Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality and General Discussion: "Nice 'n' Easy" - 1960*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Jun 19, 2010.

1. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

The song was recorded after the album tracks, Matt.

Bob F likes this.
  2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Boy, I'm on a roll tonight, Martin. Time to retire.

Of course, you are correct! I think the rest of my ramblings were accurate, but can I go hide now? (Embarrassed.) I fixed the post; thanks.

That aside, any ideas as to the how/why of this odd mix?

3. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

(Not to add to Matt's embarrassment, but...) The song was recorded nearly six weeks after the other album tracks.

And if you have the MFSL Gold CD, don't go by the recording dates shown inside the gatefold sleeve: It's the only thing MoFi added to the Capitol liner notes, and they got it wrong. The title track was recorded April (not March) 13, 1960; the rest of the LP was laid down March 1–3.

MLutthans likes this.
  4. MLutthans

I'm good at adding to my own embarrassment, Bob. :) I do it all the time.....

CBackley and MMM like this.
  5. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

For the newbs in the audience, like me, can you please explain why this is so?

6. MLutthans

Standard orchestral set-up has violin I on the conductor's left. Even when folks like Stokowski started doing split strings, etc., it was still violin I at the conductor's left. Tradition, I guess? Whenever I hear high strings over on the right track, I just cringe. (I'm not kidding, it's really a "thing" with me. Gotta be on the left.) You know how the Walsh WHERE ARE YOU CD was remixed backwards? Probably didn't bother most people? I had to make a copy that was re-remixed in the proper orientation. Made my head hurt. (...and I'm not usually OCD about stuff.)

CBackley and mikrt17 like this.
  7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I don't think I've ever been to a concert where the strings were on the right side of the stage.

McLover likes this.
  8. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

o_O

:)

9. MLutthans

No, I'm really not OCD about most stuff. Seriously. I'm very "go with the flow" in virtually all areas of my life, but all my CDs sit in their cases perfectly straight, and the violins had better be on the left where they belong, dang it. My truck's a pig sty and all aspects of life are a total mess, EXCEPT for those two things.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Can you play any sort of strings, Matt? I'm serious...

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No idea Matt. I actually seem to forget about it until you bring it up from time to time. I think if we can find an earlier release of it, maybe it might help make sense why it exists? Maybe not?

I listened to that clip. It sounds peculiar to me - narrowed and Frank off center. I'm playing that clip through headphones and it makes my head feel a little off. Maybe some phase weirdness?

12. MLutthans

Yeah, there's something definitely fishy there. Apileocole pointed out to me that it was narrowed a year or so back, and, honestly, I hadn't even noticed that until he mentioned it. I'll dig out the 12" single and see how it compares.

MMM likes this.
  13. MLutthans

Meh, I took violin pedagogy and had to play for a quarter in college, but I didn't do enough to advance beyond El Stinko.

14. MLutthans

Re: The remix on the Canadian CD:
    I checked, and it's not out of phase, but it is out of balance, with Franks voice a little heavy right.

OK, strange update here! (Like I told Martin a few posts back, I'm really on a roll tonight!)

I dug up that 1986 UK 12" single I was talking about in post 75, and it uses the STANDARD stereo mix! I probably haven't played this since 2008 or so, and I thought it was the same as the Canadian CD mix, but my memory was incorrect, apparently. So....now the question becomes: Which versions of The Frank Sinatra Collection contain the remix????? Can anybody chime in? I'm talking about this CD:

lnup5xm94ve35pml.jpg

My particular copy is on Capitol from Canada, catalog #S2 48616, "Printed in Canada" on the disc and "Mastered by EMI MFG" in the center hub area (on the disc, not the plastic). Also laser-etched there is matrix info as follows: "48616 CA" and "CA 1-1-2."

I've seen the CD on Ebay in a Japanese pressing and a UK pressing, too. Same mix on those, I wonder?

From discogs.com, here is the face of the UK CD. Mine looks identical, except for the catalog number and the "Made in UK," etc., in those boxes along the left:
    R-1786049-1338316959-8039.jpg

....and here's the matrix info, which is much different from my Canadian copy:
    R-1786049-1338316966-5269.jpeg

And here's the Japanese version:
    $(KGrHqN,!iUE3UO2R0USBN4Fjdc-9w~~_3.JPG

Interesting that the Canadian and UK copies have the EMI logo at the top of the disc, while the Japanese disc has the Capitol logo in that location.

To summarize, here's a clip of the (now-we-know "truly" unique) stereo mix of Nice 'n' Easy from the Canadian pressing of the pictured CD: https://app.box.com/s/rbd8cop8kt0b8x858kio

DOES THIS APPEAR ON OTHER CD OR LP EDITIONS OF THIS ALBUM?????

Also, since the UK 12-inch single is pretty scarce, here are clips (all iTunes compliant -- no free giveaways) of all three tracks from the UK 12-inch single itself, just for kicks:

Nice 'n' Easy (original mix, as it turns out): https://app.box.com/s/4vitmc7rsdae744ethvx
    Come Fly with Me: https://app.box.com/s/13j0d548cr6kmbro9qhg
    One for my Baby: https://app.box.com/s/xrws87ipw4cahs6zfouy

I think that last track sounds extra nice!

Sorry about the confusion as to that remix. It is on the Canadian CD, but not on the 12-inch single. I'm curious about other editions of the CD, and I still would love to know where that mix really "came from."

Matt

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  15. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Some of the Walsh Sinatra remixes issued in 1987 - COME DANCE WITH ME! and SWINGIN' SESSION! - were narrow mixes. I wonder if there's a connection, whether from a producer or engineer standpoint. I can't imagine Larry placing Frank off center though...

16. MLutthans

Lunchtime (here) bump.

Anybody have the UK or Japanese CDs from two posts back???? Or other thoughts about the genesis of this weird remix that's on the Canadian CD?

17. MLutthans

Nobody here owns this LP or CD?????
    [​IMG]

CBackley likes this.
  18. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Not I...

19. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Nor I...

20. MLutthans

You *KNOW* that I'm going to wind up having to buy a copy if nobody has one.

h929788B6.jpeg

Nobody has one????

bozburn likes this.
  21. OldCoder

OldCoder Well-Known Member In Memoriam

Matt, I don't have the CD, but I have a copy of the LP.

22. David m bond

David m bond Forum Resident

I don't have this cd.
    Its not the version on Sinatra 80th

I just played the S80 cd vs the uk capitol 21cd version and the S80 is reversed.

So this one doesn't match the Canadian one either but still different.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  23. << I don't have the CD, but I have a copy of the LP. >>

Same here.

24. MLutthans

Can either of you confirm that it's the original stereo mix that we all have heard a hundred times? (I assume it is.)

From post 89, here's the original mix clip: https://app.box.com/s/4vitmc7rsdae744ethvx and the oddball remix that appears on the Canadian CD: https://app.box.com/s/rbd8cop8kt0b8x858kio.

Thanks!

25. SinatraFan

SinatraFan Well-Known Member

I have that CD. It was mentioned by someone in one of the sound quality comparison threads. It looks just like the UK disc but states "Made In Holland."

The matrix info matches too, except the last number is a "3" instead of "1."

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013