SH Spotlight Do you want to hear two amazing RCA-Victor 78s from 1932? Ted Weems, Isham Jones..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

In 1929 the Radio Corporation Of America bought the Victor Talking Machine Company and became RCA-Victor. Even though the crash had killed record sales almost 85%, they still released records during the first years of the dark depression. Who was going to spend a dollar on a phonograph record when that same dollar could feed your family for a week? Nonetheless, people (in much reduced numbers) still bought records. These two have great quality, as do most Victors recorded in Camden, NJ at that time.

If you're in to Max Fleischer's BETTY BOOP you'll know the song:

Victor product from this period was the best in the world.

If you like the Marx Bros. you'll know this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufWoyMAS0w&feature=related

Of course, it ain't Duke Ellington but the sound quality kills me.

Jukebox operators complained that the ambient sound was too metallic (for their crappy sounding machines of the time) so the studios "damped" it right at the start of the Swing era in 1935. No more nice room echo, just a dry, curtained boxy room. Oh, well. That sound has a charm as well (the sound of the pre-war swing era records). Not hi-fi but still full and rich. That being said: These pre Swing records are just true Hi-Fi, complete with audiophile "room" and tons of dynamics. Note that these were fixed groove recordings, on beeswax.

These are not metal part transfers, they are from the consumer 78's pictured. It's a shame that just as Victor perfected that great sound, the depression was killing the music business.

These are both ONE MICROPHONE RECORDINGS recorded in the deconsecrated church in Camden, NJ. I have both of these records and they sound just like this on my vintage playback system.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Beech, norman_frappe and Curveboy like this.
  2. Zanth

Zanth Senior Member

Truly awesome. It really is too bad that the clarinet was ditched shortly after. I love me some solid clarinet and orchestra.

3. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

Surprisingly great sound. Sound quality has certainly had its ups and downs through the years!

4. CaptainOzone

CaptainOzone On Air Cowbell

Absolutely amazing in every way.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Fantastic!

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Anyone who says 78s are have inferior sonics should hear THESE puppies!

7. il pleut

il pleut New Member

yeah, the trinity church sound. i wonder if they had the mike closer to the band than previously. some of the earlier trinity things sound a little too cave-like, but these really do sound nice. was it one mike including the vocalist's, or did he get his own?

victor product of the time generally did have the best recorded sound, though the pressings could be a bit noisy compared to columbias.

8. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Not to hijack this thread, but since we're discussing 78RPM sound quality, here goes... I just posted this info in a thread in the Hardware section:

Some nice sounds of the 30s and 40s can be found here...:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ade425mxy#g/u

My favorite is Lionel Hampton's "Altitude":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kcdT-37HXw

Followed by Fats Waller's "Swinga-Dilla Street"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDjzH4yFqBo

Even with YouTube's awful compression, you can hear how good these recordings are... and what amazing things Adrian accomplishes with his work. I recommend a stop by his blog site.

- Kevin

9. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Thanks! One o' my "pet peeves" is the 78s often are "mastered" on modern media. Hearing a nice transfer - on YouTube, yet - is always... nice. If you ever get to transfer/master a buncha 78s from the late '20s-'30s I'll start with some early Ellington and a Glenn Gray comp. :angel:

10. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

and not a pop or a tick, nor any surface noise - only music in ggoos quality. how many years has this record been played now - 70 , 80 ?

11. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

12. Emerlist Davjack

Emerlist Davjack New Member

Scroll Victors are incredible.As classical,I have quite a lot of them,and am always out for more.Good sets like Mengelberg,Clemens Krauss,or "Master" Yehudi Menhuin can easily go $75 and up on eBay.

13. mischling

mischling Forum Resident

Wonderful! This is the stuff I'd love you to transfer to CD -- maybe a 70 minute compilation of your favourite hot jazz. How about it?

14. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have some classical RCA Victor's, of the Stokowski and the Philadelphia Orchestra, which have the same stunning sound. I have read that Stokowski with Philadelphia was the best American orchestra... ever. I'm inclined to believe it.

15. salleno

salleno Forum Resident

I too have some vintage 78's that sound amazing. With a low-pass at 12,000 CPS they just sound phenomenal.

16. VinylNutz

VinylNutz Active Member

Wow! Amazing sound. I didn't think it was possible then. It once again proves that hitech recording its all some claim it is.

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Loved hearing those. Wasn't the Isham Jones band where Gordon Jenkins practiced his craft in his early years?

18. THANK YOU for bringing this to our attention!

Lovin' it! :righton:

If there's CD' of any of this material (or LP's maybe?) in the works then I think you should find whoever posted these and work with him/her! As for me, I'm gonna be spending quite a while at that YouTube channel

:wave:

19. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Absolutely jaw-dropping sound, even with compression on youtube on my freakin' laptop! My brain probably couldn't take this played back on a vintage player! Geez ... :righton:

20. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

Incredible. I NEVER heard nor expected this kind of fidelity from a 78 record. Absolutely amazing.

21. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Gah, these sound great. The Adrien Gregg blog is quite a treasure trove. Thanks for posting this stuff.

22. Ear candy with the sound, brain candy with the history and eye candy with the labels.

Loving it all! :righton:

23. Ere

Ere Senior Member

what is signified by "scroll" Victors?

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

The scroll on the label. The 1925 and older Victors have a different type of design, often called the "Batwing" label.

The scroll lasted a long time, until 1938-39.

Phrases like "Scroll Victor", "Buff Bluebird", "Columbia Potato Head Whiteman", etc. really turn collectors on.

25. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this, Steve. 78's are such a treasure. It's nice that members have this opportunity to hear how wonderful this vintage music sounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.