“The Lion King” (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Tweet from Jon Favreau.

This is the only real shot in The Lion King. There are 1490 rendered shots created by animators and CG artists. I slipped in one single shot that we actually photographed in Africa to see if anyone would notice. It is the first shot of the movie that begins The Circle of Life.

[​IMG]

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

SandAndGlass and sberger like this.
  3. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

aficionaudio and Rhett like this.
  4. Well...I took the Mrs & the Kidz to see it yesterday. Visually it is certainly a triumph, but emotionally it just didn't connect with me. I figure it's because photo-realisticism prevents the conveyance of emotion that seems so easy for hand-drawn characters to transmit, ya dig? To wit: which set of these lions look happier?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Very interesting point. photo realistic lions wouldn't look very realistic if they were grinning or laughing.

There is probably a reason that young children love to watch animated cartoons instead of the live action flicks that the adults watch?

Old Rusty and brownie61 like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No one's asking you to. I'm just reporting the facts. I'm surprised the film did this well, because the negative reviews were pretty bad. But it's not a terrible film... just not a very good one. Technically, it's superb: the mix, color, and VFX are first-rate, world-class work.

SandAndGlass and jlocke08 like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The family is dragging me to this tomorrow. I tried to tell them we already own it. I'd rather see Spiderman or Tarantino but that's not family friendly, I reckon.

aficionaudio likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I saw it today and enjoyed it.

And I had no problem with connecting emotinally with it or the animals.

This is one where people should probably go and take off the critics cap before sitting down.

helter, Vidiot and SandAndGlass like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, that's not much of a test. Scenery, especially at dusk, is not something that would stretch photorealism. If they'd included a shot of actual lions cavorting in daylight, then that might have proved to be bigger challenge.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Saw it. It was fine. Didnt really need this but it was well made. If I had a small criticism it was that a couple of the voice actors were underwhelming for me. Not naming names.

My mother in law was impressed by the "animatronics". I didnt know we saw "Chuck E Cheese: The Movie" but kept it to myself.

11. Stefanie M Lesser

Stefanie M Lesser Forum Resident

I want to see this one so bad and mulan when that one comes out...

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I saw lots and lots of cavorting photorealistic CGI lions in daylight in the screening of Lion King I saw last week. Looked fine to me.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

My mom said that the new Lion King movie did not get great reviews at all.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Sure, but the stated purpose of inserting a real scene was to see if anyone could tell the difference, given how good the CGI is. My point was that if that really was the goal, then they should have included a more challenging scene, like real lions in action intercut with CGI lions, which would provide a more back-to-back comparison (and thus any differences would have been more readily apparent).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

The reviews have been mediocre - it's at 52% on RT.

It gets praise for the technical side but dinged for being so close to the original and lacking much emotion...

16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

The being "so close to the original" is something that sometimes you are damned if you do and damned it you don't.

When I saw Beauty and the Beast a couple of years back, I thought that it was particularly excellent and it was practically a shot-for-shot remake of the original.

Dumbo was the opposite, being almost completely different than the original. While I enjoyed it for this reason, it clearly did not go over with the animated Dumbo fans.

Have't seen Lion King yet, but I can see where the emotion that animation can put into a movie through animation, would work better for younger children (and some adults), than a photorealistic movie might be.

Going back to Beauty and the Beast, it was kind of a perfect movie to be done this way. A real live Beauty and an animated Beast along with high quality, almost real looking animated dishes and other animated housewares.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, that's not the whole story:

[​IMG]

Plus it's made a billion bucks, so there is that. I would be right between the critics and the audience on this one and give it about a 70... maybe even a 75. But that's only "good"... not very good, certainly not great.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Oatsdad

Actually, what I said was the whole story in terms of an overview from critics.

Yes, audiences liked it more.

Yes, it's made a lot of money.

But as I said, critics gave it mediocre reviews.

Seems odd that you attempted to contradict what I said by posting exactly what I said! :wtf:

FACE OF BOE and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I bet if I tried, I could find critics giving it good (better than mediocre) reviews. Three stars from the guy on RogerEbert.com ...

The Lion King Movie Review & Film Summary (2019) | Roger Ebert

That's actually a more-positive review than I would give it. My point was that you have to quote the Rotten Tomatoes scores in context. At least with Metacritic, they averaged it at a 55, which is lower than I'd give it. This is a subjective area.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, that in a nutshell pretty much shows what’s totally wrong with the new one. And yet many of us went to see it. My prediction: once fooled, twice shy. Let’s see if they “get away” with it again. I won’t see another. I don’t think further successes with this stuff is a given. Had I seen these sets of photos before going, I doubt I would have. It’s amazing what a picture can do! Brilliant post.

MikaelaArsenault and brownie61 like this.
  21. Oatsdad

:rolleyes:

Of course you can find some critics who loved it. You can also find some who loathed it. I never claimed each and every review said it was meh.

Point remains that overall, it's gotten mediocre reviews. The Metacritic rating is nearly the same as RT's: mediocre.

So that's the consensus opinion. Not sure why you seem to want to argue otherwise...

FACE OF BOE and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  22. helter

helter Forum Resident

Yup

23. helter

helter Forum Resident

The audience rating is the most accurate imo
    Critic ratings don’t mean much to me, it’s what the audience thinks that counts

MikaelaArsenault and sberger like this.
  24. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

I think we saw the original.

Saw this at a drive-in last night in a double-bill with Spider-man.
    This movie was much better. Visually striking, I can see how the
    lack of facial emotion would turn off some viewers but it didn't
    bother us. The initial shot of the baboon holding up Simba was
    adorable. The landscape photography is stunning, as in a
    Natty Geo or David Attenborough picture. Seeing this under a
    canopy of stars was a nice treat.

25. Gill-man

Gill-man Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.