Minneapolis Record Store recommendations?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by recstar24, Dec 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member Thread Starter

Currently en route to Mall of America with the family and staying over night before visiting family in Rochester. First time in the state! Would love any recommendations for record stores, I’m a jazzer but will go and buy anything lol. Already planning on hitting up extreme noise!

2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Electric Fetus
    2000 S 4th Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55404

3. steelydanguy

steelydanguy Forum Resident

I second the Electric Fetus. It deservedly makes lists of best record stores in the nation on a consistent basis.

There's a pretty big drop-off after that, but Cheapo Discs still has a few locations, including one in Minneapolis (2600 Nicollet Ave., 55408) that isn't too far from the Electric Fetus. Used CDs is Cheapo's strength.

The places mentioned above carry vinyl but are still strongest in CDs. If you're more into vinyl, Mill City Sound in the Minneapolis suburb of Hopkins is worth a look. It's a well-organized store with a lot of vinyl to paw through. The address is 812 Main Street, Hopkins, 55343.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

John Murray, Platterpus and Galley like this.
  4. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member Thread Starter

Electric fetus unfortunately wasn’t what I was really hoping it would be :( there was barely any vinyl, Jazz was virtually non existent. Half the store is random merch and chotchkies, and what vinyl I did find was way overpriced. Used selection was minimal. A shame.

Even though I’m not a punk head by any stretch I’m glad I was able to hit up extreme noise. Tons of vinyl both used and new, great selection (within the punk metal goth noise rock realm) and prices were fantastic. Very well organized and the staff was awesome.

jicerswine likes this.
  5. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Any recommendations for finding used jazz in the Twin Cities? As @recstar24 mentioned above, I also found that Electric Fetus didn't really have any jazz, especially used, when I stopped in.

6. IraK

IraK Active Member

Hymies on East Lake Street

jicerswine and birchstick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.