Pink Floyd The Final Cut 35DP 53 with OBI strip: Holy cripes!

Discussion in 'Third Party Sales & Auctions' started by KeithH, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Keith, I suspect that you are not correct on this. I have a copy of Boston's Don't Look Back 35.8P-7 that came with an obi (black box obi, only titles listed on the back), and is gold-faced with machine-stamped matrix number. So unless someone placed an obi from a reissue on the CD that I purchased, I must assume that the early issue CBS/Sony discs did indeed have obis. The reason you never see them is that they simply have not survived the years.

Also, since the gold faced discs were only issued in the early years (the latest one that I have is Earth Wind & Fire's Powerlight, which is 35DP-44), if you purchase a later issued disc such as the Pink Floyd Final Cut, with an obi that does not reference later issues, then it is as likely as not that you have an original issue and an original obi.

2. swoosh

swoosh Member

Too... much... information.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I also realized that The Final Cut was not one of the earliest issues so that there would not be gold-face, crude-font version. My comments were for 35DP discs in general. That is, that for the early titles, a copy with an OBI strip may not be the earliest pressing.

Back in 2000, I purchased a sealed 35 8P-7 Don't Look Back with the box-type OBI strip. The disc face is aluminum, and it has the neat matrix code font.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but I just have not seen box-type OBI strips with the earliest gold-face, crude-font pressings.

4. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Hey, cut me some slack. Before I found this forum, I always wondered whether there was anyone else who actually cared about this stuff. Judging from some of the prices that we are seeing on Ebay, I guess that there are at least a few. :righton:

The other factor that would tend to make one think that these did come with obis, is that virtually all records, CD's and books released in Japan come with obis. It would be odd if the initial CD's were issued without them. Maybe someone can ask Sony to dig through their files and come up with photos of the original advertisements for this first set of discs. I would love to see that. I would also like to know what titles 35DP-22 and 35DP-23 were.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

I was actually wondering if swoosh had a point. :shrug:

6. StyxCollector

StyxCollector Man of Miracles

A few years back a boot copy of the Glen Burtnik album Talking In Code which was a Japan-only CD in 1987/8 circulated with a fake OBI. I have the real and the fake. Very easy to tell the difference.

As for OBIs themselves - I prefer it if Japanese CDs had them. I just tracked down one album I have on Japanese import minus the OBI. It cost me, but I feel much better especially since it's Styx related.

There are a few CDs I'd pay serious $$$ for especially if it was Japanese and had the OBI, but luckily one is a US pressing. Sometimes money is no object if it's a holy grail item.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.