Every RPM Canadian Content #1 single discussion thread 1964-2000

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bunglejerry, Aug 17, 2020.

1. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And first-pressings of the U.S. release:
    [​IMG]
    Later pressings with this type variant have an ® to the bottom right of the logo, directly below the 'S' in 'RECORDS'.

Even later copies futzed with the label copy thus:
    [​IMG]
    It should be noted that by this time, Paul Anka as songwriter was basically an employee of Gordon Mills and two of his key clients, Tom Jones and Engelbert Humperdinck. That's because in 1971, Anka sold both Spanka Music and its ASCAP counterpart, Flanka Music, to Mills' Management Agency & Music (MAM) firm (in which both Jones and Humperdinck had a stake at the time). Around this same period, another Mills client, Gilbert O'Sullivan (of "Alone Again (Naturally)" fame), got into some controversy in England with a record called "A Woman's Place." O'Sullivan also made some comments regarding women that were regarded as outright antediluvian and, in a way, would be worse than the message in Anka's song.

2. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

Takin' Care Of Business : Yeah, radio ran this one into the ground but it is a classic. Randy Bachman had a knack for writing anthemic radio hits that rocked without sacrificing commercial appeal.

You're Having My Baby : The less said about this song, the better.

bunglejerry likes this.
  3. W.B.

I like "(You're) Having My Baby"; having said that, though, it's fortunate that it's only 2:32. One of many songs of '74 I grew up listening to.

bunglejerry likes this.
  4. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

The two pressings credit a different 'string arranger'. I don't know which one is correct.

Anka is sometimes given kudos for recording this 'duet' with an African-American woman (Anka had met Odia Coates through Edwin Hawkins), but I think the idea that the woman who is carrying his baby as a 'way of saying' how much she loves him is African-American makes the whole subservient concept of the song even more troublesome.

Anka's comments in 1975 to Los Angeles Times writer Paul Rosenfield:
    We tested the song before its release and knew there would be flak. But it's nothing compared to the acceptance. I wasn't putting women in a subservient position, for God's sake. Motherhood is a fact of life...It's a personal statement of a man caught up in the affection and joy of childbirth."

bunglejerry likes this.
  5. W.B.

Apparently the second string credit would be correct . . .

But here's the O'Sullivan song. Which of those two (this and Anka's) would, in your opinion, be worse?

6. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, Anka is a person of colour as well, though I don't think society viewed him as such.

It's interesting. That particular thought didn't occur to me while I was watching videos of them performing the song.

We will, of course, hear from Coates several more times in the near future.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  7. bunglejerry

Holy crap, that's offensive. That's one of the worst songs I've ever heard. I understand why it was so natural that he would be alone again.

The concert that Stompin' Tom filmed for the Live at the Horseshoe album had a really regressive song sung by a woman. But I can't find it just yet.

8. bunglejerry

Ah, here it is. 25:20 into this:

Edit: written by Jerry Gillespie and Joseph Ronald Ricci.

9. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Live on The Midnight Special

Video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3y0zh-3VJg

[​IMG]
    HAVIN' MY SON | Maclean's | FEBRUARY 1975
    The album it was from, Anka, was his only Billboard top twenty LP (#9)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anka produced and co-wrote the debut single for Odia Coates, "Make It Up To Me Baby" b/w "The World's Such A Happy Place" on Buddah back in 1973
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJbsySED9LU

[​IMG]

Coates recorded "(I'm) Having Your Baby" on her debut album in 1975 but it's not on youtube. But Sunday Sharpe's "I'm Having Your Baby" (#11 Billboard Country, #40 RPM Country) is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLtBuelxR7w

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    bunglejerry likes this.
  10. bunglejerry

Incidentally, Paul Anka's first wife Anna de Zogheb had five of Anka's babies, all female and all alliteratively named (Alexandra, Amanda, Alicia, Anthea and Amelia), but not in 1974. The last two were born in 1971 and 1977, respectively. Amanda Anka would grow up and have two babies with why-do-I-think-he's-Canadian-when-he-isn't actor Jason Bateman. She has a daughter two years younger than her half-brother Ethan Anka, who was born in 2004 when Paul Anka was 63. Something that apparently Syrian/Lebanese-Canadian singer-songwriters are famous for.

