“The Boys” from Eric Kripke and Amazon-

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by wayneklein, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The whole idea of the “Compound V” was hilarious in so many ways. Like how the real life actors who play Marvel Super Heroes also have their own Compound V lol.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

I wasn’t sure what to make of this after the first episode but I kept at it. I’m glad i did, on Ep 5 now and really liking it. I like the premise, a good change from all the super hero movies that abound.

vince and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Yea, I enjoyed this.

Cupids_bow likes this.
  4. I've only seen the first 2 episodes as I had to leave for vacation, but wow, the first 2 were very, very good.

I read the comics as a monthly so I know the story. The thing is, unlike Preacher, they can go off-script for the TV show and still make it work. It's working. It's hitting all of the beats to great affect.

Looking forward to watching the rest of it. :) Season 2 is already greenlit?

5. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Big fan of writer/creator Garth Ennis so I’m going to check this out at some point. I thought Preacher ranked as the greatest comic series of the late 90’s but the tv show has mostly dropped the ball for a whole laundry list of reasons. The Boys comic series didn’t hit the same highs (especially emotionally) as Preacher but still had much to recommend it. I’m almost desperately hoping this show comes close to the best aspects of the comics.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  6. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

Watched EP1 last night. I'm in.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  7. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Yesterday at the gym my buddy mentioned he was going to start watching this. Afterwards we’re in the locker rooms at the same time an MMA class ended and all these naked men are walking around. As my buddy was leaving I yell out to him “make sure you watch The Boys.” I got some strange looks from the naked guys nearby!

8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Finished it this afternoon. Astoundingly dark but totally worth watching, it was really moving at certain times - like the death and resurrection of "the female."

vince likes this.
  9. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Yes, they are different in tone but when speaking to content (and I wouldn’t say Rodriguez more Tarantino with a touch of Hitchcock) The Boys at least didn’t crib from other, better sources. Some,of that was logical narrative development (there’s only 36 dramatic situations and there are only so many ways one can resolve them) but creatively, it’s far richer IMHO than TUA which I found derivative and disappointing in terms of its resolution.

10. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

We're 7 episodes in and definitely enjoying it. I also agree it was about ep 5 that really nailed everything together, but the first four are still enjoyable. Will watch the last episode tomorrow night.

That said, I watched Brightburn twice in the last three days. It's not a "good movie" but it's a hell of an experience. Shocking, and I love it in that "I hate myself for loving this" way. But it's different, and that's good (enough).

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wow, what a show. It's violent and nasty as hell, but I laughed as often as I cringed (which was frequently). It's a terrific show if you're kind of annoyed by the massive proliferation of WB & Marvel superhero franchises. I was surprised to see Eric Kripke's name on this: he was behind the Heroes show on NBC ten years ago, which had a few moments not too far removed from this new show (particularly in supernaturally-powered humans who go bad).

I did not see the surprise ending coming at the end of the final episode, show #8. Holy smoke...

12. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's why I decided to watch it. I liked it a lot. Karl Urban was fantastic, Erin Moriarty was a real charmer and it was great to see Elisabeth Shue.

13. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Anyone else here also read the comics? As much as I enjoyed the show I'm still not sure about the departures from the comics, some of which are very major!

14. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

About ten issues in so too early to tell yet.

15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Kind of a strange comment. If there's filler, it's because they ran out of ideas. More episodes would just equate more filler... which isn't what you want. :cool:

16. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

The comics are amongst my all time favourites, and having re-read them after I finished the Amazon series the differences were pretty glaring

17. I read the whole series as a monthly as they came out.

I think in this case, unlike Preacher (their first outing with a Garth Ennis comic), departures from the comic are necessary to translate it to TV. The Boys, as a comic, works because you can stay on one subject for a long time, even digressing quite a bit with humor, but try to put all of those beats on TV and audience will get tired of superheroes behaving badly. So many of those issues had "The Boys" sitting around the office learning things, plotting, with many more superheroes prancing around in the pages. With the TV show they had to jump to why very quickly, rather than wait until somewhere between Season 3-5 to learn about Compound V if it followed the comic.

The way they are doing it now, I believe, the spirit of the comic is handled quite well. There was more humor in the comic, right? It was a straight up piss-take. With the TV show they've allowed for a little more solid drama, and even some moments where we see that the Supes have feelings, too (no matter how misguided they are). You have to do this or the audience won't buy it.

Was anything unnecessarily changed? Yeah, I think so. For one, I would have liked to see Bill boffing
    CIA Director, Susan Raynor, so that Bill could get info, while Bill and Raynor got their fetish on.
    Pulling that bit was unnecessary. It created a good dynamic in the comic. There are a few more points in the comic I would have liked them to keep, but hey, you can't satisfy everybody. This way, however, the show is garnering big praise, with many people none the wiser. An 8.9 on IMDB is pretty good. 94% on Rotten Tomatoes.

That said, as much as I enjoyed it (and I really did), it's second-tier television to me, meaning popcorn television of the highest class and order. I mean, it's no Mindhunter or Mrs. Maisel, but it's damn good. Excellent even!

Honestly, I hope The Boys ends up turning some people off the common crap than Marvel and DC puts out. If there were really superheroes, The Boys would be pretty close to the way it would be in real life. Only in real life, unlike say, Superman or Homelander, for that matter, superheroes would probably do some real good in the world (planting crops, keeping the icecaps from melting, cleaning up the ocean, etc.) before they get up to no good in their private lives.

marmalade166 likes this.
  18. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I finished this last night and really enjoyed it. Yes, it’s pretty dark though. I think I’ll watch GLOW S3 next to lighten things up. :D

My only complaint is that Butcher and Frenchie’s accents/slang are sooooo thick that I would have to replay parts of their scenes to understand what they were saying.

souldeep69 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Same here. Frenchie's accent makes me turn the subtitles on.

souldeep69 and GreenDrazi like this.
  20. Canadacrowe

Canadacrowe Forum Resident

The opposite, my view was this could have gone one or two more episodes with a bit more character background without feeling like they were including filler episodes. In comparison, I find many streaming series (amazon or netflix originals, especially netflix) seem to need a prescribed number of episodes versus how many the story actually needs. I usually find there's at least one episode that's not central to the story, or does little for character development. As an example, Stranger Things Season 2 was 9 episodes -- one was a total throwaway. The final season of Jessica Jones was also 13, but could have been a much tighter story with 10-11.

Vidiot likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

In the end, it's all subjective. Your worst episode will be someone else's favorite. Not all episodes need to feature character development to be entertaining or rewarding.

22. The Fly.

Bender Rodriguez and Canadacrowe like this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Out of context, I don't know what that means. I haven't watched the series yet. Is that the title of an episode?

24. Chris DeVoe

It's a reference to an episode of Breaking Bad where a fly gets into the otherwise perfectly sterile meth lab.

EVOLVIST and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Although... it's hard to buy a 56-year-old woman as the birth mother of a brand-new baby. :sigh:

I think there are some interesting political and religious comments in the plot line which obliquely refer to things going out right now. To me, it's good as a spoof but I'm not prepared to take it as anything more than that.

EVOLVIST likes this.