Monkees Record Store Day exclusives 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JDistheone, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Huh?

2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Some of the threads here mentioned replacement bonus disc will come lately. So what's wrong with bonus disc?

3. Alan G

Alan G More A Lurker Than A Poster

I bought the box a few weeks ago and emailed a picture of the set to Dr Rhino late last week. Within a few days they replied that they were putting a corrected copy in the mail that day. It would not hurt to send them a gentle reminder.

Alan

David P. Hill likes this.
  4. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I think you are referring to two separate issues, David. All of the original copies of the box contained a mispressed Instant Replay, which did not include "The Girl I Left Behind Me." Rhino did a complete repressing of that title and began shipping out replacement discs around June/July. Since there were no issues with the record sleeve itself, they shipped the replacements in a plain white cardboard sleeve.

With respect to the bonus disc, many copies of the box (at least two or three dozen, based on comments here and on FB alone - probably more in actuality) were assembled incorrectly and included multiple copies of some albums. In my case, I had a box with two copies of More of the Monkees and no bonus disc. The bonus disc itself was pressed fine; it just wasn't included in my box originally. Other people online mentioned different box packing errors, including someone whose box not only included the ten discs but an an additional copy of Headquarters shoved in it.

David P. Hill likes this.
  5. David P. Hill

Thanks. I just sent another email to Dr. Rhino. Stay tuned!

6. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Are UK boxed sets black vinyl, or has Rhino started pressing more in the US on black? I see some in local record stores and I want to be sure I get a colored Vinyl box, not black.

7. David P. Hill

I also called and talked to Dr Rhino. I was lucky to get him. I needed the Monkees replacement, received in couple of days.

8. John Bliss

Any idea who mastered or pressed these? Can anyone look and share deadwax info? Discogs doesn't have that information.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

I wouldn't bother. For the first album, they used the old horrible Rhino LP master! It's a crappy rush job.

The HDTracks releases are also complete garbage, mostly made from copy tapes and not masters.

Andrew Sandoval was not involved with these releases and he is extremely embarrassed by them, so keep that in mind.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  10. John Bliss

Went ahead and bought a box. Price too good to pass up. There were actually 2 at the store. Just opened it.

The American repress (which is what mine appears to be) is a non limited edition, has all the correct songs, in the correct order on Instant Replay. RE-1 Deadwax. No RSD sticker anywhere, or any mention of 'Start your ear off right'. Bar code on back. Colored vinyl is the same colors. Ian Sefchick did these! RTI is involved somehow, their handwritten Alpha-Numeric is in the deadwax. Mastered By Capitol also machine stamped, for the curious.

Haven't listened yet, but I will. Great looking set. So happy to have all of the original albums in one place. I'll find a near mint or VG+ copy of the first S/T album eventually to get nice stereo versions where missing.

Just thought I'd share.

kouzie likes this.
  11. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

a local store just received 2 of these ...and sold both at $250+ within the same day

John Bliss likes this.
  12. Sci-Fi Kid

Sci-Fi Kid Forum Resident

Only $60 thru midnight at Insound.com during their May 55% off vinyl sale!

13. boyfromnowhere

boyfromnowhere Senior Member

Couldn't pass this up. Thanks for mentioning it! I hope the one I get isn't one of the messed up ones...(but if so, I'll live)!

agundy and Sci-Fi Kid like this.
  14. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

As this set is back on InSound, I am wondering... Are you GUARANTEED to get the mispressed Instant Replay, as these are seemingly left over stock? Would you even be able to get a replacement for this if it is the case?

15. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

I ordered and received one from the same site back in May and I got the corrected Instant Replay. What a beautiful set

16. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

Dr. Rhino has plenty of replacement LPs for Instant Replay.

John Bliss likes this.
  17. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

just spent 1K there thank you

John Bliss likes this.
  18. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

Looking to get more Monkees in my collection and right now only own Headquarters in mono. Do you think I should hunt down original stereos or spring for this box set?

19. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

This is a fine set to get -- the Colgems albums aren't sonic wonders and a couple of the later ones can get a little pricey if you want nice mint copies. If you're okay dealing with the missing song on Instant Replay (either just living with it or tracking down a replacement through Rhino), this should be a nice one-stop shop for someone who doesn't have all the albums already. The colored vinyl looks really nice, too.

Hep Alien, Pretty.Odd. and dasacco like this.
  20. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Keep an eye out for that Insound deal, it has shown up several times. If you can get this box for around 60 bucks, to me it's a much better choice than trying to track down excellent condition original copies.

Could these have been better? Absolutely, but I don't find them bad. And this set is (pretty much) all inclusive when you consider the bonus disc collects a lot of stray singles and such.

IMHO, of course.

Rocketdog and Pretty.Odd. like this.
  21. Pretty.Odd.

Thank you! Would you recommend these over the sundazed reissues or the mono box?

22. Pretty.Odd.

Wow I currently see this box for $80 on there!

23. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

I ordered from Insound last year and the LPs were the replacement ones, so that should't be a worry anymore...

Pretty.Odd. likes this.
  25. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

Yeah, probably. I've never actually bothered to pull the trigger on the mono box as I am not particularly impressed with Friday Music, to say the least, especially their handling of previous Monkees titles. One of these days I'll grab it for the collection, I suppose. I don't have the current Sundazed issues but their colored vinyl issues of the first five albums from years ago are serviceable enough and have bonus tracks. The Rhino box, if you can get it cheap enough, is your best bet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.