DCC Archive Rolling Stones CDs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jkerr, Sep 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I still have yet to hear a good version of "Mother" in stereo - they all sound like 10th generation dubs.

Yeah, 19th in stereo (the non-boot version, anyway) is nicer sounding than the mono. Dito for The Last Time. That's not to say either of them sounds great - more that the monos just sound really bad ;)

It seems as though all those stereo boots have lots of bad NR, to some degree or another. Luckily "virgin" copies exist out there...

Steve, have you ever heard 19th Nervous Breakdown in stereo?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have not, nor "The Last Time". I'd sure like to. :D

3. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

4. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Luke, I know you are in therapy for your stereo fetish. How is that going? ;)

But seriously, beyond the mix differences, isn't it generally unfair to compare Stones mono v. stereo when we're talking about crappy murky mono CDs versus much higher fidelity stereo CDs? For example, Buttons on the London CD is a mile better than the ABKCO but it's not such a fair comparison to me cause the ABKCO would suck whether it was stereo or mono. Does that make sense?

Signed,
    The Contrarian :cool:

5. Sckott

Makes sense there Patman, but there are some neat things you hear (or don't hear) in the Stereo mixes, and while the Mono mix in many cases seem superior (if you want to get down to brass) the Stereo is just more fun to listen to, as long as it doesn't fly off the sonic handle. In the Stones case, it sometimes CAN. Grrr.

By Steve's request - and notice that there ARE inherit turn-pot crackles (or so it seems) on the top of this Stereo version. I EQd' the midrange just a very slight tad, like -1.2db if that around the 1K (can't look back to give precise). No boosting of any kind. 4.3 meg:
    http://people.ne.mediaone.net/seekr/lastime.mp3

This kinda shows ya where it's enjoyable, but not without costs?

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, the point is that the mono mix of 19th has ****ty fidelity, no matter where it came from. It sucks on the ABKCO CDs and it sucks on the London CDs. The totally unofficial never released stereo mix simply has better fidelity...

Anyway, for Steve and others, here are two 30 second clips. I can upload the full versions sometime, but these will do for now:
    http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/TheLastTime.mp3

http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/19thNervousBreakdown.mp3

It might just be the MP3, but your copy of The Last Time sounded really bad to me, Sckott. Where did it come from? My copy has no such clicks...

Of course, for all this and more, just go to my website:
    http://lukpac.org/stereostones/stereosongs.html

There's also clips of 5x5 in stereo there (from EP).

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: Luke Pacholski ]

7. Sckott

Yeah 19th sucks in Mono. That never changed.

I *did* hear a good Mono MP3 of 19th somewhere, but I've lost it since. I know a good MONO exist, I swear, donno where.

My "Last time" came from "Stricly Stereo" from Arcade. (eewww, forget about Could You Walk On Water - I own that one too) It's not the Mp3. It has some sonic nasties in there. Yours sounds better. Where did your's come from?

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ahh, that's why your's sounds bad... :p

Mine's from a non-boot source. Don't know where it came from originally. David Goodwin thinks it came from Dick Bartley's show, but I don't know. It's unclear if Dick got his copy from trading circles, or if the trading circles got their copy from Dick...

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It looks like I've already got The Last Time posted as a full MP3 - forgot about it. Check this out for that and a few other goodies:
    http://lukpac.org/stereostones/full/

Now, don't everybody start overloading my buddy's DSL link... :)

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hmm...nobody's interested in the MP3s, eh?

I'll try to get the full 19th up as soon as I get a chance. It'll be in the same place as the others (in the "full" directory)...

11. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm interested!!! I downloaded those this morning and listened to them on my pc. Going to burn a cdr for tonight.

Of course this begs the question - what's the chance to get these uncompressed? Between you & sckott you guys probably could create a nice compilation!

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ok men (and ladies, if there are any) - 19th Nervous Breakdown in stereo is now up, same place as the others:
    http://lukpac.org/stereostones/full/

To refresh - what's there in stereo:

all of 5x5
    Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
    The Last Time
    19th Nervous Breakdown

5x5 and Everybody are taken from vinyl, the other two from some sort of tape source.

13. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member Thread Starter

Hey Luke! Thanks! I really appreciate those mp3s.

14. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Hey Luke! Thanks!

Sound better than the mono version on my abco Hot Rocks. However, on headphones the drums coming completely out of the left is a bit disconcerting. Might it be possible to fold the mix up a tad towards center?

Anyways, keep on posting your finds and experiments, I, for one, am listening!

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Holy Zoo ]

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Possible, but I must say I prefer all of these tracks "as-is". I think Satisfaction sounds good with some "remixing", but...

I still have yet to hear a high quality version of "Have You Seen Your Mother" in stereo...

16. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

I just scored a London version of Aftermath on CD. It really is an essential purchase and better than the SACD of the album.

You Better You Bet likes this.
  17. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Why stop there? I've got a complete set of the Londons (Got Live If You Want It excepted) and there isn't one I would trade for the SACD equivalent. I found the remasters to be juiced and with over-cooked upper frequencies. The London CDs have sounded great to me for almost 30 years.

Raving Russell likes this.
  18. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Londons, yes. I just recently discovered (from this forum) how good these are.

19. howlinrock

howlinrock Forum Resident In Memoriam

Preference to the West German Londons. I own a complete set with "Live If You Want It"

To Luke the original OP when do think we might get a Stereo version of "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby" or "19th Nervous Breakdown"

NEVER?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  20. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Wow a 14 year old thread has been awakened!

David del Toro and clhboa like this.
  21. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Yeah....my fault!

22. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

It's an interesting thread so why not?

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Beggars Banquet SACD is easily superior to the London CD. Other things are superior to the London CDs too, such as much of Let It Bleed.

Worth noting that the original mono mix of Got Live hasn't been issued digitally, and that while the London CD uses the original stereo mix, there are fades very awkwardly inserted between the songs for some reason.

Officially? I wouldn't hold my breath. Thankfully they circulate.

24. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Is this extract from a list found here: http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/ABKCOs.html still accurate?:

A Summary of Unique Available Stereo Tracks and Sources

Play With Fire 2:14 "Hot Rocks, 1964-1971 (Disc 1)" German/Japan London/PolyGram Only
    Satisfaction 3:46 "Hot Rocks, 1964-1971 (Disc 1)" German/Japan London/PolyGram Only
    Get Off Of My Cloud 3:00 "Hot Rocks, 1964-1971 (Disc 1)" German/Japan London/PolyGram Only

The Last Time 3:25 "Time Trip Vol. 5"
    19th Nervous Breakdown 1 3:53 "Time Trip Vol. 5"
    Have You Seen Your Mother Baby, Standing In The Shadow? 2:37 "Time Trip Vol. 5"

Prodigal Son 3:03 "R.S.V.P. New Version"

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The Last Time, 19th, and HYSYMB are available on lots of different bootlegs. Time Trip 5 is not the best source for them.

Play With Fire is *very* narrow stereo on at least some copies of the old ABKCO Hot Rocks CD, but otherwise Hot Rocks 1 is the only place for that and Satisfaction. Get Off Of My Cloud was in stereo on Hot Rocks 1 and some copies of December's Children.

bobcat likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.