EDIT: Oh gosh, look at that synchronicitous timing!

bekayne likes this.
  11. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Anna Anka - Wikipedia

12. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

Listen at your own peril:

I bought a beat up copy of the album years ago only for the two chart hits that are on it. I didn't even realize until I read your post that this thing is on it as well.

colinu, bunglejerry and bekayne like this.
  13. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

It was while the version of "You're Having My Baby" by the Hallelujah Tabernacle Choir was playing that WKRP changed its format to rock 'n roll:

14. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #75 for the first of two weeks the week of August 17, a cover of Stevie Wonder's "I Believe" by Vancouver's Songbird, the second release on the newly formed Mushroom Records. It reached #25 at their hometown CKLG.

The B-side "Bonus"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQgF0pHPkTI

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The story begins with a group of five Los Angeles teenagers called the Zoo, three of them being Mike Flicker, Howard Leese and Terry Gottleib. They released the album The Zoo Presents Chocolate Moose on Sunburst in 1968.

[​IMG]

After the band broke up, the Zoo trio would end up doing session work. One was in L.A. for a singer named Jay Caress: a cover of "As Tears Go By".
    Mike Flicker
    Albert Embankment - As Tears Go By
    "As Tears Go By" b/w "Natural Man" was the Canadian release. In the U.K. the artist was credited as Albert Embankment and the B-side was different, "Cover Me". Leese and Gottleib would follow Flicker up to Vancouver.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Jay Caress would move to Vancouver as well, and perform with a backing band as Jay Caress & Songbird. They would open for Frank Zappa when he came to Vancouver (September 19, 1970).

[​IMG]

The lineup would be filled out with Brian Siegel. Charles Gray Jr., son of one of the Ink Spots, would replace Caress as lead singer and the single "Sweet Elaine" b/w "Spread The Word" would be released on GRT in the Spring of 1971.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Italian picture sleeve

[​IMG]

Germany

[​IMG]

Paul C likes this.
  16. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Songbird would wind down: Gray became an actor in Canada (as Charles Woods Gray), Flicker would be kept busy working at Can-Base Studios, and Leese and Gottleib would form a new band in Vancouver, Christian. Other members of the group were lead singer John Christian, Michael Gerow on drums and J.J. Velker (49th Parallel) on keyboards. They released a self titled album released in Canada and the U.S. on Can-Base Records in 1972, produced by Flicker.
    Christian - ST

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Christian wouldn't last long. The next chapter of the Songbird story begins when Flicker (producer) and Leese (musical director) would help Tom Middleton to a smash hit "It Wouldn't Have Made Any Difference". Leese would join Middleton's touring band, which would have three Victoria musicians: Steven Moyer (guitar), Rob Deans (keyboards) and Don Hardy (drums)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When it came time for Songbird to make their own recordings, Flicker would drum on the records while Hardy would play live. Their next single will also chart.

17. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #85 for the first of two weeks the week of August 17, Ian Thomas with "Long Long Way" (#39 on the Pop Music Playlist). This is the album track, the 45 edit was 3:37. Another one that charted a lot higher regionally than nationally, it peaked at #10 at CHUM, #17 at Vancouver's CKLG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The B-side "Count Your Blessings"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJNgv_8YdYY

Long Long Way was the title of his second album. It would chart for one week at #99 (week of September 28, 1974)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Long Long Way by Ian Thomas - Hit Song - Vancouver Pop Music Signature Sounds

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A band called Christian would have two strikes against it from the giddy up.

19. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #33 for the first of two weeks the week of August 24, "Summer Girl" by Craig Ruhnke (#2 on the Pop Music Playlist). It was #11 at Ottawa's CFGO, #14 at CHUM and #24 at Windsor's CKLW, though not in Vancouver (I seem to remember hearing this one in Kelowna).

