Batman: Return to the Batcave on CBS Tonight!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RDK, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Thanks for the post, I almost forgot. Looks like I will have to CAMP out in front of the TV. Just once, I want Robin to say Holy Sh!t Batman!

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

The Better Half is watching it now!

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

..... and she say's it's a good movie. Adam West finally has another paycheque....

5. RDK

RDK Active Member Thread Starter

So, did anyone else catch this last night?

My wife thought it boring from the get-go, but I found it fun and entertaining - though at the same time I know that it really wasn't very good. You can see how they tailored the story to feature Adam West and Burt Ward even as the story was suppoosed to be a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the old TV show. Structurally and dramatically the movie was a mess, but it did work as goofy nostalgia. I probably would have preferred if they focused more on the past and less on the "current" Adam and Burt, but it's terribly hard to do a TV Batman without them.

I dug the fact that the movie theater used in the film was the Vista, which is only a few blocks from my home. I wish i knew that they were shooting there last summer as I would have played hooky from work and checked it out. The restaurant (Mexico City) that Adam and Burt ate at is also in my neighborhood, though I think they shot the interiors elsewhere.

I enjoyed it, but you can see why CBS waited until after sweeps to air this one... ;)

Ray

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Best line:

"Holy Screen Actor's Guild!"

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Excellent! As wretchedly bad and enjoyable as I could have hoped for!:D :thumbsup:

Lousy acting, campy dialogue, the same old oddball camera angles, some funny(though I'm not sure entirely true)vignettes And Julie Newmar! Frank Gorshin!(wished they could have talked the other two Catwomen into appearing--darn). A nice waste of two hours; I taped the east coast feed(was out with the GF most of yesterday)watched the left coast feed at midnight; a real hoot!

And how about Batman and that 'cop a feel' deal with Batgirl?!?:laugh:

The noive...and you can get away with that in 2003! And why not...

ED:cool:

8. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

Yes, the show was wretchedly awful and lame, but still, engaging.

Random comments:

It was interesting to see Lyle Wagoner's screen test. I never recognized that he was doing the voice-overs.

Burt Ward should never try to act ever again!

In the scene in the theatre, when Burt Ward was eating the popcorn ("with real butter!"), I was hoping Adam West would make a joke about his weight.

I thought it was funny how the actor playing Batman was far more "buff" and "attractive" than Adam West was. He didn't look or sound anything like Adam West, but the guy playing Burt Ward was excellent.

Poor old Frank Gorshin, he has REALLY aged.

I thought I saw one of the other "cat womans" in the show also. Wasn't she the waitress??

I notice the credits listed Dawn Wells (Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island) as a producer or something. The Gilligan's Island reunion thing last year was MUCH MUCH better.

9. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Yep, the waitress with the pernmanent marker autograph on her "ahem" was Lee Merriweather - didn't see Eartha Kitt anywhere... Julie Newmar - set the WABAC machine for hubba-hubba mode - she was the purrrrrrrrrrrrrfect Catwoman!!!

10. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I must admit I bailed out of the Batman special after the first 20 mins. Just wasn't doing it for me.

Switched over to "Junkyard Wars" on TLC instead. Three teams building airplanes, using only tools that were available to the Wright Bros. I'm hooked on this show!

11. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

After watching Six Feet Under/HBO and then Queer As Folk/ Showtime, i did catch the final 10 minutes of Batman.

It seemed to have the right tongue in cheek attitude. I know I wouldn't be able to sit through it for more than that though.

Doesn't Robin look like an English butler these days.

12. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

After hear Adam West moan and complain about not being asked to be in the Batman Movie (Michael Keaton), I vowed to not watch anything else of his. I hate it when stars complain and whine and moan and bitch. He'd been on the comic book circuit singing autographs at KOA campgrounds and he thought he was ready for the highest grossing debut weekend in movie history (at that time).... simply ridiculous...

13. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Yeah, but Adam West is such a ham, you gotta love him! The special, though, was not that great. The recreation of them making the series back then was far better than the modern day subplot with Adam and Burt. I had heard Burt gained a lot of weight, but he didn't look too bad. Julie Newmar has aged well, but it's depressing because she was SO HOT back then!:love:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.