Dust cover coming loose on Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CBackley, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

I bought a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC back in mid-2106. It was my first turntable, and I have plans to upgrade next year (looking at $2,000 range). The last few months the hinges that connect the dust cover to the platter have been loose. I tightened the screws, but they quickly got loose again. This wouldn’t be an issue except the dust cover was occasionally hitting spinning records when I put it down. Anyway, today one of the hinges busted right off my turntable! The screws seem like they won’t/can’t get a grip on the platter anymore. Any solutions or tips? Other than duct taping this sucker? I just need it to hold out a little longer. Less than a year. Sigh.

Alf Panek likes this.
  2. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

To get the wood screw to grip the hole, push a piece of wood matchstick or toothpick into the holes. Then install the screws.

eltigreferoz and CBackley like this.
  3. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

You can try to fill the busted holes with epoxy glue or wood filler, sand it flat once it cure and you should be able to drill new holes for your screws.

4. eltigreferoz

eltigreferoz Forum Resident

The toothpick trick bob mentioned above works well with IKEA furniture, which is often made of the same mdf.

1) get a toothpick and put some wood glue around one end.
    2) stick the toothpick, glue side, into the hole and break off the end of the toothpick in the hole so that it’s flush or lower than the lip of the hole
    3) tighten the screw in. If it’s still loose, use another toothpick.

clhboa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.