“The Lion King” (2019)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Nov 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

They cannot sit idle with their properties, good or bad, wise or unwise; if this creates net positive cash-flow their goal is met.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

this one will generate some major $$$$ inflow, the 10 year olds who loved the 1994 movie are now mid-30's with kids of their own

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, and I imagine plush lifelike toys of the animals will sell pretty well.

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

A shot by shot comparison 1994 vs 2018.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Meh. Let’s redo what we’ve already done and make some bank.

Did I say ‘meh’ already?

6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes, as well as the parents of those now-adult kids...It was my 27-year-old’s first big-time in-theatre movie experience, and we are all down!

This is something many of us can really enjoy w our kids, no matter what ages. Kinda like a remix, it offers another way to enjoy a familiar favorite. Not everyone likes remixes either.

And thanks for the shot-by-shot, @Deuce66.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Stupid baboon holding my progeny over a cliff? I’d never let that happen.

8. Al Smith

Al Smith Forum Resident

I’m suprised no-one’s asked the big question - will Elton John (with Grand Piano in tow, I hope) be appearing on these wild African plains?

9. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

"Caaannn you feeell the love tonight". :)

MikaelaArsenault and Al Smith like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I sort of doubt it. I imagine there will a new version of Circle Of Life sung by some current teen Pop Star.

11. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

It's incredibly well done but the Framing and General iconography of the original is better in almost every scene. A bit Hyperbolic I know, but it's as if someone is doing a photorealistic Remake of the cave drawings of Lascaux. A bit pointless and something is lost.

MikaelaArsenault, Mr. H and JPagan like this.
  12. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Posted by Disney on their Twitter/FB page.

To our entire pride: Thank you for helping the teaser trailer for The Lion King become the most-viewed Disney trailer debut ever as it reached a record-breaking 224.6 million global views in 24 hours!

13. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Hmmm — clearly not too soon to “rehash” this classic, i guess. :p

14. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Animation has come a long long way since 1994.....

16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

new trailer

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

18. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I love Kimba! :righton:

P.S.

Movie studios are creatively bankrupt.

19. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I don't understand how 100% CGI can be considered "Live-Action". Can we get a class-action law suit going to get this farce rectified?

MikaelaArsenault and Deuce66 like this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Reviews are started to come in and they're mixed, the new one is 30 minutes longer going from 88 to 118.

'The Lion King': Film Review

The more pronounced realism delivers some scenes with a shade more power, notably the sight of the elephants' graveyard and Simba's multiple (too many, actually) encounters with the ever-prowling, teeth-baring hyenas; the new vividness no doubt accounts for the shift from a G to PG rating. There's a spiffy cover of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" sung by Beyonce (who voices Simba's childhood friend Nala) and Glover, along with a new Beyonce number, "Spirit." Perhaps the greatest special effect of all is the luster of the lions' fur and coats.

But by and large, very few remakes, other than Gus Van Sant's shot-by-shot reproduction of Psycho, have adhered as closely to their original versions as this one does. Everything here is so safe and tame and carefully calculated as to seem predigested. There's nary a surprise in the whole two hours.

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

My god, the reviews are horrible...

Those are somehow missing here. The songs don’t have the pop or the splendor. The terror and wonder of the intra-pride battles are muted. There is a lot of professionalism but not much heart. It may be that the realism of the animals makes it hard to connect with them as characters, undermining the inspired anthropomorphism that has been the most enduring source of Disney magic.
    ‘The Lion King’ Review: The Art of Herding Digital Cats

Unfolding like the world's longest and least convincing deepfake, the new "Lion King" fatally misunderstands what once made Disney special...
    ‘The Lion King’ Review: Disney’s Remake Is a Disastrous Plunge into the Uncanny Valley

However, like too many of these recent remakes of the Disney animated library, the emphasis is on “realism” at the expense of entertainment value. At almost every turn, this redo undercuts its own melodrama by downplaying its own emotions. The key direction seems to be “like the 1994 version, but less.”
    ‘The Lion King’ Review: Be Prepared For A Crushing Disappointment

The photorealism is striking and impressive, but something feels weird about the voices. It’s not like people can’t imagine talking lions, of course. But it’s distracting in a way that’s not ideal — it’s uncanny and disjointed at the same time, as if real zoo animals are being anthropomorphized.
    Disney’s Lion King remake is just like the original, but without the magic

MikaelaArsenault and mikeyt like this.
  22. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Jon Favreau's Chef is a great little film. The first Iron Man still holds up. I wonder if at this point Favreau has lost the passion to make tentpole films and does them just for the cash. I also imagine that he may have had more creative input in Iron Man than any of the other tentpoles he's done at this point, where the directors are almost production babysitters. I feel like Favreau's streak since Iron Man has been a pretty low bar (except Chef).

MikaelaArsenault and budwhite like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Well, Jungle Book did make $966 million dollars worldwide and got very positive reviews, so there is that...

The Jungle Book (2016) (2016) - Box Office Mojo

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Enjoyed the 1967 Jungle Book film. That’s about it.

25. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

More than one review makes the point that the real-life faces of animals have little expressive range, which gets in the way when you’re telling a story where animals are supposed to display human-like emotions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.