Warped records-new and old- thread.*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johan Bos, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, recently I bought Tubular Bells part 3 by Mike Oldfield on vinyl. Sound quality is good and it plays fine. But it has warping. I'm wondering if it is heavy warping or just small warping? Do you think this warping is acceptable? I've made a short video of the record playing in my turntable:

Tubular Bells 3 vinyl warp

2. That’s right on the verge of being too much. Was it described as warped (assuming it was used)? Or was it bought new/sealed?

3. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

People's opinions tend to vary on this, but that one would be too warped for my liking. Even if the LP is still technically playable, I don't like putting my cartridge's suspension through that kind of workout. I would return it, if possible.

4. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

5. Lucca90

Lucca90 Forum Resident

Acceptable IMO.

6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Assuming it was inaudible I would keep it. But that's definitely a warp I would be cognizant of.

A few months tightly packed on my shelf would probably fix it somewhat.

zombiemodernist and dbsea like this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

You need to put "acceptable" into context. Did you buy the album at Goodwill for 0.99 cents? Did you pay top dollar and was sold on it being VG++ or better? Is it a new 180g LP???

The context has a bearing on my personal answer for sure.

RONENRAY, Kyhl, Shawn and 1 other person like this.
  8. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

If you bought it new seems bad enough, if practical to return I would. If second hand it should have been described. Bad for the cartridge, the arm and probably if you pay enough attention you will hear the cartridge climbing the groove. I have several new ones which I kept because return postage overseas makes it uneconomical.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO warped record is acceptable to me...I was extremely fussy when I collected vinyl...the warp will not get better and will always drive you nuts. : )

10. Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Zooropa... better by design

That warp is severe in my eyes and unacceptable.

Fishoutofwater, ls35a and Vinny123 like this.
  11. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

I would not consider that warp acceptable if record is new, or VG++ or better used. I am fortunate that those kinds of warps are mostly a non-issue since I use a 1500 gr. outer limit ring on my turnable.

12. Day_Tripper2019

Day_Tripper2019 Forum Resident

Like others have mentioned, it depends where you bought it from and how much you paid for it.

The real crime here is the bad music. Pick up an ORM Milestones record and enjoy.

13. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

If new, unacceptable. Yes it's playable, but why put your cartridge through that? I would return it unless that is the only new copy you could turn up. Then depending on how much I had to have the record, I still might return it.

If used, I would return it unless it was the only copy I had been able to find or I paid $0.99 or so for it.

I would also take into consideration how the seller rated it. If new and the seller swapped it out for a fresh copy fine. If used and depending on how the seller originally rated it and how they dealt with you trying to return it, I would possibly post comments/ratings telling others of your experience. I would also base future buying decisions on the sellers actions.

Big Blue likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

You make a lot of threads on this type of stuff. Wouldnt it be better to make one just regarding faulty new products and keep that alive.

Its a warp, it doesnt affect sound it seems. If you think its too disturbing then it is, others will think differently, you will get no correct answer.

15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

All records are warped by the way.

16. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

That is unacceptable for all but the rarest albums--if you cannot get that particular music in any other way, then maybe the album is a keeper, but otherwise, it is not worth playing an album that will stress the cantilever/suspension of the cartridge the way this one does. Certainly "Tubular Bells" is not such a candidate. If I put my cartridge through such a terrifying experience, it would need an "Exorcist."

RONENRAY and Big Blue like this.
  17. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

To warped for me.

For starters, your VTA is constantly changing, secondly the record is not coupled to the platter and will resonate differently at air gaps and touch points.

Now inevitably we will all have records like this that are new and can't be returned, happen sitting in our collection or bought used. Hardly any records are flat really so it's best to have a record clamp that will flatten and couple all records equally to the platter.

Big Blue likes this.
  18. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I'd advise getting a replacement LP if it's brand new.

Otherwise, I'd ask your local shops if they offer any vinyl flattening services.

19. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I had a Doobie Brothers "Stampede" lp playing on a Dual that was much worse than what your showing and everything was fine. Then I clicked off the low rumble filter about 3 months later and I immediately replaced the album. The 30 hz signal that the warp caused was troubling. Be safe and help your cartridge work alittle less. The speakers will love you more also. John.

20. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

Yeah, warps that bad go back, on my watch, unless it was cheap and/or is collectible enough to keep in such poor condition. I’d at least be flattening that out with a Michell-type clamp during play, though.

patient_ot likes this.
  21. Josquin des Prez

Unfortunately, TT clamps alone only help with one side – the convex side to push down in the center. The other side requires using a outer ring.

22. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

I see a Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch in your future...

TLMusic, nosliw and Kyhl like this.
  23. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I’ve found the Michell-style clamps that use a washer under the label can do a decent job with the concave side if it’s not too horrible, but the one in the video here may even be too much. Outer ring is still ideal either way, so of course you are right on that.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

LOL...yea.

25. Josquin des Prez

All who play records are somewhat warped.

Meddle_Guy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.