Universal players that don't read the SACD layer

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fortherecord, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member Thread Starter

My universal disc players; Mcintosh MVP861 and Pioneer Elite DV59vi will only play the CD layer of the SACD's I put in. They both play single layer SACDs with no issues, so I can't figure out why or how to get them to play double layered discs as SACDs. These were both fairly expensive and decent players. I've gone through the settings and menus for each player, over and over again. Any suggestions or advice about this?

2. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Try cleaning the lens of the optical pickups. If that doesn't work, it's time for new ones.

3. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Did you check out page 73 of your Pioneers' manual

According to the "Options - SACD playback" menu........ you have 3 choices.

1. 2 CH
    2. MCH
    3. CD

Are you saying that when selecting Number 1 you only get the CD layer?

If so then that is definitely an issue!!!

Did you try a full reset of the player?

What are you seeing that confirms CD and NOT SACD.........the display?

I am checking out your McIntosh now and will post back shortly........

Good Luck

fortherecord likes this.
  4. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Checked out your McIntosh..........

Follow the instructions on page 31 of their User Manual.........

Use the players screen or plug in to a monitor.

Same deal as the Pioneer....simply access the menu and set the desired SACD playback mode.

Once again.....if you have ALREADY done this then you may have another issue.

Hope I helped a little bit at least. :)

fortherecord likes this.
  5. fortherecord

Thanks, yeah I've tried those different settings, both player read CD when the disc is playing. If they were reading the SACD layer it would read SACD.

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Hi,

Sorry to hear that.
    Maybe the Pioneer's just getting old.
    You would think that a McIntosh product would last forever though!!!

Good Luck

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

I've got a Yamaha DV-C6770 that will not play either SACD layer of only one of my hybrid discs: the 2006 Deram UK issue of The Moody Blues' On the Threshold of a Dream. All my other hybrids, regular CDs and DVD-Audios play properly.

. . . and yes, it is getting old.

8. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That McIntosh and that Pioneer might use the exact same laser transport mechanism, i.e. The part that's responsible for reading discs.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have an Oppo DVD player that started having a problem with SACD, not the exact one you describe, but being unable to read discs and distorting when using multichannel. Fortunately they offer out of warranty repair for $38 plus shipping one way and they fixed it and sent it back. Works perfectly now. Perhaps see if either Pioneer or McIntosh offer any kind of out of warranty service?

10. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Here's a listing for a new laser for the unit. I've replaced the laser in my Oppo and wrote about it here.
    Good luck with getting your player working again!

fortherecord, dkmonroe and Dino like this.
  11. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I've read on this forum that some of the Moody Blues SACDs will actually fail over time. I didn't believe it until my Every Good Boy Deserves Favour quit working. The SACD/Surround layer won't play at all now and it used to. And I don't think it's my player as all of my other disks play fine.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have a Sony Universal NS999ES that doesn't recognize some dual layer SACD. It's not the particular disc but the player because it sometimes plays them and sometimes plays the redbook layer and nothing I've done has changed that.
    I'm told it's a sign of an aging laser so I'm making plans on getting a new machine.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It seems like a lot of work and the cost of the laser to repair your 83. Did you contact Oppo about it? Quite often I've seen people post that Oppo has repaired out of warranty players for no charge other than shipping.

Bill

14. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's not just a shipping charge but it's not much more than that. They charge $38 for out of warranty service and you pay to ship to them, the return ship to you is included in the $38. So it's about $50 total. It's a great service. I don't think there's a direct link on the site but I had a email conversation with their tech department over several days describing the problem and confirming that I tried several troubleshooting steps and they eventually sent me a link to the repair order. You just put it in the cart and check out like any other product and then package and send the player to them. I got mine back within 5 days, all fixed and working great.

15. Reese

No, I didn't bother asking Oppo about it. I didn't want to be without the unit and enjoy fixing things myself. There are a lot of steps, but it's pretty easy and not much harder than opening up the case to clean the laser.

16. IanL

IanL Senior Member

My NS999ES hasn't played the SACD layer of a hybrid disc in a long time. I have had it unplugged and sitting there unused for several years now. But I LOVED how it sounded and I'm not crazy about any of the affordable currently available options to replace it. So I just ordered a new optical laser lens pickup from that eBay store that Reese linked to above. It took some browsing, but I finally found one with the right model number in the name.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OPTICAL-LASER-LENS-PICKUP-for-SONY-DVP-NS930V-DVP-NS999ES-/281071008964?

For $38 it is a no-brainer to give this a shot before investing in a new player.

Reese likes this.
  17. Reese

Let us know how it turns out.

fortherecord and IanL like this.
  18. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I recently a laser for my Denon 3930 from this seller.
    It worked but not much better than the original.
    They've been good to deal, another laser is on the way.
    If that doesn't pan out then maybe the laser isn't the only problem and I may just leave it at that. Don't think it's wise to sink a ton of money into it

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

This one failed out of the box.

20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Thanks. I like that. I can't do the work myself but I have someone that can if he has the part. I'm going to look into this. I had something else go out on mine, I think it was the pwer supply but might have been a Dac, I can't remember. I had a real hard time finding someone who would even bother trying to repair it. I found an old retired guy that keeps his shop open for something to do to get out of the house. His hours are relaxed but he seems to know what he's doing and he's really cheap!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Ditto cleaning the lens. My Denon out in the patio never fails on DVD-A but when SACD's load as CD I know it's time to trot out the Q-Tips and isopropyl alcohol. Works every time.

fortherecord likes this.
  22. fortherecord

How do you get to the lens to clean it?

23. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Assuming you've gone so far as to remove the outer shell of the unit, the lens itself is usually accessible at that point--if not, try plugging the player in and use the eject button to get the disc tray out of the way enough to get a swab in there.

[​IMG]

quicksrt and fortherecord like this.
  24. fortherecord

Thanks!

pdenny likes this.
  25. IanL

IanL Senior Member

I just installed the new pickup and it won't read any discs at all. Mechanically, it appears to be working as designed, but no play. Oh well, $38 to know for sure, this player is DEAD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.