B-side "Turn The Lights Down Low"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-jqPa0rkw

[​IMG] [​IMG]

French picture sleeve

[​IMG]

Paul C and John54 like this.
  20. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #46 for the first of three weeks the week of August 24, "Walk On" by Neil Young (#69 in Billboard, #54 Cash Box, #66 Record World). It was #7 in Ottawa (CFGO), #12 at Vancouver's CKLG and #23 at Windsor's CKLW. In the U.S. it was #14 in Cleveland, and #22 in Dallas

B-side "For The Turnstiles"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z34HMyOmljQ

Italian picture sleeve

[​IMG]

France

[​IMG]

Spain

[​IMG]

Japan

[​IMG]

Germany

[​IMG]

Walk On by Neil Young - 1974 Hit Song - Vancouver Pop Music Signature Sounds

Both sides were from the album On The Beach which peaked at #13 during a 15 week stay on RPM's charts. Elsewhere it was #16 in Billboard and Record World, #8 in Cash Box, #3 in France and #5 in Holland.

21. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Glued to "Walk On" one place behind at #47 for the same three weeks, "Forever And Ever (Baby I'm Gonna Be Yours)" by Keith Hampshire. It was #14 in Ottawa (CFGO) and #28 in Windsor (CKLW).

B-side "Jeraboah"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GECj60yJJ84

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Forever And Ever" was a cover of a song by Cymbal And Clinger from 1972
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohwyiJJkZbs

[​IMG]

Cymbal was Johnny "Mr. Bass Man" Cymbal (who was mainly raised in Ontario) and Clinger was Peggy Clinger (Clinger Sisters). She would die of a drug overdose about a year later in August of 1975.
    The Clinger Sisters

22. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #59 the week of August 24, "Shoeshine Workin' Song" by Murray McLauchlan (also #15 on the Country chart and #13 on the Pop Music Playlist).

[​IMG]

The A-side would be on his next album, but that wouldn't be until the new year.

23. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

At #64 the week of August 24, "I'm On Fire For You Baby" by April Wine. It peaked at #7 at Vancouver's CKLG, #14 at CKOC (Hamilton), #16 at both CHUM and CFGO (Ottawa), #25 at Windsor's CKLW and it was #58 for 1974 at Winnipeg's CKY. Another one of the RMP chart placements that makes you go "huh".

"Come On Along" from Electric Jewels was the B-side
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QwB9pLYQjY

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The studio version on "I'm On Fire For You Baby" was not released on an album, but a live version would appear on their latest album April Wine Live. The LP would peak at #36 during the first two weeks of December during a 15 week stay on the charts.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHX0HEVS6lk

[​IMG] [​IMG]

"I'm On Fire For You Baby" was a cover of a song by British singer-songwriter David Elliott, released as "On Fire For You" in 1973
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwkVAj1y8gE

One of the songs most associated with April Wine, yet there are 24 of their songs which charted higher (would have been 25 if not for a mail strike)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw26sU5HtU0

I'm On Fire For You Baby by April Wine - 1974 Hit Song - Vancouver Pop Music Signature Sounds

Clarkophile and Paul C like this.
  24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have been scratching my head with these records charting on CKLW. Were they playing these in the middle of the night?

bunglejerry likes this.
  25. bunglejerry

You don't know that song? @bekayne is right; it's one of April Wine's best-remembered songs up here. Looking at their embarrassingly disorganised Spotify discography, it seems to be about the fifth most-played April Wine song (and so interesting how low it charted). The establishment of these Canadian bands' legacy decades later is an increasingly intriguing topic to me. And the areas where songs are - relatively - better remembered in Canada than the States or the other way round are a significant aspect of that.

Of course, the simple answer to your question is "yes"; Google the phrase "beaver hours".

EDIT: Apparently it's also on the Trailer Park Boys soundtrack, so that explains... something.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    bekayne likes this.