Box sets that didn't disappoint

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by redeemer, Dec 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Dylan Complete Volume 1 and a whole bunch of classical boxed sets.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Mainline461 and HominyRhodes like this.
  3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Very nice presentation, That Jazz Box:cheers:

4. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Iron Maiden "Eddie's Archive"
    Tori Amos "A Piano: The Collection"
    Simon & Garfunkel "Old Friends"
    Cannibal Corpse "15 Year Killing Spree"

5. BJRed

BJRed Well-Known Member

Beatles - Mono box
    Rammstein - XXI
    Slayer - The Vinyl Conflict
    Pearl Jam - Ten & Vs/Vitalogy Box Sets

6. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

The Complete On The Corner and Complete Cellar Door sets are my favorites in the series, closely followed by the In a Silent Way box.

Iroyman, subtr and Daedalus like this.
  7. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I wasn't stirring anything, you should have said specifically which box you were referring to as several other members on this thread also assumed you were talking about the cd box set.

8. J Vanarsdale

J Vanarsdale Forum Resident

All LP boxes:
    Bob Dylan - Ten of Swords
    Led Zeppelin - Trademark of Quality Years
    13th Floor Elevators - Music of the Spheres
    WITCH - We Intend to Cause Havoc
    Flaming Lips - Heady Nuggs
    Frank Zappa - Beat the Boots Vol.1 and 2

lightbulb likes this.
  9. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

$700 (limited to 6500 sets, which have been sold out)

One month's mortgage payment from my wife's perspective, and "only $9 per CD!" from mine. :winkgrin:

Can you imagine an official Beatles box with 30 unreleased live shows (limited to 6500, no less)? Grown men would swoon and weep. Some would "flatline" on the spot. Children would be put up for sale. The Hoffman servers would immediately BSOD. Etcetera.
    I myself would get some :-popcorn:and marvel at the unprecedented carnage.

10. zappinnati

zappinnati Forum Resident

These certainly did not disappoint me!

Kraftwerk - Der Katalog
    The Beatles In Mono
    Johnny Cash - The Complete Columbia Album Collection
    Waylon Jennings - The Journey: Six Strings Away and Destiny's Child

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

For a more recent release it has to be this one for me. No guitar case version though. :)
    [​IMG]

12. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

It is quite impressive to behold. The best part, though, is not the effort put into the container and ancillary bits but rather the music. Grateful Dead, Rhino, Mockingbird Mastering (Jeffrey Norman), Airshow Mastering (David Glasser), and Plangent Processes (Jamie Howarth) absolutely do not F*** around when it comes to coaxing incredible sonics from the R2R and PCM masters (you can only do so much with some of the cassette masters from the 80's, but they still sound damn good).

No real surprise as the Grateful Dead have been revolutionizing the business (and pleasure) of sound production/reproduction to "State-of-the-Art" levels since the 60's.

13. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"This Is Your Captain Speaking"- Hawkwind
    [​IMG]

14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

15. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

West Coast Seattle Boy.

16. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I agree with the post above, "Can You Follow?" Jack Bruce

Matthew Tate and Tom34772 like this.
  17. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

"Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack".

[​IMG]

18. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I'm so glad that my college roommate had the money to buy this, a couple of weeks after he decided that he was a serious Dylan fan. I taped it and listened to it for years until the official "bootleg" series started coming out.

lightbulb, RandyP and J Vanarsdale like this.
  19. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

Did not disappoint in the least. One of their best (and most unheralded) live releases.

Matthew Tate, SquaRoots and Larry Mc like this.
  20. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Since The Beatles - Mono box is the only one I have then it didn't disappoint.:winkgrin:

Scope J likes this.
  21. ELO's Flashback 3CD set from 2000 certainly didn't disappoint me, as it contained four outtakes from my favourite album - Secret Messages -that weren't just previously unreleased, but I didn't even know existed until they showed up on this release! Also, there are several other songs with count-ins never heard before, plus Hold On Tight has an exclusive brief instrumental opening section that was edited out of the original mix due to a slight overdubbing error unable to be corrected.

The previous Afterglow box remains similarly valuable due to it featuring three cuts from Secret Messages before this was reduced down to a single album, with the 2LP version of Four Little Diamonds never appearing anywhere else. Furthermore, it's the only place you can find other leftovers from this album such as Mandalay and Buildings Have Eyes, the latter making its digital debut after being used as a single b-side, not to mention the Balance Of Power casualty, A Matter Of Fact, which Jeff Lynne voted off that album's later remastered edition because he supposedly no longer feels it's representative of his songwriting abilities.

However, the real justification to keep the Afterglow retrospective around (despite its occasionally poor mastering, a lot of the earlier material having its channels switched and two '80s era rarities having their first few samples clipped off) is because you can't get Hello My Old Friend anywhere else. I'll even forgive the compilers for fading in the first chord and doing the same at the end of this little-known masterpiece, since they left a faint trace of the originally intended tag that makes it easy for hardcore fans such as myself to recreate this portion, which I've recently done.

P.S. For a single way to get almost all of ELO's original catalogue remastered with bonus tracks, the Classic Albums Collection is a great deal, too...

22. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

Rhino & GDP have this act down cold...

[​IMG] The Paradigm: 30 Trips

[​IMG] Crown Jewel

[​IMG] Best run from the best year?

[​IMG] Did they just box a top 5, 10, and 15 show (out of 2300+) in a single release?

23. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

24. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

I'm proud to own and play these:

Popular Electronics - Early Dutch Electronic Music From Philips Research Laboratories 1956 - 1963 featuring far out space-age sonic creations by the likes of Dick Raaijmakers, Henk Badings, and Tom Disevelt.

The complete tape music of Dick Raaijmakers. Another far out box set of avante-garde psychoacoustic stimuli. Truly an acquired taste, I love to play these recordings as I sleep. Because the recordings boast very wide audio dynamic range, the volume can be adjusted such that quiet passages are barely audible while the louder ones are clearly heard. The very quiet passages allow me to fall to sleep, while the more audible ones induce the most vivid and stimulating nightmares! Yes, I actually enjoy this.

Electric Light Show - An Assortment Of Antiquities For The Psychedelic Connoisseur

Tiny Tim - The Complete Reprise Studio Masters And More

25. Sandy Denny - great boxset

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.