What if the Beatles had recorded in America in 1966

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark Fricke, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's well known that the Beatles were slated to fly to America and record an album at Stax Recording studio. They desperately wanted to reproduce that American sound they revered. It fell apart for several reasons including security and money.

But what if it did happen?

Would their next album be more roots based instead of the Revolver album? Songs like Tomorrow Never Knows couldn't have been developed outside of the Abbey Road personnel.

Would a diversion from the London drug culture prevent it's influences? Maybe no Sgt. Pepper?

What kind of band might have evolved from such an effort?

DK Pete likes this.
  2. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Would have made things easier on Bernard Purdie... ;)

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

American Album sounding ?
    R u b b e r S o u l

4. Mark Fricke

Mark Fricke Forum Resident Thread Starter

Rubber Soul was already done when the Stax recording was scheduled.

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Tomorrow Never Knows with the Memphis Horns, featuring Booker T on Hammond B3!

mark winstanley and Rooster_Ties like this.
  6. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

You wonder also what they might have done had they recorded at Atlantic's studio with their 8 track equipment.

7. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I love questions like this. The only way I can answer say is to repeat what I've said many times in the past...The Beatles' "story" seems to define the expression, "there's a reason for everything". It almost truly seems as if the whole thing was divinely planned out. As you clearly implied, the music and developments that came with Revolver and what immediately followed may not have happened had the album been recorded at Stax. OR, maybe the styles and specific progressions of Revolver might have come an album later...thus causing Pepper to come out in '68...?? No..doesn't sound right. While it's incredibly interesting to speculate what their 7th album would have sounded like if recorded at Stax, I'm tempted to say it's just as well (that there was "a reason")it didn't happen. Cliche to say but, it seems that things turned out for the best.

musicfan37 likes this.
  8. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

Based on the Stones American recordings, we might have gotten to hear the Fabs with ballsy production. Oh well...

9. zen

zen Senior Member

The Candlestick Park recording?

10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Maybe they would've dropped in long enough to record just a few songs, like the Stones later did in Muscle Shoals, and maybe something like "Doctor Robert," "Got to Get You into My Life," or "Good Day Sunshine" would've been a little more funky, or maybe it would've made little difference. Then, they still could've gone back home to work on the more psychedelic tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.