Joan Baez - Diamonds And Rust On Cd

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by antonkk, Dec 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member Thread Starter

Was it ever remastered? Which one do I want? I had this one on tape for years and gave it a listen yesterday - boy, the record is beautiful! Bet it deserves a real good sounding CD...

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

DON'T get the remastered CD unless you like digitally compressed sound with 0 dynamics.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Ouch! Thanks for the tip!

And for reminding me of yet another hole in my CD collection.... :sigh:

:)

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Does that go for all the Joan baez remasters? I have the original debut cd and it was remastered...just curious.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's been done...MFSL. And yes, a lovely, lovely record. Her take on "Danny Boy" gets me crying every time.

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The MFSL is the one to get - but it's one of the more costly ones.

7. antonkk

What about the regular unremastered CD? Is it any good?

8. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Question?
    What's the going price for this one?

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

You know, I've never heard the old original A&M CD of this title. Anyone heard it? It might be wonderful. I thought the MFSL had a big top end boost...

10. Luxury_Liner

Luxury_Liner Senior Member

Howdy,

It was remastered as part of the Complete A&M Recordings box set that came out in 2003. Basically, it's her entire A&M output in one tiny box. I did have the non-remastered disc at one point but I can't remember how it compares to the box set I which I don't have it with me at the moment (I've been in the process of moving to a new place and I am yet to be reunited with my music collection -which is like an extension of my being. I'm about to have a nervous breakdown! :) The good thing about the box set is that it had stuff like the Gulf Winds album that had never been available on cd before. (And that song Sweeter For Me kills me every time I hear it!) I think that's true for the live album although I think that was available as an import or something but I can't quite remember now. My memory turns into fog...

Richard

11. AJH

AJH Senior Member

I have both the original A&M and the MFSL. The original A&M is outstanding. I certainly agree with you that there is something added to the MFSL, but I'm not overly concerned with it. The original A&M is very polished- excellent dynamics, great sound stage, fabulous imaging, and Joan's voice is as smooth as silk (this would be the best choice if it can be found, but I don't know how hard the original A&M would be to find). The sound on the A&M box set is horribly compressed- the box set should be avoided at all costs!

AJH

12. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The original A&M is one of the most gorgeous CDs around. Perfect. I've never bothered to get the MFSL.

Trust me folks, it is *stunning*. And can probably be had for 5 bucks.

13. antonkk

Cool! Thanx guys, my local store has the original CD so I'm picking this one up tomorrow! :goodie:

14. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Agreed, I have this one and I really enjoy it. Love the sound.

15. jimfromny

jimfromny Forum Resident

Catalog Number?

Can someone post the catalog number for the original A&M CD?

16. Paddy

Paddy New Member

393 233-2 is the number of the german issue. Maybe that helps...

red corner likes this.
  17. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

CD 3233

18. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

I received my copy today (less than 5 EUR) and it sounds very good. Mastered by Mike Reese at the Mastering Lab (as written on the booklet).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.