CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

I never got mine. Also never got a second response from them. It was part of the sales pitch. I've about had it with Rhino's BS.

Anthrax likes this.
  2. 45 RPM Audiophile

45 RPM Audiophile Forum Resident

No i Said That the Classic is better the Bellman cut is also really good

Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
  3. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

It’s not the mix… This actually allows you to hear what he’s playing and it is not good. If anything Neil is a piano player but the piano and organ are two different beasts- he’s trying to play piano playing on an organ. He just doesn’t cut it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

It definitely is partly the mix. Sure, Neil wasn't a true organist but the pad part he's playing would've fine in context.

lp_zep and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and sorry to say, rhino could care less how you feel, i contacted them quite a few times about this set, to no avail, i kept getting the standard we'll send it on reply.

but i don't think deja vu 50 could have possibly been any more ****ed up than it is, in so many way too.

Alan57 and boboquisp like this.
  6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

No? It could have been unenjoyable.

No credits or recording details, key NY tracks missing, no compact CD/BR edition to match the other archival releases, and, oh, no long-promised extended remixes - this is certainly a flawed release.

Flawed and yet immensely enjoyable!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
    Woodville, milankey, adamos and 4 others like this.
  7. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

And yet, you bought it.

What did you do with the vinyl?

lukpac and ET3311 like this.
  8. Well that’s 2 of us that have contacted them with what I’m guessing are pretty identical complaints.Identical replies as well.
    Only ray of hope for people holding out is how quickly they broke up the Fleetwood Mac Live box.

I have always refused to buy these bastardised format boxes because vinyl is a frisbee to me and I don’t want to give them any encouragement to keep going down this route.However I REALLY wanted this and relented when I could get it for $US70 from JPC.
    I gave the vinyl away to a friend of mine who still plays records and I know has “worn out” his original copy in the last 50 years.

Gonzo-a-gogo likes this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

there is a very long story to my obtaining the deja vu 50 set. one i would rather not relate here.

as for the vinyl, it remains in the slot in the package that it came in.....maybe someday someone will make an offer for it, but i fear shipping it in a paper sleeve only would lend itself to being very easily damaged. :shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i guess that is definitely one way to look at it. it just could have/should have been so much more, just like the history of CSN(Y)

ARK and EricSwan like this.
  11. Simon

Simon Forum Resident

I don't think so. Daylight Again was a very strong album, 'Delta', 'Wasted on the Way', 'Southern Cross' and the title track are true classic CSN songs. Most of the other songs are really good. Croz had a solo album with songs that were candidate for 'Daylight Again'. They made a tour with great shows in support of this album.

Again, I for one, like Live it Up a lot. I'd like to hear live tracks from this one as they made a tour in support. Again 'Haven't We Lost Enough', 'Arrows ', 'House of Broken Dreams' are great.

stevef, Matthew Tate and Tom Daniels like this.
  12. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Oh, i agree totally, could have been so much more. A flawed archival release, deeply flawed. However, to keep it in perspective, i prefer to keep it positive, focusing on and enjoying what we got, calling out the missed opportunities and moving on - glass half-full, not throwing out baby w bathwater, etc.

sonofjim, adamos, Bruso and 3 others like this.
  13. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ve enjoyed this set so much on streaming that, after watching one of those unboxing videos, I also bit the bullet and ordered the 5-LP set. $250 for that is super pricy, and, from reading the language on Rhino’s website, I’m not even sure the 5-LP set is actually “limited” to 3,500 copies, it sounds like they reserve the right to press more unnumbered copies in the future, but this is a favorite album of mine, and, even without full participation from Neil, I have found the bonus material and outtakes here a lot more compelling than the bonus material and outtakes on a lot of box sets.

sonofjim, Gonzo-a-gogo and ronbow like this.
  14. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

With the stuff from Croz and Stills’ unreleased albums, Daylight Again could be a very interesting box that may cause a reappraisal. They had much more good stuff, that album was not assembled in the best way, because Crosby was forced on Stills/Nash by the record company and it was all a compromise.

Crosby’s ‘Distances’ is a great song that should have been on this album. ‘Drive My Car’ would have given the album a ‘Long Time Gone’ type Crosby rock song, and could have replaced one is Stills’ interchangeable, average rock songs. Stills had stuff on his shelved album that was better than a lot of this album. They had the material to make a CSN 77 level album.

15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree that after the boat album, the “missed opportunities” really started. Daylight Again and Looking Forward both could have been so much better if, as you note, they had perhaps assembled those albums better and made some different choices about which material to use.

16. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I received copy 2326 yesterday. It's a beautiful package. I like the jackets with the alternate photographs.

I own the Classic Records pressing, and I am pleased as punch to have this different (Bellman) mastering. It's a different, but equally rewarding, take on material that I love quite a bit.
    I was very disappointed that the recent After the Gold Rush 50th Anniversary edition used the old plates from the 2009 Box, so I ended up with identical sounding albums.

Looking forward to getting into the bonus material over the weekend.

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It was talked about here on the forum, that it is strictly a repackaging release.

GentleSenator and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

my guess is stills thought after Daylight Again he'd get a career boost and saved a lot of stuff from that solo album hoping to reuse it. by the time he was able to do something solo in 1984 he probably felt a lot of those tunes were out of step with the times and just moved on. not saying that's what happened but I wonder if that was his mindset

Simon likes this.
  19. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Early on they had such a huge inventory of material they could afford to make mistakes. The Deja Vu outtakes show this. Lee Shore. Laughing. Birds. So Begins the Task. There was remarkable material left unfinished. But back then they had enough other good stuff that they could still make a great album. Even if some of what was on Deja Vu was not as good as what was left off.

Later on, as you say, they often had better material than what they released. But the secondary material they DID release was not as strong as it was on Deja Vu. There were issues in the politics of this band that seemed to work against material being viewed objectively.

20. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention and just jumped at it when the price went down. I guess it's nice to have it outside of the box set, which is valuable now.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

what i would really love would be the announced, but never came to be, expanded boat album and expanded 'live it up'.. both of which were to follow on the heels of the expanded couch and 'daylight again'.

'chuck's lament', war games' and 'carry on' (without questions) all need to be on a US release someday. not even gonna talk about the CSN version of 'half your angels'......................:shrug:

22. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

…..well, you rather prove my point……those post-77 albums have three, maybe four good tracks…..

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Even going back to Deja Vu, the band struggled to make their best albums -- yes, Deja Vu is a classic, but there are a number of arguments in this thread that suggest it could have been improved. That said, I don't think Daylight Again is a missed opportunity -- perhaps it could have been stronger, but I think it is a very good CSN album, one the band never came close to matching again.

24. czyhorse75

czyhorse75 Forum Resident

I think After the Storm is a largely underrated album, but it seems each CSN project resulted in further diminished returns.

25. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed

MidnightRocks likes this.