Stereolab appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moth, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Moth

Moth fluttering by Thread Starter

I started listening to Stereolab early this year, and I have not been able to stop 10 months later. I wanted to create this little space to talk about this beautiful group of boys and girls and the music they left behind. I had tickets to see them this year, but of course that was canceled along with everything else.

What are your favorite albums? Did you get to see them live? Tell me about it!

2. Moth

Moth fluttering by Thread Starter

Their early music seem to get short shrift from most, but I'm a big fan of their early 90s, droney, VU-ish work. "Stomach Worm" is a favorite.

3. Uncle Ernie

Uncle Ernie Forum Resident

I've been meaning to dig into this band. Look forward to reading this thread for insights.

BoogieFish and Moth like this.
  4. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I was able to see them last year. I figured it would be a decent show but they were outstanding. Laetitia's voice was so good and the band was tight. I remember leaving wishing I could see them like once a month.

sjaca, Moth and Davey like this.
  5. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

Love this band. Got to see them twice last year. This years show got cancelled (obv). Hopefully they keep the reunion going.

Love the reissues too. managed to get all the obi strips that they put out.

Moth likes this.
  6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

A great group that no one seems to know about

Moth likes this.
  7. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

Appreciation? They are easily my favourite group of all time.

There is just so much great music to go through

Take Fab Four Satire for example. An album that is seemingly dismissed even by serious fans. Its everything that pop music should be - intelligent - creative - melodic.

I had a chance to have a brief conversation with Laetita after a solo concert. Be warned. She is wicked smart and quick witted.

Saw Stereolab last year in concert. I've never seen an audience as politely rapt in their full attention. Need to Be was a highlight.

8. Sky Dawg

Sky Dawg Forum Resident

I do like me some Stereo Lab "Dots & Loops" being a particular favorite.
    Sadly, I've never seen them perform.

9. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I fully agree. Of the countless concerts I've attended I've never experienced that before.

Moth likes this.
  10. RadiophonicSound

RadiophonicSound Electrosonic

Saw them a few times in the late 90s/early 00’s and again during the recent reunion gigs. Just as good as ever.

Moth likes this.
  11. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Those recent vinyl reissues are great but disappearing. I have two so far but have had to pace myself due to so many other releases. Well worth it. Get them while they’re available at retail.

polchik and Moth like this.
  12. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I bought a few of them but I also have some originals too. I should probably try to snag the last two or three albums while I can.

13. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I haven’t been able to stop listening since I first heard them in 1997! I go back and forth as to whether Stereolab or Phish is my favorite group, but they’re top two anyway.

I like pretty much all of their stuff, but my favorites are the run from Mars Audiac Quintet to Dots and Loops, and Aluminum Tunes. I even like the last couple of albums, which I know are not popular.

Even though I started listening when Dots and Loops came out, I was never able to see that version of the band. In 2006, my brother and I drove from Syracuse to Philadelphia to see them on the tour after Fab Four Suture. That was the bigger band with Joe Walters playing horns. And then my wife and I drove up from Fort Lauderdale for both Georgia shows on the 2008 (Chemical Chords) tour. I got tickets for both the Atlanta and Athens shows when I heard that they were playing “Jenny Ondioline” on some of the dates. I figured that would double my chances of seeing it. And they did play it at the 40 Watt.

Stereolab was about the last band I thought I’d ever get the chance to see again. Tickets for the US dates went on sale on my birthday last year and my present to myself was tickets to the two Brooklyn shows and the Toronto show. I still can’t believe how good that band sounded after ten years off. And they looked a lot happier to be on stage than they did on that last tour. Andy Ramsey looked stoked to be on stage. Even Tim, who’s not a huge fan of playing live, seemed more comfortable than when I’d seen them before. We had tickets for two more shows this year, but obviously those didn’t happen. The tickets for the Pittsburgh show are still in my ticket clip on my fridge.

14. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Discovered them with Emperor Tomato Ketchup and have been hooked since. Everything except I think their last album got expanded with extra tracks last year and are totally worth picking up. No one sounds like them. Have fun!

Alright4now likes this.
  15. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

Excellent band. I enjoy all of their music and saw them live a bunch of times throughout the 90s/early2000s. So far I have picked up 5 of the somewhat recent vinyl reissues and they all sound pretty amazing.

16. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Tim looked like he was having the time of his life when I saw them in Milwaukee last year.

17. DwarfMcDougal

DwarfMcDougal Forum Resident

Jeremy Novak and Timothy Gane release their debut 7” as Ghost Power. Numbered, handstamped and with the name of the purchaser handwritten onto sleeve. One copy per person.

Asteroid Witch / Inchwork, by Ghost Power

18. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Saw them twice in one weekend last year & they were excellent... with some truly transcendental moments.

Love all of their output & bought all of the clear vinyl reissues.... though sadly only 2 with the obi’s..... but I ended up with number 1 of the signed Sound Dust! :)

19. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

My favourite band of the 90s/00s. I first saw them on the tour with Tortoise at the Astoria, around the time of Emperor Tomato Ketchup, and then for most tours afterwards. Never the same without Mary.

All their records are worth having, Although the final couple are a bit patchy there are still great tracks on them, I think.

I bought all the reissues, and was pleased to get the scratchcard freebie, to sticki n a box with all the other Stereolab bits!

sbeaupre, Neonbeam, rancher and 2 others like this.
  20. Hedley Lamarr

Hedley Lamarr Forum Resident

There is nothing like this track, from a highly original album:

21. Jarra Lad

Jarra Lad Forum Resident

Feels like a great song for me to end the night with. I have a hard time remembering many Stereolab songs by their title but playing this one now takes me back to a good place. The noisy bits remind me of Pale Saints - another big love of mine.

gabbleratchet7 and Hedley Lamarr like this.
  22. Hedley Lamarr

Hedley Lamarr Forum Resident

Great pick. I see lots of similarities between the early Stereolab years and the hard-edged unsung 4AD bands (Throwing Muses even).

You can also hear some MBV in there.

Jarra Lad likes this.
  23. Isitquiex

Isitquiex Forum Resident

I saw them live last year for the first time and walked out with this song lodged in my head - it's still there

24. john beacham

john beacham Forum Resident

Was not familiar with Stereolab at all until I picked up 'Cobra & Phases Play Voltage in the Milky Night' on recommendation from my local record store guy. Oddly enough, it's their worst reviewed album, but I LOVE IT. The sound quality is superb on this reissue. The music is completely original.

There were several more Stereolab LP's in the bins. I may pick up 'Dots & Loops' before it disappears.

25. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Missed this thread though I participate in every other Stereolab thread!

one of my favorite bands for sure. I love the early stuff like “We’re Not Adult Orientated” and the Transient album but equally love Margerine Eclipse, Fab Four Suture and Cobra. Crazy, but Dots and Loops is pretty low on my list really

Hedley Lamarr likes this.