Tower Records online experience

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Vagante, Sep 26, 2021.

1. Vagante

Vagante Forum Resident Thread Starter

I searched the subject but only found memories of old times. (I had them too) Anyone have experience with the new Tower records? New Tower have any connection to the Solomon family?

2. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

I pre-ordered their exclusive Counting Crows: Butter Miracle Suite One (butter yellow vinyl) on April 30; shipped upon release in decent packaging. No problems whatsoever. Would order from them again.

Greenalishi and Vagante like this.
  3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No experience. Tower Records in the US is nothing but a brand name now, with no relationship at all to the original Tower.

4. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

Can’t remember what I purchased, it was a cd not vinyl, but it arrived within a week of ordering and it was packaged well.

5. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

I wanna go back to Tower Greenwich Village 1983 and buy records and swag, 2021 sucks.

whatprogress, Cody B and musicfan37 like this.
  6. Oscar Calero

Oscar Calero Member

I used to love Tower Records outlet in New York city a lot rare stuff and imports for half the price

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

8. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

For all you Tower Records fans out there I thought you might enjoy seeing the original Sunset Strip location with the store signage restored for an upcoming streaming mini-series on L.A. icon Angelyne this past October. A project I worked on the 2012 film Rock of Ages recreated the storefront in Miami where the L.A. set story was filmed. I don't recall seeing Tower in a film or TV project since then. This was nice to see but also very sad, as the world of retail music has changed so much since Tower Records locations roamed the earth.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
    musicfan37 and SJP like this.
  9. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Your photos (which didn't translate to the website thread but were in the email I received) remind me of the SFO Tower, near North Beach.

Thx for that!

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

The photos are up, you may have been viewing the site exactly at the moment I was re-doing their links. So glad you enjoyed them!

11. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

Does anybody have photos of the Sunset Tower Records store from 1992, with a blow-up of the Jesus & Mary Chain's "Honey's Dead" in a one of the shop windows? The Jesus And Mary Chain - Honey's Dead

12. belyin

belyin Valid Where Prohibited

I have fond memories of their New Orleans store and antipathetic ones too. Fond because they hired genuine music lovers (quite a few of them friends) and gave them surprising autonomy in ordering in their areas of interst. And just as with music, their magazine section was wide ranging and open to independent voices. It is where I was introduced to Sound Practices and Listener magazines among other vices.

Antipathetic because of the larcenous workings of the bankruptcy process. When they declared, "their" inventory was sold to a liquidator—but for local New Orleans artists (a substantial part of their business in the French Quarter) this inventory didn't belong to Tower but to the local musicians or labels who had their music at Tower on consignment. Thousands of dollars of "product" were taken from the community.

Bandleader D.J. Davis "stole" all of his cd's he could find from the store during the going out of business sale and dared security to call the cops—a scene reenacted in the premier episode of the Tremé TV show.

Since I produced less popular modern jazz records, I didn't lose too much, but the bankruptcy had the ripple effect of undermining the last remaining independent distributors as for most Tower was their biggest customer. My releases were carried by NorthCountry, about the only national distributor for independent or self-produced creative jazz, and they were owed enough by Tower that they were effectively forced out of business.

chazz101s likes this.