Popmarket Deals Thread (New Site!)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by GentleSenator, Jun 22, 2020.

1. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if Thread Starter

I know there are several threads asking questions about popmarket.com and the various old iterations of it, but it seems like now might be a good time to start a thread for found deals on the site. I just received a physical (!!!) piece of mail asking me to visit the new site with the following tempting lines:

• FREE standard domestic shipping on ALL orders!
    • 10% off when you spend $75 with coupon code VINYL620

Now they're the same company as Deep Discount, and they also have a version of the "Blowout Bin" but it's called the "Closeout Crate" and I have noticed the prices aren't exactly the same as they are on DD, so uh, maybe @hutlock has some time to help do a comprehensive analysis?

closeout crate on PopMarket

hutlock likes this.
  2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

What's next? Camelot Music re-launches with a "Liquidation Locker"?

Biittner Hair Flyin' likes this.
  3. They also sell against themselves and Collector's Choice (who they own along with importcds) on Discogs

GentleSenator likes this.
  4. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Well I can’t exactly shrink from that challenge, can I? Hahahaha

Without diving too deep yet, yes, Pop Market has generally speaking got higher prices in their Closeout Crate than DD’s Bargain Bin. However, it does have certain advantages too.

First and foremost, you don’t have to wade through NEARLY as much complete trash to find good stuff. It’s there, but not at DD levels. There is actually quite a lot of overlap between them as well, so if something eludes you at one site, you can always check the other.

Second, PM has free shipping across the board, so you can order just one or two things and not worry about having to pay for shipping.

Third, PM has an On Sale section as well as a Closeout Crate, which is clearly marked and displayed right on the landing page. Compared to DD, that’s a much easier time of it as far as looking for stuff you might be looking to save some dollars on.

More to come, but that’s what I can say to start. Looking forward to digging in!

superstar19 and GentleSenator like this.
  5. Most of these prices can be beat easily elsewhere: discogs and Amazon.

Ever since it stopped being a close out portal for Sony it’s been almost useless.

lightbulb likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

ah yes, i miss the old popmarket with ridiculous deals, but there are plenty threads about that already.

as mentioned above, it's just another version of importcds, deep discount, etc. and they're advertising a new site with "better deals".

the threads for the aforementioned sites have been rife with deals for years. i'd encourage you to check out the new site before making blanket statements!

hutlock likes this.
  7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I'd say it's been pretty useless for many years now. At one time, they did, as you state, have some great deals (e.g. the Miles Davis trumpet case). But then it became pretty much a snore after Sony dumped it--and this was long before the company that owns DeepDiscount bought them.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Funny, I found nothing tempting about mine, threw it straight into the trash. :laugh:

9. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

By all means people, please post any actual deals you find here. That would be much appreciated.

Personally, I'm not gonna waste a minute of my own time searching their site..

10. hutlock

I’m think that @GentleSenator and I are going to just pass the deals back and forth between each other actually. Why would we share with you ungrateful lot? Hahahahaha

11. hutlock

Spent some time going through the PM site a bit and am slightly dismayed to report that after going through around 1,200 of the listings in the Closeout Crate, I didn’t see a single thing that isn’t ALSO to be found in DD’s Blowout Bin. Not one.

Blowout Bin is however about a billion times more filled with foreign market stuff that none of us are likely to ever have heard of, but on the bright side you can sort it by format—if there’s a way to sort the CC I couldn’t find it while browsing on my phone at least.

Pretty disappointing if PM just winds up being a less searchable version of DD in the end really.

lightbulb and GentleSenator like this.
  12. GentleSenator

hutlock and sennj like this.
  13. GentleSenator

Also, THANKS10 works for 10% off regardless of amount spent.

14. hutlock

Will be very curious to hear if anyone lands this. That’s an amazing price!

15. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

16. hutlock

17. GentleSenator

...and refunded in the middle of the night. order still shows up in my account, however.

rude!

18. hutlock

Lame!!!

I haven’t seen anything at all from DD about my order... hopefully no news is good news!

19. GentleSenator

doesn't look like they had 'em in stock. item now says "special order" on the product page.

darn.

20. hutlock

All I need is one!!!

21. GentleSenator

this is back and now $73. before coupon.

PM offers free shipping, Deep Discount charges like $8 for it.

hutlock likes this.
  22. hutlock

DD already has this listed as a Special Order item again, so hopefully SOMEONE here gets it this time!

23. GentleSenator

i actually want this thing now that we've been repeatedly teased!

hutlock likes this.
  24. hutlock

Ha! I did go ahead and order the CDs after I got burned the last time but I’d still gladly take it!

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Looking at the exchanges between you, you really should just communicate by PM. :laugh:

DLD and hutlock like this.