Is It Possible to put together a solo Beatles album that rivals their Best Beatles Work?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by HawthorneCalifornia, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

The closest any solo album came to the Beatles best is Plastic Ono Band. An argument could be made that it's better than a few of them.

[​IMG]

BDC and Sadcafe like this.
  2. Tord

Tord Forum Resident

1970-1973

Band on the Run
    My Sweet Lord
    Oh My Love
    I'm the Greatest
    Bluebird
    I Dig Love
    Imagine

Art of Dying
    Jealous Guy
    It Don't Come Easy
    Mamunia
    Gimme Some Truth
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Isn't It a Pity

Crimson Witch likes this.
  3. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

What is Life - George
    Out The Blue - John
    It Don't Come Easy - Ringo
    Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul
    Wah-Wah - George

Imagine - John
    Too Many People - Paul
    Awaiting On You All - George
    Junk (or Every Night) - Paul
    #9 Dream - John
    Photograph - Ringo

The problem with everything posted so far was every list had tracks I would always be skipping. Most every actual Beatles album has tracks I'm always skipping too, so I guess that does make them equal, but not in an optimal way. Even on my list I would be tempted to often skip Imagine, but I just didn't see how that could ever be left off of any of these album listings. For me, I would certainly easily consider this list to rival their best group albums, plus gives better equality to represent the great material that George and Ringo were producing in those years.

4. Book of Saturday

Book of Saturday Forum Resident

In my mind, I'm hearing Lennon doing the "Admiral Halsey notified me..." part.

I like it.

5. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Maybe I'm Amazed
    Beware of darkness
    Isolation
    My sweet lord
    9 Dream
    It dont come easy
    Bluebird
    Working Class Hero
    Whos that knocking on the door
    Photograph
    Imagine
    Live and let die

Tord likes this.
  6. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Not possible.
    1. The best work of the Beatles is better, but I know well the opposing case. I respect it.
    2. A solo compilation won't have a unified vision and production. When I think of the Beatles best work I think in terms of whole studio albums. That said even compilations of Beatles tunes from different albums go well together. That said, No solo compilation would stack up against the Beatles "Blue" and "Red" albums or the old "Rock n roll music" comps. Three of which I played extensively when I was young.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. Gabba Gabba

Gabba Gabba Forum Resident

I think Ringo's the No No song is pretty goofy and light.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

There's some good ones found in this discussion:
    The Beatles 14th Album

This was mine:
    Side one:
    What Is Life
    Instant Karma
    Every Night
    Love
    Hot As Sunglasses
    Junk
    Isn't It A Pity

Side Two:
    Remember
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Let It Down
    Look At Me
    All Things Must Pass
    It Don't Come Easy

9. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

Impossible.Next question.

BDC likes this.
  10. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Very possible, in fact easy, they have plenty of songs that are just as good and some better than some of what's considered their best Beatle songs.

11. JFSebastion

JFSebastion Forum Resident

Okay, first off we really don't know how the Beatles would have "got on" for another album. To be fair we should only take songs from the 7o-71 period which would have been about the time the public would have expected an LP. Back then an album a year was average for most artists. Never mind the output the Beatles were expected to do. So that takes in :plastic Ono Band & Imagine (John) - McCartney & Ram (Paul)- All Things Must Pass (George) and the song- It Don't Come Easy for Ringo. Sorry, did you really think he would get more than one song on any of their albums?
    Now is where the problems really start. The Beatles broke up for a reason, they were stifling each other. On two occasions George had to bring in an outside musician to complete "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with Clapton, and to salvage any sort of camaraderie for "Let It Be" LP. Billy Preston. So first off we have to agree that the break up allowed for each Beatle a chance to stretch out. So if they had stayed together you have to filter out songs that would have been met with indifference or outright indignation. For John forget "Mother" and most of the abrasive stuff on his first solo album. Leaving "Love" and maybe "Remember" as an outside chance. He would fair better with the "Imagine" album. Although we can cross out "I don't want to be a soldier" song from the outset. Still the title track is classic. "Jealous Guy" , "It's So Hard" and "Oh My Love" would all have been approved.
    For Paul his "McCartney" album produced several good tunes of which "Every Night" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" would have worked. The "Ram" album had "Dear Boy" , "Heart of the Country", and he would have pushed thru "Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey" even if it took 200 takes. He wouldn't have stood a chance with the single "Another Day." You could almost see John's face if Paul had brought that in. Ditto "Too Many People" with it's swipe at John. And of course John wouldn't have released "How do you sleep?" in response.
    The tricky part is still George. "My Sweet Lord" forget it. Same with later songs like "Give Me Love" had they stayed together. Also forget any Dylan collaborations like "I'd Have You Anytime". Neither John or Paul outside the Beatles allowed anyone of their contemporaries to work with them. Both using lesser talents to bolster the songs. Sure John used Bowie and Elton John , but both artists were Lennon fans at the outset. If you want to see how John could be with obvious talent from the Sixties just look up the one time Paul Simon was in the studio with John. He knew just what buttons to push to drive Simon out the door. Paul also collaborated with Stevie Wonder, Elvis Costello, and Michael Jackson. None of them were his equal in his mind and Paul wouldn't have suffered any back talk from any of them. Which brings us back to George. There is still much to like on "All Things Must Pass". The pop confection "What is Life" the majestic "Isn't it a Pity", "Apple Scruffs" maybe "Run of the Mill".
    So the only solution really is a "Son of" Revolver set list. Which could go like this.

