"Forbidden Planet" geek thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Blastproof, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a lot of "it depends" to that. They haven't made HD sets for years, so I'm assuming yours is fairly old. Newer sets -- particularly the top OLED 4K models -- will generally look better.

misterjones and elaterium like this.
  2. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I may be doing something wrong here as I am not an expert, or have golden "eyes" but my opinion is that the disc player also has a lot to do with pictures quality, espescially with current 4K tv's. I have a LG OLED 65 C8. My current disc player is an Oppo UDP-203, that seems to work great with good picture quality. But when I use my older Blu-ray Panasonic DMP-BDT500 player, and watch Blu-rays, and especially DVDs, compared to the Oppo, they look awful, resolution wise. I understand that the Oppo is considered a much higher quality player, and I have tried different HDMI cables with the Panasonic with no improvement, so I assume it's the Panasonic player that is causing picture quality issues.

3. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Or at least erase the strings that hold him up.

misterjones likes this.
  4. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

It is a relief that men’s pomade hair gel will survive well into the future…

[​IMG]

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I'd say something's wrong if there's that much difference. If regular pictures look visibly different on each, then a bona fide test disc will reveal the reasons why. The only three things we've noticed on different Blu-ray players:

1) some have more dropouts, glitches, and tracking problems than others
    2) some disc players are mechanically noisy (loud motors, bad damping, etc.)
    3) some have more features (nicer remotes, better readouts, faster loading, etc.).

I would check a test disc on scopes and see if the levels are right. It's either right or it isn't -- there's not a lot of weasel room where a digital video signal is "sorta right but not quite." Resolution -- frequency response -- is very, very easy to check.

I can tell you we've tried Sony, Panasonic, and LG players. What we noticed is that the low-end Sony players were kind of cheaply built and chintzy but basically worked; the LG players were noisy and rattled and took forever to load; and the Panasonic UB-820 Blu-ray player was fine. We have a Sony UBP-X1000ES Blu-ray at the office that's OK. I've compared it to the exact signal that mastered the disc, and from my perspective it's at least 99% identical.

Heavy Music likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.