Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I am not comfortable being lied to period.

Anthrax and Lownote30 like this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I believe it’s July 21 or so (don’t have my book near me either). I was a little disappointed myself it wasn’t included but there’s always the next collection!

3. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Saving it for the 75th.

4. John Harchar

Every now and then you have to go with the TV Elwood Blues philosophy “It wasn’t lies, it was just bamboozle.”

Christopher B, jhm and 905 like this.
  5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The ‘97 creation of First Rays was poorly compiled. Why they feel the need to now parade it out in 5.1, still containing a number of flaws, is a bit baffling. This collection was a chance to correct that misguided release. At least the bonus discs look intriguing.

Hep Alien, tcbtcb and Purple Jim like this.
  6. John Harchar

At least it's 20 songs now! Maybe not the RIGHT 20 songs and not in the right order but... :D

jhm, UMO, Deek57 and 2 others like this.
  7. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

What are the flaws...?
    I wasn't aware that Songs For Groovy wasn't complete. Just went back and read the end of that thread.
    And I thought I could put the boot aside...

8. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Agree 100%. The eight LPs of Groovy Children are fantastic as they are: I couldn’t care less if there are five more substandard takes or substandard recordings left off of it. What they did give us was great. If they want to call it “complete,” so be it. I don’t care if it’s not.

iggyd, jhm, 905 and 4 others like this.
  9. DavidJ

DavidJ Forum Resident

I’m surprised there wasn’t legal action against EH for false advertising. Seems like it would be the most open and shut case since Lionel Hutz sued the makers of The Neverending Story.

10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Janie would be in her early 80's. They have enough unreleased to last that long. Fans still around to buy those scraps and crumbs is the biggest question for 2045.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  11. John Harchar

Keep it mainly for 12/31 2nd set.

First Rays’ primary function at the time was to get Cry of Love back in print, then secondarily to try and represent what the album might have looked like. For me, it was too short, had at least one song that should’ve been moved to South Saturn Delta and was awkwardly sequenced. The track list on the Blu doesn’t make much sense either.

Lownote30 likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Only that it doesn't represent any historical accuracy with respect to Hendrix's work toward the First Rays project (or whatever it would have ultimately been called). EH's First Rays release was simply a way to recycle Cry of Love with some associated material from Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes. And some of those particular recordings did not represent the best mixes available.

13. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

:tiphat:

Reviewing FROTNRS, I see a huge debate about the track order. The flaws reported on that also included distorted, chopped beginnings. As pacificoceanblue said, complaints about Eddie's '97 mixes rather than Marino's 2010 mastering. Hopefully this one sounds better.

All Down The Line likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Almost 25 years later i still can't fathom how they even released Ezy Rider with that cut intro!

jhm and Experiencereunited like this.
  15. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

There were no "new mixes" as such. The San Diego tracks were all old vintage mixes from 1969.

Hep Alien and jhm like this.
  16. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

A strong purchase possibility.

17. sweetdudejim

sweetdudejim Forum Resident

Would you mind expounding upon this PacificOceanBlue? I'm honestly interested in your opinion on this, as I must admit I'm not super knowledgable about this era and what the album could've looked like.

In addition, do you have a tracklist you've seen (either from Jimi's writings or elsewhere) that you think may have been it?

18. Doctor Flang

What '97 mixes?

A Local Bloke likes this.
  19. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Then what are you doing on the internet?
    Nodeer4amontH

marcb likes this.
  20. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Here are the 3 known tracklists. The 3-sided one might have been made soon after he died though.

They basically just expanded Cry Of Love (Which had a track from the EL sessions in 1968 that shouldn't be there, and wasn't true to Jimi's vision in the first place) with a few extra tracks. Not necessarily the most finished tracks or whatever, but just some that they wanted to include. No regard for Jimi's original vision I mean.

Hep Alien and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  21. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

John Jansen was also involved.
    Jimi Hendrix – First Rays Of The New Rising Sun (1997, CD)
    "Mixed By – Eddie Kramer, Jimi Hendrix (tracks: 1, 3, 5 to 7, 14, 15, 17), John Jansen (tracks: 2, 9, 10, 13)"
    First Rays of the New Rising Sun - Wikipedia
    "Eddie Kramer – producer, engineering, mixing" Kramer "used the original master recordings and sequenced the songs to realize Hendrix's plans to the best of his abilities."
    First Rays of the New Rising Sun - Jimi Hendrix | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic
    "a lot of it was tampered with, mostly in the form of posthumous overdubbed embellishments supervised by producer Alan Douglas -- all of that has been stripped off and the multi-track masters retrieved and restored."

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. Doctor Flang

Not a single track on FROTNRS was remixed. They were the same mixes that were used on Cry of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes.

Hep Alien, Lownote30, jhm and 3 others like this.
  23. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Mixes used in '97 then. My mistake.

905 and Doctor Flang like this.
  24. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Ha ha. What about the incorrect speed issues on the initial Dagger IoF or the 12 extra / repeated seconds added to PH on the Monterey vinyl (US)?

Seems focus on Jimi Hendrix the musician is the least of EHs skill set.

There are more and of course the incorrect liner notes, the lies and obtuse selling and marketing.

All Down The Line likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Just checked and yes, July 21. Bravo John! After 30 takes of "Tune X-Just Came In" (proto "In From The Storm"), Jimi "led the band through a single, spirited workout of "Hear My Train A Comin" before calling the evening to a close."