Side 1 Maybe I'm Amazed. (Lennon-McCartney) Side 2 What Is Life? (Harrison)
    Apple Scruffs (Harrison) It So Hard (Lennon-McCartney)
    Love (Lennon-McCartney) Heart of the Country (Lennon-McCartney)
    Uncle Albert/ Admiral Halsey (Lennon-McCartney) Jealous Guy (Lennon-McCartney)
    It Don't Come Easy (Starkey) Every Night (Lennon-McCartney)
    Dear Boy (Lennon-McCartney) Remember (Lennon-McCartney)
    Imagine (Lennon-McCartney) Isn't It A Pity (Harrison)

Now using some imagination, think of George playing guitar on Maybe I'm Amazed or Uncle Albert. Think of John playing harmonica on Apple Scruffs. Paul playing Bass on It's So Hard or Isn't it a Pity and the album starts to sound like it would stand up to Let It Be for sure if not others.

Bern, HGN2001 and Haristar like this.
  12. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Hard to argue with that (even the first point, for me). But I can't forget what a music-making machine The Beatles were in their prime. I'm picturing Instant Karma with Paul staying up all night doing 300 takes on bass until it's a monster. George Martin there, members offering ideas for bridges and choruses, all of it. In THAT environment, there's no question in my mind that the songs they were writing constituted an lp (or three) of a level with The Beatles better albums. That's sheer conjecture, though. Even as is, as a "collection" rather than an album as Chuckee said, it's a damn strong group. I won't attempt one of my own but Working Class Hero would have to be on it. Paul gets Uncle Albert in return. A team effort!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    beatleroadie and Chuckee like this.
  13. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Both John and Paul would have to have a rocker and I wouldn't use any tracks from past 71 because then it becomes even more hypothetical than it already is.
    If we started selecting songs from the rest of the 70s it would be a double album for sure.

John
    Mother
    I Found Out
    Instant Karma
    Imagine
    Jealous Guy

Paul
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Every Night
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    Too Many People

George
    My Sweet Lord

Ringo
    It Don't Come Easy

14. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Plastic Ono Ram
    :nyah:

smoke likes this.
  15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

1971 The Beatles - It Don't Come Easy

1. It Don't Come Easy
    2. Give Peace A Chance
    3. Maybe I'm Amazed
    4. My Sweet Lord
    5. Cold Turkey
    6. Too Many People

1. Wah Wah
    2. Instant Karma
    3. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    4. What Is Life
    5. Power To The People
    6. Another Day

16. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

Yes you are correct if you took the "best" songs of their solo work and made a compilation. Of coarse.

17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I'd say a 1973 Beatles reunion record with this track list would have made quite a splash and stood up to a lot of their 60s work:

Beatles - Band on the Run (1973)

side a
    1. You Can't Catch Me
    2. Photograph
    3. Jet
    4. Give Me Love
    5. I'm the Greatest
    6. Bring on the Lucie (Freeda People)

side b
    7. Band on the Run
    8. The Day the World Gets Round
    9. I Know (I Know)
    10. Six O'Clock - extended version-
    11. Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Five

But, I like the idea of thinking of an early 70s compilation album, similar to Red and Blue compilation albums. What if in April 1973, Apple not only put out RED and BLUE to cover the Beatles period, but a YELLOW album of solo tracks by the ex-Beatles on Apple 1970-1972?

What would you put on it? What 25 or so songs would make the cut? Surely we start with all of their singles...

