Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #49)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Aug 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sure, I edited my post above and have asked the Gorts to remove all appearances of that link from this thread.

2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Radical Anglophobes, probably. ;)

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This will probably take you half a day. I will quit McAfee after the current subscription expires. With an Intel Core 2 Quad processor (running XP SP3), which is quite speedy, the bloatware still takes some 10 hours to do a full scan ... :yikes:

4. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

5. coopmv

Now playing CD4 - works of Chopin from the following set for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

This Sonata No. 2 was so well played ... :righton:

7. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 116-119.

Bold and poetic playing here from Rudy. The recorded sound is nice too.

8. coopmv

Isn't he well-known for his Rashy as well?

9. George P

For his Rachmaninoff, yes. He should be well known for his Brahms as well.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

just listened to a fine performance of Schubert's 'Trout' Quintet by members of the Budapest Quartet with Mieczyslaw Horszowski & Julius Levine.
    issued by Columbia in 1963.i listened to it on a CBS cassette from 1983 which i bought recently for 10 cents.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  11. john greenwood

Not a big deal. I let it run overnight.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yup--sourced from records turning at 78 RPM, the way God intended! ;)

scompton and George P like this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

By the way, Tully Potter wrote a two-volume biography of Busch a couple or three years back that has received extremely good reviews. A knowledgeable friend was much impressed with it; I've browsed some bits and pieces via "look inside" on Amazon, and at least as to those I agree. Alas, the thing is pretty pricey, but it might be available at your local library, which is how my friend read it. Further alas, one of my pianistic heroes, Friedrich Wuhrer, comes off rather poorly in terms of his wartime associations. (Which doesn't mean I'll give up on him; as I've noted in connection with That Man K, my ultimate gauge in how I react to Nazi sympathies or other personal flaws is musical results--are they good enough that I can overlook dubious associations? Wuhrer, like Gieseking and Cortot and Mengelberg, has frequently delivered for me. Karajan never has. So there you go. But I digress.)

For those who might be interested, here's a link to Potter's book on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Adolf-Busch-H...6151852&sr=8-1&keywords=busch+honest+musician

RiRiIII likes this.
  14. John S

John S Forum Resident

One phrase I can relate to in the first pages of the Busch biography: "...of peasant stock." :pleased:

15. coopmv

The irony is, my turntables play 78 RPM but I do not have any 78 RPM records ...

16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

another nice performance on a 10-cent cassette-Dvorak's Piano Quintet,Op. 81.performed by the Cleveland Quartet & Emmanuel Ax,issued by RCA in 1977.
    i couldn't find a CD issue for this listed.sounds like the melody for 'Nature Boy' was lifted
    from this Quintet's 2nd movement.

17. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Just as well. You wouldn't want to play 78s with a cartridge made for modern LPs

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, not with a stylus for LPs. Equipped with a suitable stylus/cantilever combination, modern LP cartridges, as long as you don't insist on a moving coil design, give astonishingly good results with 78s. Stanton was the de facto standard for years but is now out of production, and I don't know who's taking its place. Never really warmed to the Stanton sound anyhow; for my part, I use Shure V15V-xMR carts (in separate headshells) fitted with a small set of custom-sized styli truncated ellipticals from Expert Stylus. Stock 78 assemblies are available for Grado and at least some Ortofon. I've never used the latter, although my friend whom I mentioned in connection with the Busch bio had one for a while and didn't like it too much. I have used Grado carts with 78s, and I liked the sound, but the Grado design is too intolerant of warped records spinning at high speed to merit a first choice from me. That said, KAB (I think it is) sells kits of Grado carts fitted with various sized styli, essentially what I've done with my Shures but with a bit of a volume discount and without the hassle of sending the cantilever assemblies off to England yourself for retipping. That said, the kit styli, like all stock "78" styli that you'll find these days, are conicals, and truncated ellipticals in my experience nearly always give better results. Shure used to sell an elliptical stock assembly for the V15-III that was really ideal, as it incorporated an extra weight in the housing to add tracking force without resetting the tonearm's counterweight. Too bad that design fell by the wayside.

Actually, there are a few 78s that play with purely LP equipment: a company in Virginia devoted to traditional jazz and ragtime has released a few stereo vinyl microgroove 78s. The sleeves carry a cautionary note not to play them on old wind-up phonos. They are nice sounding records!

John S and sgb like this.
  19. coopmv

Cartridges for 78RPM are still available but I have no plan to get any ...

20. coopmv

Just out of curiosity, is it just a matter of replacing the stylus while the cartridge itself can stay?

21. coopmv

On the Busch records, have they been reconstructed/remastered by either MOT or Ward Marston? I only have faith in either of these guys ...

22. coopmv

It is amazing a new Glenn Gould: The Complete Original Jacket Collection now has an asking price of $1450 on Amazon. I bought mine in late 2007 for $109 with shipping. As usual, the set has been listened to only once ... :yikes:

23. George P

I wish.

24. john greenwood

MOG has a number of recordings of the Busch Quartet playing Beethoven on various labels. Not sure if one can assemble the complete cycle.
    What label are you listening to?

25. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I wish those folks on Amazon would be a bit more realistic about these asking prices for OOP recordings. It seems that even though the Mercury Living Presence box sets have returned many items to in-print status, some prices being asked are just not realistic — on far more items than one can imagine.

I'll admit that once about 10 years ago, a discussion with a friend about Hanson's Composer and his Orchestra led me to list my copy for the absurd price of $1000 (one thousand US dollars) on Amazon as a joke between him and me. I really had no intention of selling it, and I thought to myself, that no one in his right mind would even think about buying my CD set. The 2-CD set sold within just a few minutes of being listed. I was incredulous to this!

The irony is, of course, that within just a few months, a new 4-CD Howard Hanson box set was introduced that included not only The Composer and his Orchestra, but his two symphonies as well. My repurchase price was $20, and I then had extra copies of the symphonies that I sold on Amazon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.