Neil Young & Bob Dylan in Hyde Park 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by arthurprecarious, Nov 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Thanks. I am familiar with Bob’s work. I thought the arrangements were great. It’s his ‘late period’ vocal affectations I have problems with. Yes, I knew roughly what to expect, but in the flesh it was just impossible to take seriously.

2. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Better to leave than not to enjoy it. It’s unfortunate that these big events bring in folk who can’t easily adjust to Dylan today. Having said which, from the few vids that have appeared, Dylan’s vocals seem reasonably clear.

Like a Rolling Stone is not one of my favourites live today though, I think he only does it because the audience expect it.

Tim

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

Gorgeous!

enro99, Tropehjelm, mark ab and 5 others like this.
  4. onlyconnect

Girl from the north country though is a lovely tender performance.

Tim

5. onlyconnect

Ha! You beat me to it by seconds.

Agreed though.

Tim

6. Mr. E. Tramp

Mr. E. Tramp Forum Resident

7. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Pussycat likes this.
  8. Pussycat

Pussycat (=^•.•^=)~*

Late period vocal affectations? LMFAO.

Yes, some things are quite impossible to take seriously.

9. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Fantastic setlist (other than Piece of Crap).

Here’s Bob’s (from Bob Dylan - Bob Links - London, England - set list - 07/12/19 ):

1. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on piano)
    2. It Ain't Me, Babe (Bob on piano)
    3. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on piano)
    4. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on piano and harp)
    5. Can't Wait (Bob center stage, Donnie on electric mandolin)
    6. When I Paint My Masterpiece (Bob on piano and harp)
    7. Honest With Me (Bob on piano)
    8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    9. Make You Feel My Love (Bob on piano and harp)
    10. Pay In Blood (Bob on piano)
    11. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    12. Early Roman Kings (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    13. Girl From The North Country
    (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)
    14. Love Sick (Bob on piano)
    15. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on piano, Donnie on electric mandolin)
    16. Soon After Midnight (Bob on piano)
    17. Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob on piano, Tony on standup bass)

(encore)
    18. Blowin' In The Wind (Bob on piano, Donnie on violin, Tony on standup bass)
    19. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
    (Bob on piano)

enro99 and steviebee like this.
  10. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

It couldn’t just be that Dylan wasn’t very good? I hate this attitude that kinda says that if you don’t like Dylan’s work then there must be something wrong with you. I’ve been a fan all my life but it was a shambles and hearing comments of others coming out that was probably a common feeling.

ARK, Jaap74, majorlance and 8 others like this.
  11. onlyconnect

Please don't put words into my mouth. That is not what I said.

Tim

12. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I was really lucky having Diamond Circle tickets up close and with great sound balance.

Neil was, of course, excellent but the big surprise to me was Bob who was clear and even rocked out at times. I even saw him smile a few times but still no recognition of, or interaction with, the audience.

I could imagine a different experience would be had if I was way back.

So for me, I loved every minute of both Neil’s and Bib’s set.

Richard

enro99, Dayfold, MRamble and 4 others like this.
  13. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

Dflow, mrjinks and mark ab like this.
  14. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

For me, the main problem with Bob’s set was that the constant chatter of people talking was very distracting. During Thunder on the Mountain we moved to different spot and sound improved considerably - everything came to life.

Neil was great. A hard act for Bob to follow. Missed Sam Fender due to delay in checking into hotel. Was expecting great things from Cat Power, but found her a little disappointing. Didn’t expect much from Laura Marling, yet enjoyed her set very much.

I’ll know next time to try different spots to get best sound.

enro99 and jumpinjulian like this.
  15. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

that is one clean, lean, funky 'can't wait'.....very different than the swampy murk of when he was doing it all the time in the late 90s....plus a remarkably focused and "normal" (given natural age limitiations) vocal.....the north country is one of the more straightforward non-absurd vocals i've heard from him in a while...(tho haven't seen him since 16, was averaging a couple of shows a year most of the 21st century) very nice.

mark ab likes this.
  16. onlyconnect

True. Only solution is to be as close as possible to the stage. Much more energy up front. It’s why I prefer smaller venues.