Here's my pick of 25 songs for the YELLOW ALBUM:

Ringo
    It Don't Come Easy
    Back of Boogaloo

George
    My Sweet Lord
    What is Life
    Isn't It a Pity
    Let it Down
    The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let it Roll)
    Bangladesh

Paul
    Maybe I'm Amazed
    Another Day
    Heart of the Country
    Too Many People
    Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
    Backseat of My Car
    Big Barn Bed
    My Love

John
    Instant Karma
    Mother
    Love
    Happy Xmas (War is Over)
    Power to the People
    Imagine
    Jealous Guy
    New York City
    Woman is the N***** of the World

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Exactly!
    Here's my comp I posted in a thread a few years ago about creating a last Beatles album from solo material and my concept behind it. It's a little different than the OP's agenda, so I apologize but I think it might interest a few people here.

My priority was to make it sound like as close to a Beatles release as possible.

The problem with making a last"Beatles album" from solo material IMO is...the production is all over the place on the solo material. I can't make aural sense out of having an All Things Must Pass song next to a song from McCartney, etc.

So I took a different approach.
    I didn't worry about using the biggest hits, because I was more concerned with the comp actually sounding like a logical Beatles release , or more precisely I guess, a Beatles bootleg album. A comp that actually sounds "Beatles like" is more important to me than making sure the big hits are accounted for.

I look at it as sort of Kinfauns Two, as if the Beatles had been working on these songs and some were rough working versions or demos and a couple of songs were semi-produced but then the band broke up.To make the disc sound cohesive I've used many acoustic based song versions, or at the least, stripped down underproduced versions..and no Linda on vocals because that automatically put's Paul's songs in solo land. And...sorry Ringo, we'll phone you.:p ( I was also thinking of adding John's vocal version of "I'm the Greatest " to this also.) Do you have a Ringo song that would sound sonically similar to fit this comp?

It may not sound like an officially released Apple Beatles album but if you put the comp together I think you may find it does sound surprisingly "Beatles like", and George finally gets promoted :D

Kinfauns : The Beatles As NatureIntended

1. Every Night (McCartney)
    2.Look At Me (Lennon Box CD1)
    3.Beware of Darkness ( Beware of ABKCO!)
    4.Come and Get It (Paul's demo)
    5.Jealous Guy (Lennon Box CD1)
    6.That Would Be Something (McCartney)
    7.Oh My Love ( Lennon Box CD1)
    8.Run Of The Mill (Beware of ABKCO!)
    9.Singalong Junk ( McCartney)
    10.Remember (Lennon Box CD1)
    11.Goodbye (Various boots)
    12.Let it Down (ABKCO)
    13.Love (Lennon Box CD1)
    14.All Things Must Pass (Anthology 3)

For those here that may not have the Lennon box, none of the versions I used from it are the versions originally released. They are all stripped down in one way or another.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Thats the things though (eventhough I agree with the above statement) The Beatles were about hits. Thats a big part of what made them special. You look at their albums and go "Wow, look at all of those classic songs!"

If nothing else, maybe this thread has explored and revealed just how impossible the Beatles were to top.

The Beatles cant even top the Beatles!

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Yes. Plastic Ono Band is better than many Beatles albums imo.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Not to rival their best, but there's some great stuff.

22. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I have a new Beatles album from 1980 rightfully titled

Starting Over

Side 1
    Just Like Starting Over (Lennon-McCartney)
    Temporary Secretary (Lennon-McCartney)
    Blow Away (Harrison)
    One of These Days (Lennon-McCartney)
    Woman (Lennon-McCartney)

Side 2
    Faster (Harrison)
    As Far as We Can Go (Ballard)
    Not Guilty (Harrison)
    Darkroom (Lennon-McCartney)
    Real Love (Lennon-McCartney)

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

With the obligatory non-album contemporary double A-side single: "Coming Up"/"I'm Losing You":righton:

pokemaniacjunk likes this.
  24. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I've been playing with this playlist this morning and so far, Side One is absolutely inspired. I decided to segue the songs together the way a Beatles album might be structured in those days. Going from "Maybe I'm Amazed" into "Apple Scruffs" is OK, but the rest of the side blows me away.

At the end of "Apple Scruffs", I started "Love" with its long fade-up mostly buried at the end of "Scruffs". The second fade-up of the piano at the end of "Love" leads to the shimmering and guitar start of "It Don't Come Easy" in essentially the same key.

As "It Don't Come Easy" ends, "Dear Boy" starts right in time to resolve back to the same key as the prior song, fitting like a glove.

"At the tail of "Dear Boy", "Imagine" starts in a complimentary key. I'm telling you, it's inspired. Thanks JF. Even if Side Two isn't quite as good, Side One made up for it. I'll tackle Side Two later today.

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yes, but no one will agree on it. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.