DCC Archive Live at Leeds DE

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Buchanan, Oct 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma Thread Starter

I finally got this (4 weeks from despatch to arrival in Perth) and would have to agree with the vocal majority. Tommy sounds like the tape head used for replay was misaligned, causing those weird phase effects in the vocals. I presume that JA copies the multitrack to digital, then mixes down to 2 tracks. If that is the case, the multitrack replay heads must have been out of alignment!!!
    Then, this has been "corrected" with treble boost.
    It is still possible that the problem lies in overuse of NoNoise - listen to the first DE version of Islands by King Crimson. Extreme NoNoise caused some odd phase shifts and bass distortion there.
    Great performance however (LAL I mean, but also Islands.) :(

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes, the DE is BAD BAD BAD. I should make a copy for Steve just so he can laugh at it...

I was *expecting* bad, but not this bad...

3. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

did he return to the tapes for the DE?
    i thought everything was copied digitally in '94/'95,as the AJ/Sparks insert in '95 sounds great.

4. John Buchanan

Yes it did sound good in the 95 remix. It seems he returned to the tapes and didn't improve the sound of the Tommy disc - just the opposite.

5. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

IIRC the 30 years box set Leeds tracks weren't decrackled/declicked,and this work was only done for the '95 1 disc version.
    so he did it so right the first time....................and he chose to go back and do it again!
    so somewhere in The Who's digital archive there could/should be a complete digital version of the '95 conversion,as his duties [apart from remixing and remastering] were to copy everything they had for the future,before it was too late.

6. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I'm trying to understand what is the best Live at Leeds CD to get. Sounds like avoid the DE at all costs. And it seems like a couple years ago (?) there was some chatter about a possible SHM-SACD release but that release was cancelled, not just delayed, correct?

Is the 2008 Japanese SHM better than the DE or is it the same? Is there anything out there better or comparable to the MFSL, or does everything pale in comparison?

Thanks. I know there is a search function, I have used it, but left more confused!

7. John Buchanan

The DE 1st disc and the 1995 aren't much different and sound very good. The MFSL is derived from the 1995. That's about as good as it gets for legitimate Leeds releases, IMHO.
    The DE Tommy disc seriously needs to be redone to match the sound of the first disc, but since we now have the Live At Hull set, it's not as urgent a desire.

JRM likes this.
  8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

9. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I think the MFSL sounds better especially Moonie. Nothing wrong with the 95 regular release but the MFSL is superior, IMO.

Evan L likes this.
  10. John Buchanan

It's the same sound. Packaging is different.

JRM likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I still can't get behind the '95 CD with the edits and overdubs, as well as the added slap delay on the guitar in places.

And still not sure what happened with the Deluxe Edition. I have no idea what could have happened to make it sound like that.

12. John Buchanan

Yes - that slap echo is just silly.

13. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Thanks for the feedback forumites. Just bought the MFSL...and thus concludes a week-long, quite pricey Who buying frenzy to get my collection upgraded and more complete. I ended up going with MFSL for Live at Leeds and Who Are You. The others are a combo of SHM-CD and SHM-SACD.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The MFSL of Live At Leeds isn't significantly different from the stock 1995 CD.

And note that while the MFSL of Who Are You arguably sounds nice, it is comprised mostly or completely of alternate mixes.

15. John Buchanan

I've retained the 1995 12" version package - it was done rather nicely, as well as the DE and the Super Deluxe.

Quadboy likes this.
  16. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

Yep I've heard the WAY and like it - but curious what is your "go to" LAL? If you had to choose any CD version which one? Thanks!

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

None of the official releases.

mw1917, tdavis0903 and JRM like this.
  18. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

yes,i have that gorgeous MCA LP sized box version too.
    according to MCA's head man at the time [Randy Miller IIRC] all of the "main" Who albums with Moon were to be issued in similar limited edition boxes.
    but i don't think the box [limited to 15,000 copies] sold very well.
    but they only have themselves to blame for poor sales,as over here the '90's reissues recieved very little promotion and advertising compared to the 30 years box set and the Astley/Charlesworth compiled greatest hits.

19. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

I recently did a "shootout"- DE disc1 vs. the '95. I ended up liking the DE even less. Harsher overall, without the punch of the '95.

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Here's Pinball Wizard from Leeds on the 1996 CD single "My Generation" compiled by JA, [for those of you who may not have heard it] and it sounds fine.

21. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

Isn't the MFSL just a eq'ed version of the 95 remaster. IIRC, it just sounded brighter. I think I preferred the 95 disc when I compared them awhile back.

lukpac likes this.
  22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

When I originally purchased and listened to the mgsl Leeds, it was not to my liking.

I called up mfsl and somehow a tech just happened to answer the phone.

I felt a bit bad about the conversation as mfsl was in the process of going under.

Anyway, the conversation was direct and concise. The tech told me the mfsl was mastered from digital files sent to him directly from Astley.

hi_watt and Dave like this.
  23. John Buchanan

I seem to remember there was some difference - maybe it wasn't as compressed as the MCA - not sure - but it sounded like a minimal difference.

24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

All they did was eq and probably run it thru whatever digital filter was in vogue at the time.

I still have the disc, no listen in a long time.

If I could make an analogy it probably closely resembles the sonic character of the mfsl quadrophenia.

A bit more bass, warmth - with a touch of sweetening on top.

25. John Buchanan

It certainly wasn't a radical difference. A lot of people at the time were hoping for an original LAL - crackles and all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.