myself, but Rob Caiger was still touting the CD version as being 3 (or even 4) discs only a few weeks ago. Typically of course, the paragraph that might confirm it one way or the other for us is the one bit of the article that we can't see.

10. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Looking forward to this one!

noahjld likes this.
  11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Or Sex Pistols.....

Surferghost likes this.
  12. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I love Ronnie, and will probably get his box. I have all of his albums (including Mahoney's and the DualDisc of Rough Mix), but the sound quality leaves a good bit to be desired (barring the 5.1 of Rough Mix, of course), so if they can improve upon them, that'd be something.

I just thought about it and with the Autumn Stone Deluxe, the rumored 50th Anniversary Edition of The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society and now this Ronnie Lane box, 2018 is going to be music purchases with a vengeance!

Surferghost, noahjld and Hep Alien like this.
  13. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

The expensive (but sadly imaginary, unless I've missed something) cherry on top would probably be a fifty-first anniversary Super deluxe of The Who Sell Out incorporating Live At The Fillmore 68 (with complete and unedited version of 'Relax')...

14. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

It should be released on April 1st.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Nah, asap.

Mark Wilson and Hep Alien like this.
  16. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

As cool as that would be, 4/1 is a Sunday. I don't know if any music has been released on a Sunday before...

17. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

True - I was just riffing on Ronnie's Birthday.

18. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Really,really looking forward to Autumn Stone and Ogdens'. Wonder if they've been in touch with Billy Nicholls..........

19. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I've ordered the latest Shindig and will share whatever info it has here

20. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  21. aoxomoxoa

Is this a vinyl only release? I am confused.

22. downer

downer Senior Member

I was just looking at how many Move discs I have yesterday... 13 plus a box set - without counting 'Message From The Country'

noahjld likes this.
  23. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Just been listening to CD2 of the boxset this afternoon, particularly the early sessions for Tin Soldier where they're still working out the song - so very very nice but I can't help thinking that it's a shame that it doesn't look like we'll be getting anything similar on the new Autumn Stone

24. aoxomoxoa

Mark Wilson likes this.
  25. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

Six, if you count "Playmates" and "78 in the Shade", and you should.. there are some decent tracks there (inamongst the awful , tbf)