Record shop's "Rules": what do you think?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by RiRiIII, Jan 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Val is a huge schlong. He must have plenty of money, cause you are right, he has absolutely no interest in making a buck or not.
    I was in the store once and left after a few minutes, knowing I couldn't browse. (There were other people in the store, so there was some entertainment factor in hearing Val insult them).

2. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

OTOH, at least they're up-front about it. Many places you have to find out the hard way.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

You have a point. I've read some stories on here that are pretty crazy with owners jumping all over customers verbally when the shop has no signs posted.

4. Ratto

Ratto Forum Resident

I'd have walked out by then for (a) the shop selling records only and (b) the unnecessary apostrophe on show.

bluejimbop likes this.
  5. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Way back before it had become completely tourist-infested, the town of Hudson, NY had an antique store staffed by an effete, tiresome, pretentious Frenchman. Okay, maybe a tad redundant there, IDK. But the point of this little story is that he had a regular practice of telling people "I'm sure you can't afford it" in relation to whatever piece of furniture had their interest.

Now you and I know he thought it was a clever way of making New Yorkers feel the need to prove themselves. But it didn't really work out too well for him, because his knowledge of New Yorkers was, shall we say, incomplete.

6. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

What a cool shop! would love to have a few days to rummage around that place!

7. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

I hope you caught the pic upthread advertising "Vinyl LPs" (or is there some other kind?)

Lost In The Flood and Fullbug like this.
  8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

you go in with that attitude, you will find yourself referred to by a variety of creative insults involving your private parts and posterior.

9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Depends on if those rules were written tongue and cheek, cause if there is one way to get me to take my business elsewhere it is standoffish and arrogant shop owners/workers

10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Perhaps something got lost in translation. Greek humour?

11. Archguy

Archguy Forum Resident

Speaking of! I'd like to offer everyone my apology now, perhaps even before you feel you need it.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The problem is, apparently, not being allowed to rummage.

It's not just record shops and antiques stores. Kansas City has a potentially fascinating hardware store, Harry J. Epstein's. But I wouldn't know, as they were always so rude and opposed to my coming in and browsing that I never have bothered.

bluejimbop likes this.
  13. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

He lets Brits browse -- knows they will spend some $$$. Also I heard Lenny Kaye can browse.

The Panda likes this.
  14. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I would say they don't really like their customers very much and should probably find a new line of work where they don't have to deal with the public (aka The Great Unwashed).

I would not spend a cent at this store, even though I wash my hands regularly. As a customer, I like to be appreciated, not ridiculed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting anyone to kiss my a**, but I do expect common courtesy at a minimum.

We have a store here that I usually avoid, even though they have a pretty good selection of vinyl, but I always get the feeling the employees think they are just too cool. I avoid it because it makes me feel uncomfortable. Too bad for them, I guess. Luckily for me, we have a plethora of record stores in the area.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    bluejimbop and RiRiIII like this.
  15. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

'Do not enter '.
    OK. Not going to volunteer where I'm not wanted.

Happily my local store is very friendly.

16. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Honestly, if I were still buying records I would be more inclined to shop there then anywhere else. Those rules tell me that they care about their products. I could be wrong of course but I would still give them a chance.

Fullbug likes this.
  17. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

How does he even stay in business? Even browsing in that joint looks like a nightmare. :(

bluejimbop likes this.
  18. I think it probably reads more comprehensibly in the original Greek.

MKHopkins likes this.
  19. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

There's a bathroom in the store that I can actually use?

All good.

wvsteveo and eric777 like this.
  20. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident Thread Starter

It is the same feeling more or less. I can say maybe worse, because such "British" humor does not translate well to Greek mentality.

21. RiRiIII

Again, the guys are kind and gentle. I have been there and bought records.

eric777 likes this.
  22. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

What’d they want for the congas?

23. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

No vinyl for you!

24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

A while back, I was having a cigarette in a public space outside but not overly near a large London HMV, before going in to spend a reasonable amount of money. One of their security guards came out and unpleasantly complained I was smoking "too close" to HMV.

So I went up the road and spent the money in one of their competitors instead.

RIP Tower, Virgin and Zavvi..

25. RiRiIII

Well done.

BlueSpeedway likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.