Uncle Floyd Show Returns On YouTube and Zoom!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FredV, Jun 14, 2020.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

My Thursdays are booked, but I might give the Monday night deal a try tomorrow.

I first saw Floyd and the gang live in Passaic in 1977 or 1978. I last saw Floyd playing piano to the dinner crowd in an Italian restaurant, maybe 15 years ago. I'd love to see some of the old skits - Eddie Slobbo, Ken Do, Intellectual Digression (did I remember that right?), Don Ho Hum ...

2. RayS

Paid my $5 and I'm ready for some Uncle Floyd!

FredV likes this.
  3. FredV

FredV Senior Member Thread Starter

I watched tonight too, I hope you enjoyed it. Longer show clips are shown on Thursday nights, details on unclefloyd.net.

RayS likes this.
  4. RayS

I actually remembered watching a couple of those sketches in 1982!

FredV likes this.
  5. FredV

6. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Used to watch him back in the day on UHF. Bumped into him a few times in the 80's at the Passaic book store he used to hang out in (I worked a block away from that store, always in there buying old audio magazines, but huge comic book selection). Saw him a few times recently (last few years, but not this year) doing stand up for a yearly fund raiser at Holy Name Catholic School in Pequannock. He's still out there doing shows, what a nice man, funny as hell, can still make people laugh.

Ginger Ale likes this.
  7. FredV

Last nights Uncle Floyd Zoom-cast featured Davy Jones, Squeeze and Buster Poindexter aka David Johansson.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Fred,

By remote chance did the segment with Squeeze have them performing a song? Or was it just a talk segment?
    Marshall

"Laurel & Hardy: The Definitive Restorations" Blu-ray Review

9. FredV

10. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Wow, that's great! I'm sorry I missed it. I thought he wasn't showing the music segments because of rights issues, etc., but
    I'm glad I was proven wrong.

Marshall

11. FredV

It’s only on the YouTube clips that he’s not playing the song segments. On the Zoom and StageIt casts, since it’s paid private admission he’s able to,

12. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Okay. Sounds good.

Marshall

13. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

I loved The Uncle Floyd Show.
    Always looked forward to it.
    Great show.

14. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Buster Poindexter? That would be later Uncle Floyd. Do you know the year?

15. FredV

1984, on the same day Davy Jones taped his appearance. I was at the studio that day. Davy and his family had already left when Johansson arrived at the studio. Scott Gordon pointed out to me that Johansson was wearing high heeled shoes. What a Doll! :D

16. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

So awesome you were there, must have been a great show.
    Saw David Jo many times and hung out with him in small clubs. Way before Buster was hot, hot, hot.

17. FredV

Due to power outages at the studio location, the Monday July 27th, 2020 Uncle Floyd Show has been cancelled. All other Uncle Floyd events for this week are still on schedule. Check the website for schedule and updates.

Uncle Floyd's schedule - UncleFloyd.net

18. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

This is great. I was a big fan back then (while in college). I even sent in artwork that one time made it on air. I'd love to see that again. For those interested, back then (and now) I am a terrible artist, and draw like a 5 year old. I sent in a caricature of Charlie Stoddard (one of Floyd's on-air companions) with the caption "What do Charlie Stoddard and Santa Claus have in common? Answer: on Dec 26 they both can be found on the unemployment line. I believe it aired the day Reagan was sworn in as president in Jan 1981.

RayS likes this.
  19. RayS

I remember 2 "pictures" I had on the wall. One was Scott Gordon meeting Buddy Holly - "Hey Buddy" says Scott (as he always did). And one was just the phrase "Botta Rotta". We were at war with the guy, after all!

BwanaBob likes this.
  20. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I sent in two others that were more risquee. I have no idea if either of them made it to the air, but I hoped they at least got a chuckle when the staff reviewed them. The better of the two was another childlike drawing, that one was of Looney Skip Rooney standing in front of an old jalopy attempting to start it. The caption read "Looney Skip Rooney holding his crank".

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    RayS likes this.
  21. RayS

LOL. The more one knows of Skip the funnier it is. :)

BwanaBob likes this.
  22. FredV

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Man, I loved Uncle Floyd when I was a kid - on Ch. 68 and Ch. 50. I even got a picture on there, that I sent in some time in the mid-80s. I remember I got a laugh from the crew because I wrote "Don't Watch Poldark" on there somewhere, as they were really hammering that show when it was on PBS at the time. Made my little head explode!

BwanaBob likes this.
  24. So it may be time to see what this Uncle Floyd character is about. Never seen his show, but remember him being frequently mentioned and pictured in Trouser Press way back in the day.

25. FredV

If you check out the shows, please keep in mind if you’ve never seen them before, that most are nearly 40 years old and the humor may not go over in today’s time. Keeping them in the context of their time is the best way to approach them.