2018 'American Idol' Reboot

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Gonna be tough to recapture the magic of the original show’s early years — the ones that brought us Kelly Clarkson, Jennifer Hudson and Carrie Underwood. I wish them luck, though.

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Ugggh....just let it die already.

4. mace

mace Forum Resident

If there is a penny to wring from that rotting carcass, Ryan Seacrest will find it.

5. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

The early years of American Idol were fun. The early audition rounds some some impressively good and some impressively bad singers was enjoyable. The top 12 was perversely enjoyable due to the randomness of some of the eliminations, and producers really knew how to mix things up in terms of delivering results to keep things unpredictable. As the seasons wore on, however, the show tried to take itself too seriously even though it generally didn't feature contestants that most people would want to hear once the season ended. All the fun was taken away. Even though The Voice has yet to actually produce an extremely successful artist, at least the back stage work between the coaches and contestants is interesting and the show has managed to attract some good talent. For that reason, The Voice ended up being the singing contest show to watch while Idol just seemed dated and boring. I don't have much hope for this reboot unless they figure out how to do something different than they did during the last few seasons the show was on the air. Harry Connick Jr undoubtedly was able to give constructive feedback to contestants, but because of the show's format he was limited to a sentence or two per person per week. It was all just so unrewarding. And it was much more fun to watch Paula Abdul be loopy, anyway.

Jrr and Vidiot like this.
  6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Just not feeling it dawg.

7. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As long as people watch and ads are placed, it's a viable format isn't it? No one really gives a s**t about the singers. If they make a bit of money for the label it's sort of like a bonus. I wonder how the deals with labels works. No way their taking 100% of the risk on the winners or contestants.

8. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I prefer Katy with longer hair but I'll check it out.

9. shokhead

Yes, check them err her out!

10. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

They lost me when they announced "Katy Perry" ...

11. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

But didn't it only finish like a year or 2 ago?

audiomixer likes this.
  12. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not impressed...

goodiesguy and audiomixer like this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

american karaoke returns.....what a waste of TV time.

goodiesguy and audiomixer like this.
  14. shokhead

Only if it's a show you don't want to watch.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. Alan G.

Alan G. Forum Resident

I can't believe we used to actually vote on those early Idols. Then it just got ridiculous when each voter could vote a million times just so Ryan could say, "We got fifty-six billion votes last night; a record!" Time to have the on-show judges vote and be done with it.

16. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

They're still trying to keep this going?

17. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I enjoyed the first couple of seasons of AI, it was fun to see young folks with some talent get a shot in the music biz. I watched some of the early seasons of Survivor too but I got so burned out on all these singing and competition shows that I now avoid all of them. OK, I still watch Amazing Race but it's more for my interest in travel than seeing who's going to win. Note: I'm somewhere between 15-30 years out of the desired demo. What I think doesn't matter to the marketing world. :)

Texastoyz likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Just keep the original.

19. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we can only hope that no one will watch and it will be done after one shot.

and while we are there i will ask:

what is ryan seacrist' talent? i'm serious, how did he get where he is?

21. shokhead

I hope it's good and something worth watching.

22. saturdayboy

saturdayboy Forum Resident

I don’t see any reason why this show can’t be good again, they just need to take it back to it’s roots: a good old fashioned talent show - not a career booster for judge/performers.
    People can hate on Idol all they want, but that show has produced more successful artist and hits than the rest of the shows combined.

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

To this day, I still say, "yo, a little pitchy, dawg" when I hear bad singing.

24. lv70smusic

lv70smusic Senior Member

I think Ryan Seacrest did a good job hosting Idol. He looked good and spoke clearly without getting tongue tied. He also was able to play the role of being supportive to contestants as they were being harshly critiqued, put in a position of possible elimination, or actually being sent home, having their dreams crushed. What was Ryan supposed to be able to do as host of Idol that he did not do well?

Jrr likes this.
  25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

you completely ignored my question, completely.

what is ryan seacrist's talent? how in god's name did he get where he is? inquiring minds really want to know.

mace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.