Technics SL-1200Mk7 Owners... Your Impressions So Far?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cyclone Ranger, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock Thread Starter

See subject. :)

Oh, and any sound-quality or build-quality comparisons between the Mk7 and the MkII or 1200GR would be most welcome as well.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

AcidPunk15, Lucca90 and displayname like this.
  2. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Curious too, thinking about going this route now, wasn't sure if I wanted to. But if reviews are negative (which I don't suspect they will be) I will wait, or go another route. Also like to know what cartridge and phono preamp it's being used with.

3. Cyclone Ranger

What I'm sort of expecting is that the early-adopters will report a really good turntable, with some minor-but-annoying 'teething problems'.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Have mercy on anyone that posts anything critical about Technics on this forum. The torches and pitchforks will surround them quickly. I fear as though I may have already said too much.

5. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I don't need the DJ features, so I could look at the 1500C, but it costs more. Not sure where it is improved over the Mk7 for having less features, and a bigger price, although the less is more philosophy sounds good to me.

Are there certain cartridges (non-DJ) that get high marks for a SL-1200? THinking about an ATVM540 with its own headshell, like this: Audio-Technica VM540ML/H Cartridge & Headshell Combo

6. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Likely. A couple of early YT videos complain of the feet, for DJing, but I saw it more as an advantage for audiophiles.

7. U-96

U-96 Active Member

After the early, quick impressions in January when it was presented, there are surprisingly very few - if any- in-depth reviews of the mk7 to date.

AcidPunk15 and Aftermath like this.
  8. U-96

U-96 Active Member

Interesting comment. I would like to know the history :)

9. Cyclone Ranger

Kowabumpa.

JediJoker likes this.
  10. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Technics owners are a rather defensive group. Kind of reminds me of the “Moonies” from years ago. I have heard that Technics includes a setup disc and side 2 simply is a loop of “Thou shall not place any turntable above me”.

Like Dennis, I hope I haven’t said too much already. They play rough when you don’t bow down to their idol. :angel:

11. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

Careful...….
    [​IMG]

:D

Hey, say something negative about a Rega if ya' really want to incite a riot!!! :wiggle:

12. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

To quote one of my favorite artists, “Better bring lawyers, guns, and money “ if you mess with us. :p

13. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

Still no new owners here yet? I know it just landed state side. But it is pretty high on my list.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  14. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Can't provide the history but can give you an anecdote. When I went into my hifi shop 8 years ago after purchasing a SL-1200 mk5 and wanting a decent phono stage, the salesperson kept saying I didn't have a real turntable and should get instead, if you can believe it, a Project Carbon! I suspect others have received similar comments over the years. Have Technics people taken it too far in the other direction, sure, but there is a lot of unjust hatred towards the Technics SL-1200.

If anyone is in doubt, you should listen to the head to head shootout Ian did between the Technics and Rega P3. Even with the crappy sound of Youtube, you can hear the differences. I have both decks and love them almost equally, but I am afraid the Technics is slightly better. If the Mk7 is equal to or better than the Mk5, then it should reign supreme as the best new deck under a grand.

15. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

You, I got similar comments from a guy at a local Hi-Fi store when looking to buy a cartridge.

16. Cyclone Ranger

Well, my guess is that and the Schiit Sol will likely be the new 'sub-$1k Kings'... though we'll have to wait a bit longer to judge the Sol (probably September).

Hmm... and seeing as the Rega Planar 3 would then become the displaced 'former under-$1000 King', I wonder if Rega will become incentivized to fold in one or two of the cheaper aftermarket-mods to the P3 and raise the price to $995, say.

IOW, they may need to do a bit more 'fighting back' performance-wise now that they're facing stronger competition. Improving the Elys cart wouldn't hurt either.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  17. U-96

U-96 Active Member

Is there an embargo on reviews for the Mk7? It’s been out for a few weeks and I can’t find any authoritative comment, only unboxing videos or quick reviews when it came out in January. Weird

Aftermath likes this.
  18. IRG

IRG Forum Resident

I know one vendor has them, but I've been looking at the TTL, and they still don't have any in stock it seems. Maybe it's still a bit premature to see many reviews? And most of the vendors that I look at that specialize in more belt drive tables, don't seem to carry Technics either. I'm hoping places like AA or NeedleDoc will add this line in the future.

PhxJohn likes this.
  19. Helom

Helom Forum member

And even more unjust praise.

20. U-96

U-96 Active Member

B&H and Guitarcenter already had their fist shipment and at least B&H is already backordered twice. It shows as top seller. People are buying but not talking about it? At least in the DJ community, you would expect someone expert to review it against GR and MK2-5

21. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

That was my opinion as well until I brought a GR home to try-out. Initially I was unimpressed sonically. But after a couple weeks of mat and clamp swapping I discovered a combination which made this unit sound fantastic. And now my Linn sits idle most of the time.

However I will completely agree with you about the older generations. I do not believe that those are in the same league as the G or GR.

punkmusick likes this.
  22. Helom

Helom Forum member

No, they're certainly not. I was also referring to the early generations. And even though I admit the MK2 is a good table for what they sell for on the secondhand market, they're hardly giant killers or reference-grade.

23. russk

russk Forum Resident

Technics tables are great fun on forums. No ones even come forward with any first hand information of the sort the OP is looking for and already the butthurt is great on the side of the Technic’s haters. :laugh:

My main table is a Rega by the way so don’t really care one way or another about this table.

I do wonder if it is made in Japan on the same production line as the G and GR tables and if so how they managed to cut the costs

Anyways just find it funny how the brand generates so much animosity. If only he had asked about after market power cord recommendations for the table as well. That really would’ve got this thread hopping.

24. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

Hi there,

I've just received my brandnew MK 7. I own one GAE from 2016. Previously Rega P7 &P3 owner.
    They have managed to cut cost by manufacturing them in Malaysia.

25. LIZEE

LIZEE Forum Resident

About MK7 review :

I was only just listening yesterday during 2 hours after replacing the original power cord by one CHORD power cord and by using CHORD chorus RCA interconnects and on choosing, as cartridge, the sumiko blue point EVO III.
    What I notice, in comparison with the GAE, is a soundstage maybe less wide but stunning bass and as much detail.
    After a break in period, I could give in the future one more detailed comparison between both of them by using the same headshell , cartridge and interconnects and on choosing one reference LP( Supertramp - crime of the century)