Tim

Newton John likes this.
  17. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Neil was awesome. Played half hits / half deep cuts and really showed who's the master.
    The highlight was (as usual) Words between the lines of age. What a monster track to hear live.
    The only bummer was not to hear Cortez and On The Beach. maybe next time.

Bob was just plain painful. I've been to hundreds of concerts in my life and never seen so many people bail on a headliner. I was by the right side of the stage and saw thousands of people leaving throughout his set.
    I was expecting that moment where things would make sense and soldiered through the end. It never did.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    bobcat and FourWalledWorld like this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

really/ the clips feel like typical Bob show from last couple years

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's interesting when "ordinary" concert goers are confronted with the current Bob. Or, it's almost a given they won't like it, but also surprising they don't know what he sounds like nowadays...one minute on YT as research might help?

20. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I know. And some fans around me were commenting that this was the best show and the best form they have seen from him. But still, I couldn't connect with any of it. I tried, but not for me.

It would actually do him a favour to play before Neil. It would warm up the audience and then Neil would kill it. As it is, with Bob coming after Neil, it's as counter climatic as a show can be.

budwhite, bobcat and arthurprecarious like this.
  21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

many different bob voices lol, (wheezy bob, nasal bob, shouty bob, constipated bob) but its been a good 20 years of late period bob voice we have now, he's kind of mixed in a crooning style now I really dig, maybe the Sinatra stuff rubbed off on him. and the North Country Girl clip is really beautiful. there was an earlier barking bob I wasn't too thrilled with but there are always some moments I like. he's flippin' Dylan

enro99 likes this.
  22. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I have seen dylan about 36 or so times, nearly all in past two decades, and yes, i am always surrounded by very perplexed, annoyed punters. every time. and for most of that time the internet could provide any ticket buyer with a good sense of setlists, nature of band, how bob's sounding, but a surprising number of people don't bother and seem to expect to hear a guy with acoustic guitar and harmonica or an organ-heavy thing or basically BOB DYLAN'S GREATEST HITS the lp.

to be fair to the punters: as much as i generally am fascinated and pleased watching bob do his thing---tho the years right before sinatra era got rough even for me--it is true that often his vocal performance are not ones that would strike a normal human, even a "normal" dylan fan, as something someone should be selling expensive tickets to deliver.

Razzle123, Willowman, mrjinks and 3 others like this.
  23. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Being closer to the stage at Hyde Park can reduce audience chatter, but this raises another problem: the sound mix tends to be more warped the more extremely close you get. You are hearing a weird hybrid of the PA mix (too close) and the on-stage mix (too far). This is true in most venues, but especially so for such a big open-air event.

At these big festivals, performer and audience just have to dig in and go with it, accept the limitations and ride with them. That's the best way to enjoy these huge shows without feeling frustrated.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    enro99 likes this.
  24. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident Thread Starter

Agree to some extent but it’s no excuse for a lousy show. Neil was great. Last year I saw Roger Waters and the show and sound were both spectacular. Tom Petty was fab in 2017 and Macca and Neil did excellent shows in 2010 and 2012. I wasn’t there but Springsteen’s show was tremendous

RoyalPineapple likes this.
  25. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I've enjoyed some of Bob's recent shows, but I've said for a long time his modern style is poorly suited to massive, outdoor events. Neil can pull it off, but he too tends to sound best indoors, the sound magically reflecting off the arena walls.

It's still a great opportunity for a lot of people to have a fun day out and see Bob The Legend, but for a great performance, I'd usually expect him to sound a lot better at a shadowy hall in New York (or, more pragmatically for most of us Brits, a modestly-sized arena in Cardiff).

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.